Race Meet the Desulti

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Jonesy, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Ovyerus

Ovyerus Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know where you put it.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

So...ah...did we have any support for rebooted history?

beari78 likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I say rewrite it as many times until you like it.
    After all it is your concept in the end of the day, in a mod which has yet to be fully conceived.

With that said - you could always have both histories.
    In the real world we have 2 histories. True History and Pseudo History.
    As the famous saying goes - The Winners Write the History Books.

Which would explain why there are 2 histories - raising doubt which one is the "True history". You could even make it a small side quest to find out which geopolitical group is trying to modify the history and their nefarious intentions as to why. [ Or Nobel ]

You know the stuff stories are made of
    Intrigue, Drama, Violence, Betrayal, and Winter is Coming.

Beatrice and Jonesy like this.
  4. Magma Claw

Magma Claw Existential Complex

I could help with the sprites .. maybe sometime..

Beatrice, rhomboid and Jonesy like this.
  5. AURAfalco

AURAfalco Void-Bound Voyager

I like this race concept :D Me being an Aussie myself it'd be great to see a race of roos.. even though I'm still sticking with my original chosen race (Avian) xD

Human, monkey, bird, robot, fish, plant, lavarock and roo.. seems pretty balanced ;)

Jonesy likes this.
  6. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I find it a bit depressing that your great race, which has so much background, detail, fan stuff, even some kind of literature (short stories), is not yet represented in the modding section. I'm not going to say anything against other modders who may only concentrate on the aspect of creating "something", people who have the abilities but not the spirit for a well-thought description of a race... but it makes me a bit sad that there are still not enough developers/modders to create this long-running project. :(

Regarding the history, I don't find your description shallow, as it shows the "great lines". It may be interesting to hear more about some personalities, as people mostly like history because of its "stories". Were there some known rivalries? Great personalities like scientists, artists, military leaders? Tragedies regarding a certain state? Shady political leaders who were responsible for the "unity" of the race?

However, such detail may be more interesting in some codex entries, or other stories like you did before. I'm not against your approach, and I also won't suggest a change, but if you have a new idea or got an inspiration, be free to share it with us. :)

Jonesy likes this.
  7. Jonesy

Hmm...you might be on to something. Instead of rebooting the history, maybe I should just flesh it out more. I'm sure the unification of the Desulti alone would be very interesting.

beari78 and Beatrice like this.
  8. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

I feel like the big gun on the bottom of their ship should be switched with the top one, and the small turret should be made slightly bigger. It just looks offbalanced and cluttered on the bottom with that giant gun there.

9. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

I really like how you have the history. It reads very much like an actual historic overview of something. If you were taking a crash course on the history of any given nation, it would sound like that.
    It seems like if you were to look into any specific time period, or specific events, within Desulti history, you'd find out more information, just like with real history.

So if you're going for realism, I'd say spot-on.

Jonesy likes this.
  10. Jonesy

But being in space, surely being overbalanced isn't really an issue?

11. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, if the ship were to dip, you'd have to fight the ship doing it's best impression of Sandra Bullock in Gravity.
    The reverse of the guns would make more sense as the bigger gun on top would also have more room to aim and manuever.

12. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Yes, from what I've read, it seems to be the most interesting part which may also be the background for some interesting stories/historical novels. Especially if some people hardly refused it, and someone has to use machiavellian tactics to overcome the traditional tribes. I don't know how much your idea has evolved yet, but these stories have repeated over and over in human history. Starks and Lannisters are no invention by Martin. It begins with the Roman Civil War and spans over the time of Cesare Borgia, Napoleon and Bismarck until today. The fight between autonomy and centralism, between personal values and political efficiency is one of the driving factors of all societies. It's also an inspiring background for interesting personalities. So, go on, you terrific kangaroo. :)

Jonesy likes this.
  13. bayley

bayley Cosmic Narwhal

Is Joey a popular name in their culture?

14. Jonesy

Not so much. The naming convention I used in Desulti Chronicles was a bit different, with names like Virbon, Amius, Tiroti, etc. Basically a mishmash of Latin words (Amius is based on the Latin word "amicus", meaning "friend").

In the mod, I may need to change this to the [WORD][WORD] style Starbound currently has, though.

15. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

So, "Scippio" would be possible?

16. Jonesy

Well, the naming convention I was using uses original words made up from the Latin translation of the person's position or role in the story. It doesn't use full, existing Latin words.

17. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

you could choose a bunch of latin prefixes and suffixes
    or make prefixes and suffixes, like "Virbo-" instead of "Virbon"

Jonesy likes this.
  18. Jonesy

So, I'm getting back into writing codex entries for the Desulti. If anyone would like to submit their own, I'd happily look over them. Should they fit the lore, I'll happily include them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  19. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Should they fit the?

Kangaroo from the future sent to stop Joey Conner from making Jump net.

20. Jonesy

Fit the lore.