Melee Weapon Type: Arm Swords (With Sprites!)

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Alternal, Nov 30, 2012.

?

So, would you like to see Arm Swords in the game?

1. Yes I would!

93.8%
  2. Yes, but I have something too add:

6.3%
  3. No, because....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Description:
    These are a less conventional weapon that isn't seen to often outside of fantasy, be it anime or video games. However, being my favourite type of weapon, I'd like to see this in game for sure!

Arm swords would work pretty much like any other sword or melee weapon, however the blade would be attached to your forearm and would be more a part of you than a conventional weapon.

Benefits to Arm Swords:
    • Since the blade goes along with your arm, there's less of a swing required to use it, meaning faster attacks with less of a recoil!
    • Of course one on each arm just makes them all the more powerful.
    • These blades should be faster than normal swords, so when you get up to an enemy you can tear them apart.
    • If blocking is a mechanic, I'm not sure, then these blades cover your entire forearm, so they can totally be used as shields.
    • They can be used as a good close range weapon for people who want to use a pistol or other one handed gun, so it gives you some melee capability.
    Downsides:
    • Very close range.
    • Since they're smaller, they will most likely be less powerful than regular swords, until you find or create some really powerful ones.
    Sprites:
    I decided to make some sprites too show some possible designs. I'm not overly good at sprites so take from them what you will!

Design one: More pointed, I had a poison based blade planned for this one.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Design two: Just a purple steeled blade, it's larger and has a wider tip than the others.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Design three: A very simple yet appealing 2 sided design. This one is my personal favourite!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Note: All of these arm swords can be dual wielded or used by themselves.

In conclusion:
    Arm Swords are capable of fast attacks at close range while offering defensive abilities if they are indeed implemented. They are a unique type of weapon to have in a game and would pose as a formidable choice!

And of course I'd like this thread to get some actual attention. So, as always thank you very much for reading and I look forward to some feedback! :love:

WoxandWarf and Chaos_of_Ages like this.
  2. Chaos_of_Ages

Chaos_of_Ages Void-Bound Voyager

I also like this type of weapon. Just imagine tearing through creatures with an electrified arm sword.:cool:

Alternal likes this.
  3. Alternal

That's what I was going for hahah.
    Glad some people are liking it!

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

HAHAHA! Have you heard Claws?
    [​IMG]

Anyway, this is form google img, and yes they do sell this weapon online and you can get it in real life. To the topic, it is known as claw blade or known as gauntlets blade. That was the origin pose to be made idea...

WoxandWarf likes this.
  5. Alec5h

Alec5h Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want one. NOW.

6. ChaoticGamer

7. Alternal

See that's different though, but on the right track, something like that could be used with the same mechanics.
    And actual arms sword covers most of your forearm and is a single jutting blade instead of a short claw.
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking along these lines. (Ed Elrich from Fullmetal Alchemist.)

creepwolf and WoxandWarf like this.
  8. ChaoticGamer

Hey, guess what who invented that? Blacksmith who made claws, and giving men idea to create gauntlet blade then came to anime then to the game "AC" they call it hidden blade.

9. Alternal

A hidden blade is completely different from an arm sword though.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  10. ChaoticGamer

Not true, what was from a sword it is still sword even a dagger is still blade of the sword. Hidden blade is use on vambrace which it is part of armor and known as blade from other direction. The idea of the hidden blade is pose be assassin and thought of being claw mastery and blade, so your pose to be a ninja with small dagger as your claw weapon.

11. Alternal

I know what a hidden blade is................
    I'm saying that yes they are similar, but these are mounted in a completely different fashion and are not supposed to be hidden, nor do they have any mechanical features.

12. Malbutorius

Malbutorius Void-Bound Voyager

Yes! Now we can play as Predators! Although they seam to be the perfect weapon at the moment, I mean they can be used as a sword And a Shield just seams a bit over powerd, And since they are faster they would logicly be weaker.

EDIT: Well now that I think of it if parry mechanics were in the game we could replace the ability to block with these weapons with the ability to parry.

Alternal likes this.
  13. xxMixerxx

xxMixerxx Void-Bound Voyager

Looks very cool! I would use this in game :)

14. Bolt

Bolt Cosmic Narwhal

I like the idea.

Maybe be also a black blade which would be called "Darkness blade" and the white blade would be called Light blade? You should also add a tiny shade of gold into the white blade so it does not look plain. Other wise great work. :)

Alternal likes this.
  15. Alternal

I included that they would be weaker in general, however I'd hope that you'd be able to make some powerful ones to use.
    And thank you! I'm glad people are liking the designs.

Monster likes this.
  16. Bolt

Bolt Cosmic Narwhal

Maybe it can be used as a knife as well where you can jab enemies or power swing at them as well?

I think that would be great.

17. Alternal

See I was wondering if the stab mechanics were like Daggers in Terraria or not, and I'm sincerely hoping they aren't. Simply because that mechanic made them so very useless, it was pretty much impossible to actually use one effectively unless an enemy was directly in front of you.
    If you had an option to stab OR swing, that would be totally awesome!

18. ChaoticGamer

it is still a blade, it doesn't matter mechanical features in it at lest it is basic from claw or claw blade. *off topic* It remind me the time I drew something similar idea during my pass year when I was freaking bored out my mind and trying calm down with my chaotic brain blasting so I was using drawing to soften my time. So I drew this on paint

[​IMG]

I had more drawing then this I let u know

I hand more, but I only show couple few here and there around my time being.

19. Alternal

That's called a gauntlet sword, and it's a good design!

I just want this weapon in game hahah.

20. WhiteWeasel

WhiteWeasel Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was thinking something more organic:
    [​IMG]