Race Meet the Monophytes

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Suika Ibuki, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

Everyone, please up vote this in the new suggestions section

pigrocket likes this.
  2. Wait, what? New suggestions section? Upvote?

3. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

4. MoonyJello

It's currently on the sixth page.

5. But it's on page 1 of NPC's and Creatures.

6. MoonyJello

Don't settle for second.
    Get it on the front :p

pigrocket likes this.
  7. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

This is a fascinating race idea.
    It's so unique.

8. I'm not sure why it needs to be upvoted, but eh. I'm surprised it's doing better than Parfelians :P

Though I'm kinda out of ideas. If you can give me some stuff to think about to better this race [e.g. lore stuff, traits, tech stuff], do tell.

9. I suggest you explain their culture more, but not so solidly that the devs can't alter it to fit them in the game. They're vagabonds, but they still must interact enough to create towns of some kind. You need a culture to better explain why they leave their homeworlds in small groups. Since humans are taking the role of a super generic race, I don't think you can say it was disaster.

10. You mean expand on this?

"Monophytes have, ever since, grown more fond of "magic", or as one would usually call it, advanced technology. Unfortunately, the truth is hidden from the eyes of common folk. Solar-powered machines, light-emitting panels, and even laser-powered whips, the heretic Visionaries monopolize the use of the technology they have developed in order to gain more profits and are blindly deemed as the Sorcerers of the people..

Small groups of Monophytes have since witnessed such a corrupt leadership, and has taken their knowledge of these advanced technologies and escape to the stars, hoping to find safe haven from the Visionaries, who have vowed to find and end their lives."​

11. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Could make a mock up model of their ship design maybe some armor would be good as well, also starter tech bonus for the race would be good ie avian glide

Edaniel and MoonyJello like this.
  12. MoonyJello

That's a good idea Tojo, I'd love to see the ships.

13. Nevermind, you have it covered beautifully. But what you should do is draw them interacting/ fighting. More than the technical drawings you have now.

14. Kingpendragon

Kingpendragon Big Damn Hero

Nadroz, blind sniper, LukØs and 2 others like this.
  15. MoonyJello

I don't think that'd really be necessary honestly.
    It wouldn't add too much to the topic.

16. I know you want to keep these things short, but it's worth it when you can draw like Suika.

17. MoonyJello

Well if you put it like that I don't see why not.

18. Dissonance Bone armor
    [​IMG]
    Despite lacking the need* to hunt for food, Monophytes hunted for sport, ritual, and breeding purposes. Typically, their choice of prey would be humanoids, and as such, makes headhunting a lot more dangerous as opposed to hunting non-sentient lifeforms. In order to improve the rate of success in headhunting, the Visionaries have developed armor capable of instilling fear into their prey, while at the same time provide armor and enhanced movement: The Harmony and The Dissonance. Due to the element of fear against humanoids added, both harmony and dissonance can deal more damage to sentient humanoids than on any other creature.

Harmony provides the wearer with enhanced agility, however, are better fit for Monophytes of great finesse; a skillful melee monophyte wearing harmonious armor can dance through a battlefield with ease, avoiding the blows of those who attempt to swipe her with their swords. Unfortunately, it does not provide much bonus towards range users.

Dissonance, however, provides the wearer with raw strength. One does not require combat skill in order to efficiently use dissonance. This type of armor is typically used by mass armies or by headhunters who prefer to attack head on and without a care in the universe. It allows the user to forward, immediately shortening the distance between himself and his enemy. Similar to Harmony, it doesn't provide much to a ranged user.

Note: Harmony and Dissonance Bone Armors' headpieces can be lowered to cover the face and also come in different helmet variation [Each variation contains the 'skull' of each of the races, and the brand for the novakids]

Note 2: If you want a sprite, don't bother. I'm a sucker for details, and my sprites will end up looking way too elaborate and I'm pretty sure people are just going to go "the sprite doesn't fit the style of Starbound", even if it's just an example sprite. ¬_¬

[Okay, would you rather they have a chance to deal more damage to humanoids, or they are capable of performing a "charge attack" with Dissonance, and a "dodge" with Harmony? I'm not sure if the latter will work since most racial armor bonuses are passive. I'd like to hear other ideas as well on this.]

19. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Ohhhhh so this was the dissonance/resonance idea you had very well done

20. That armor looks fantastic, but I can only imagine it would be a real pain to sprite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.