Race Meet the Drale

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Camera, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

The backstory does specifically say "artificial dragons" (I'm kind of confused as to why an advanced species would dedicate the resources to making dragons). And again this isn't the only, (nor do I consider it the best) dragon suggestion. While I don't support them either, the Dragoknights are arguably a better suggestion. Lets not forget there is specific reference to "Elemental Powers" and "Magic" of these people as well within the first few paragraphs.

2. Kethrius

Kethrius Orbital Explorer

I can agree with that, I see your point. Perhaps some change can be made to make that more viable. But ignoring that for the moment, I do think the art for the sprites is better than that of the Dragoknights.

3. Sousuke Kuroda

The art doesn't matter, its the story in the long run. In this case its very bland and makes little sense. Why were a species building artifical dragons? Why would they have magic?? I'm sorry but to me the Dragonknights story is just better. I'm well aware thats my opinion.

If he can polish off the story then thats great, it might increase his chances. Seeing as they're still humanoid dragons it would have a bit of an impact on their chances of getting into the game. I mean, the Lycanthropes are incredibly popular, but the Novakids were selected over them, that doesn't bode well for any of the dragon suggestions.

4. Camera

Camera Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You have good points, I will probably have to scrap almost everything and try to piece together something better. :notworthy:

Sousuke Kuroda likes this.
  5. Omega-9124

Omega-9124 Industrial Terraformer

Hey, thats why they call it a suggestion. If it works out, great. If not, oh well.

6. Camera

Okay, I think this History makes a bit more sense. I think it was a pretty good idea to scrap any ties between the old one, though I'd still like to keep the setting pretty "dry" haha.

7. Rotary

Rotary Pangalactic Porcupine

IMO The sprites should have A LITTLE Noise.
    Looks rubbery.

8. Camera

I just used the human sprites as a base. :X

EDIT: Gonna make some more "Scrap weaponry" sprites

9. .:FancyPants:.

.:FancyPants:. Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm going to go straight out and say that this sentence is totally and completely false. Though, whether it can really be false or true you could argue for, as it's an opinion.

I do appreciate that you've said
    Yet I feel it necessary to point out to you that saying the story is more important than the art relies on so many different factors about what exactly you're talking about in the first place that you couldn't possibly say it and truly mean it.

First of all, you should consider what game you're addressing. Starbound is a low-res game, and I'm not stating that as a positive or a negative, but as a fact. Making sprites for the game that look perfect is not an easy, nor a feasible, task; so I do agree with you that the art will not be as important towards the appeal of Starbound as other aspects of the game.

However; I think you're being biased by stating that the story is enough more important than the art that you would put down this race suggestion in favor of another because you don't feel the Drale's story is good enough.

Keep in mind your opinion is influenced by the introduction of the Dragoknights before this one -- maybe it seems like some sort of attempt at copying the Dragoknights, but I can assure you it is not -- of course, I don't know you personally and I can't vouch that you're the kind of person that jumps to conclusions as such; but what you've stated so far seems to suggest that "because Dragoknights has a better story and also has art just as good as the Drale, the Dragoknights deserve more attention".

Obviously, that isn't the case entirely and I'm picking only the negative points of your own argument. For that I apologize. Maybe I've misread the situation and you can correct me on every point I've stated here if that's how it is. I wasn't particularly bothered by your comments (as they are your own opinions) until you caused the author of this very thread to say
    Although it's much more of a personal and off-topic statement, I knew Camera was in progress of creating this thread before it was made and anticipated it until it had arrived. I remain in full support of this race. I would hate to see it get changed because you only convinced him to change it using the Dragoknights as support for your argument. While the two have very similar looks, they just aren't comparable by story.

Dargona1018 likes this.
  10. Sousuke Kuroda

I have a feeling you've really misunderstood me. The art used in a species suggestion is just to give the player an idea of what to expect. Ultimately the Starbound dev team decides what the race is going to look like. Hence the story and idea are more important.

Even taking the art into account I don't think this race is as good as the Dragoknights, and I don't even like the Dragoknights.

My opinion isn't at all influenced by the Dragoknights because I don't like them either. Furthermore if one species suggestion is better than another, why shouldn't it get more attention? I'll explain my position regarding this race. The fact that it is a humanoid dragon species that uses magic is the major issue here. This isn't a medieval fantasy game, and while I can appreciate that Camera has tried to make the race more suited for sci-fi, the fact remains that they are directly referenced to as Dragons and are stated to have numerous magical capabilities. This species doesn't fit, it has unfair advantages and shouldn't be implemented into the base game (you can mod it in, I'm not going to fight you on that), whereas the Dragoknights, despite my dislike for them because they are also a humanoid dragon species they don't use magic and have a much more in depth story. The artwork may not be as good, but artwork is meaningless seeing as the developers will ultimately make this race.

11. Camera

I-I-I got rid of the magic! ;_;

12. I like it! The sprites are well done (If a bit bland) and I really like the post-apocalypse theme. Glad to hear you got rid of magic, since it wouldn't really fit (although I'm sure there will be a mod for it). Anyway, nice job.

13. TheScout

TheScout Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, so THIS is where I see all the familiar usernames.

Also, I don't think Camera should give up due to one guy's slightly negative opinion over pretty much everyone else's encouragement.

14. Camera

They were pretty good points, that story was deemed to be changed in some way or another.

15. Sousuke Kuroda

I don't recall saying give up, I was encouraging him to work on the idea more. Which I'm glad to see he's done.

16. .:FancyPants:.

.:FancyPants:. Pangalactic Porcupine

The dev team is also capable of altering the story and ideas though, so from that perspective the story is equally as important as the art.

Yes then, I've misunderstood that. I took your quote of
    And assumed you meant you liked the Dragoknights and disliked the Drale, despite the really obvious beginning to the sentence. Sorry about that.

Whether one suggestion is better than another is entirely opinion based. I feel this race should get a reasonable amount of attention, if not the same, as the Dragoknights. That is, however, entirely on how the community decides upon which they like better. I don't believe there is enough evidence so far to conclude which the majority is for, and frankly I'd rather not start a fight between anybody in finding out.

I do understand the points you make, in that Starbound does not seem to be heading in a direction which will support this race from actually making it into the game, while the Dragoknights seem more prepared to be added. I don't disagree with that; I was hoping to change your point of view on that broad sentence you were using earlier when suggesting improvements to this race.

17. Idris

Idris Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome as usual, Camera.

18. EnderRydel

EnderRydel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm gonna go with the consensus here and say I'm really liking the art/sprites for this race. Possibly the best looking lizard/dragon race I've seen suggested on the forums. Visually I find them far more appealing than the Dragoknights. To the person who said the artwork isn't as important as the lore when making a suggestion for a race in Starbound, I'm also going to call that as false. Chances are there are tons of people out there who could care less about the lore and simply selected their favorite race for no deeper reason other than "They look freakin' cool!" I for one would be more inclined to play as a Drale than a Dragoknight simply due to the fact that I like the way the Drale are designed and, frankly, think the Dragoknights are kind of ugly.

On the flip-side I WILL agree that the lore needs more polishing. So far we don't know much about the Drale aside from the fact that they're a band of anthropomorphic lizards that evolved from the wastes of a post-apocalyptic planet. As people have previously mentioned they don't really have a unique identity that sets them apart from the other 7 official races yet, though with some more depth to the lore I could see this idea becoming something really great.

19. Rotary

Rotary Pangalactic Porcupine

Aren't we getting some battery power MP clone?

20. Rafasmeers

Rafasmeers Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very creative Race and very cool Sprites!
    Just thought some colors could be a little less strong.