Race Meet the Desulti

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Jonesy, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Thank you. This is the sort of thing I'm happy to look into.

2. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

I'd object that leap from aboriginal to modernish culture is somewhat unlikely, maybe have something instead, like them not really having much culture developed altrough having advanced further in technology, untli the very moment they have contact with mankind, and then, after being introduced to something brand new to them, completely assimilating it? Like, how before assimilating Greeks Romans didn't have much of unique culture. One problem would be the lack of explanation for aboriginal culture items if those will be present as props, but another solution would be having their culture not have advanced since tribal times despite some more advanced technologies, maybe even gunpowder or electricity.

Also, another idea of mine. Maybe instead of a probe have a human astronaut crash landing, and telling them of his home country?

Jonesy likes this.
  3. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Fun fact: The AI was originally a human survivor, it was just recent changed from him to avoid the issue of direct existing race influnance or such. XP

Jonesy likes this.
  4. Jonesy

Yeah, I might give them a slightly more complex culture to begin with.

Also, we did initially have a human survivor, but that was changed after getting some feedback.

5. CubeX

CubeX Void-Bound Voyager

I don't want to sound like a retard, but more pictures would make it more intresting. Just to make it more appealing to read. I did read it all and that would be awesome, but at first that huge wall of text scared me : c

6. Jonesy

No worries. I'll have a word with the artists, and see if they can get some more material together. If all goes well, I'll PM you when we have something.

CubeX and linkthegamer like this.
  7. CubeX

CubeX Void-Bound Voyager

Cool.

Jonesy likes this.
  8. Jonesy

Alright, made some changes to the early history, making them slightly more civilized than tribal. I'll have another look over sometime.

Also had some delays with the artists, but I'll try and get some work commissioned.

9. SPARTEN1337 X13

SPARTEN1337 X13 Big Damn Hero

the thing is it wasn't a person in the thing, it was space probe with some rudamenary things on it and an AI, not a person. also the AI taught them culture and some tech then the Roos figured out how how to become spacefare a milineia or so later.

10. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Unless I'm mistaken, the opening post has been edited since my post was put up. Jonesy may have changed a lot of details since then.

Jonesy likes this.
  11. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

It was a human previously, so it made sense that it spoke about the continent Australia specifically and had very little else to offer. However it didn't make sense that its stories would somehow uplift the "Roos" as quickly as it did because 8-10 decades is not a very long time, and based on how it was written, it sounded like the human spent less time teaching them about science and more time teaching them about Australia. However it was then changed to an AI, which made more sense because an AI would last longer but didn't make sense in that the AI acted like a human born in Australia who was absolutely infatuated with the nation.

edit: Should add.

Part of the reason it was changed to an AI is because by having one of the playable races uplift another race, you're asserting that that particular race is inherently superior to the others.

Nerva and Jonesy like this.
  12. Jonesy

That's right. I've made a few revisions since it was originally posted. It was initially a human survivor in a ship (as I figured he could learn their language and establish communication), but I changed it to an exploratory AI in a probe for a variety of reasons.

Nerva likes this.
  13. SPARTEN1337 X13

SPARTEN1337 X13 Big Damn Hero

ah, well now i'm imbaresd...

14. kik4444

kik4444 Existential Complex

It's an interesting concept, but they'd have to have a decent racial ability. And since the Apex can already run fast and jump high, I don't see what's left for this race, except the clothing you mentioned on the first page.

15. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Honest mistake, really. No harm, no foul.

16. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Currently they have long jump (jump farther than other races).

Jonesy likes this.
  17. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

Neat if this gets made i'm making a grey one with a blue vest named Rocko

Jonesy and linkthegamer like this.
  18. Jonesy

Roo armor lets them jump longer distances. I was initially unsure how much this would interfere with the Apex ability (i.e. jumping high), but I decided that height and length would be two very different things in gameplay terms. As such, I figured being able to jump a longer distance would be different, but still pretty useful.

19. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

You should probably go with greater speed rather than longer jumping, because even though height and length are different, its a little too similar to the Apex-

Forget what I said above, instead it could replace the walking/running with long, faster jumps that increase speed.

20. Jonesy

The thing is, faster movement speed is confirmed for Apex armor. The devs have mentioned they may also be able to jump higher. I figured jumping longer would still be different.

What you're suggesting is that they, instead of running and walking, is jump? That might not be very good gameplay wise, as you kind of need the control given by basic running and walking. What about if they move faster when they jump (i.e. are still in the air before they land)?