Race Meet the Anodynes

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Suika Ibuki, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Vitre

pigrocket likes this.
  2. Window? [​IMG]

3. Ellie x Vitre OTP
    [​IMG]

4. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

honestly, I think this race is good enough to be its own thing...why lose hope?! lets keep this thing going! we can make it a mod :DD!

5. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

What could be interesting is giving them another name and then claiming there are various different cultures. So while they'd all essentially be the same race, they could identify with a particular culture, allowing for a greater variety of customization for the race and also acknowledging more ideas that went into it.

It would also allow for greater flexibility of the lore. For example you could claim that the entire race suffers from relatively short attention spans (something that irks me a little), however each culture may value knowledge to varying degrees. The culture based on the Anodynes valuing knowledge enough to make an effort to preserve it whereas the culture based on the Novakids couldn't care less. Afterall, assuming a sentient species, chances are the majority of their behavior is learned rather than instinctual, so it is possible for the offspring to be taught to value certain things and hence shape the future of the species.

I dunno, I think that could have been a better way to go about it. Theres quite a ways to go before the game is released, and the stretch goal hasn't even been reached yet, so its possible to discuss this with all parties involved and reach a point everyones happy with.

Suika Ibuki and Silverduke1 like this.
  6. Well, Tiy DID mention he was looking to make the anodyne part of the deal more noticeable, and I do hope it's VERY noticeable. At least, I hope it's noticeable enough that it can either be anodyne OR novakid.

7. Sousuke Kuroda

Having read the backstory to the race I can see hints of Anodyne influence and there are slight differences to the Novakid lore. However they really are only slight differences, in the long run you can see that the race is predominantly based on the Novakids. Hopefully they do reveal something about the race which demonstrates greater acknowledgement to all of the ideas that influenced the race rather than just one of them.

EDIT: Anyhow, your idea for a race really is great, and the fact that it contributed to what may be one of the official races in game is nothing to sneeze at. Good work!

8. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

ok so looking through all comments yielded me no more information on this so im just going to ask, whats the deal between this and novakids?

not trying to insinuate anything or cause a kerfuffle, just curious.

9. The Novakids [actual race] is the baby of the Anodynes and Novakids [suggestion]

10. HerpDerpy

HerpDerpy Guest

i kind of figured that. but im still confused on stuff but i will just keep it to myself because i cant think of a way to make it sound polite :p

11. Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

perhaps the best idea ive heard all day

Zain Hallows likes this.
  12. Zain Hallows

it is a great way of explaining it...but...there's one thing wrong with it. how do you explain the "Anodynes" losing their brands?
    it its a very tricky subject, I wonder if maybe this might fix it?
    some how the brands were sucked into the center of the heads, and this caused them to basically super nova, but not explode their heads, due to their skin layer thing....
    or something along those lines....

13. Silverduke1

that would work and itd give them an extra customazation option in the brands area it could also mean that there are small cross groups with beings like anodynes with brands and beings like novakids without there brands

14. Zain Hallows

sounds awesome! i'm sure with a little work, this could actually be a viable option!
    BUT what about their body crust things...how would those be explained?

15. Menen

Menen Star Wrangler

Given their rocky skin, maybe the Anodynes were created by the destruction of planets from the same super nova that made the Novakids?

AstroBlast and Zain Hallows like this.
  16. Silverduke1

sometimes the species is know to attract a material around their skin and into their plasma membrane similar to how planets gather around stars or crash into them and it is eithier destroyed or stays there becoming part of its body, scientists think its related to either the environment or genetics( or something similar that they have instead of genetics) does that work?

Zain Hallows likes this.
  17. Zain Hallows

both of these work fine I think...what do you think Suika?

18. Sousuke Kuroda

Well actually I wasn't considering their appearance all too much apart from the clothing and architecture they have. The cultures would be vastly different but they'd still be the same species, unfortunately the design for Anodynes may not be used considering the brand is an important part of their physiology apparently.

That being said, a reason could be given for the split in cultures, and potentially explaining the difference in appearance
    seems like a good one. The idea could be that the gases typically making up a Novakid are your standard Hydrogen and Helium, with other gases coming into play as the species progressed and bred, using available gases to make their offspring. Whereas the Anodynes are the result of the heavier elements cast off by planetary destruction.

Or you could stick with the notion that both Anodynes and Novakids were born from stars, which is fine, then somewhere along the line there was a substantial change in their physiology. You had the initial species which featured brands, but then that species eventually found another way to reproduce and sustain their physical form that didn't require a brand, the rocky nature of their anatomy may be a hint as to what that may be. Thus causing a split in society and the formation of two cultures, while still essentially the same species, Anodynes and Novakids.

EDIT: I'd like to note that most of the races at the moment have some pretty substantial differences, some Avians feature owlike features, others hawks, some parrots, etc. Racial diversity in a species is to be expected, so it is entirely realistic that these two races could be of the same species. I do hope that the devs see some of these ideas and take them into consideration. Maybe rename Novakid to something else but acknowledge that Novakids and Anodynes are the two cultures making up that species.

Zain Hallows likes this.
  19. Zain Hallows

I think all this should definitely be told to Tiy for consideration

20. Silverduke1

i agree this could also make many people happier and would add a little more depth to the lore as well as add some general customization options for the race (side not preorders have passed 350k)

Zain Hallows likes this.