1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Matter Manipulator Plus (new manipulators for each pickaxe tier) (Archive)

Discussion in 'In-Game Tools' started by Xuhybrid, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Xuhybrid

Xuhybrid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Provides a full set of upgradable Mass Manipulators, in parallel to the normal pickaxes. Instead
    of using primitive tools, you can now keep using your Matter Manipulator forever! Please be aware that
    the Stone Manipulator recipe does not consume your MM, just incase something goes wrong. It provides
    6 new Matter Manipulators, starting with Stone and going through Copper to Diamond. The recipe progression
    is identical to the base game and the mining speeds are roughly the same as their pickaxe counterparts.
    It also increases the size of your mining cursor to 3 x 3.

The latest version supports Tabula Rasa and the latest modding file structure.

http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/8/
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/matter-manipulator-plus.260/

PSA - If you liked this mod, please remember to Endorse it on Nexusmods to increase its visibility!

[​IMG]

Instructions

Simply extract this zip archive into your /Starbounds/mods folder and you are ready to go. The modding
    scene and functionality is constantly shifting and is definitely unfinished, so installing multiple mods
    with changes to the player.config is going to be difficult for me to support.

- Tabula Rasa -

A solution which i have chosen to support, is a pretty handy new crafting table called the Tabula Rasa.
    It allows you to cook a torch in a campfire to make a new crafting table. This table does not require you
    to know any blueprints so all of the items i have added will show up for you. The legacy crafting options
    are still in place, so once you pick up the items from the Tabula Rasa, you will learn the blueprints.

If Tabula Rasa is not up to date yet, you can add a .modinfo file for it and put it into the mods folder
    with absolutely no problems. There's details on the forums if you need them.

- IMPORTANT -

The player.config file is optional, and i highly recommend you to use the Tabula Rasa. However, if you need
    to install multiple mods manually, you can add the following line to your /Starbound/assets/player.config
    inside your tier1 defaultBlueprints list.

{ "item" : "stonebeamaxe" },

If you are using the Tabula Rasa, feel free to delete the player.config i have provided.

Troubleshooting

Make sure you properly uninstall any files added by older installations of this mod. Due to the new modding
    structure, we can all put our files in one unified directory. If you try to launch the game with duplicate
    items of the same name, the loading screen will crash and will never stop loading. Be sure to check your
    starbound.log to debug any problems you encounter.

Updates / License

I have no plans to update this mod so if it falls out of date, you are welcome to take
    this mod and use it for your own purposes. You are free to include it in any mod packs.

You must credit me for all the files you use.

Good luck,
    Xuhybrid

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Kallius

Kallius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow this is pretty great

Xuhybrid likes this.
  3. Yolo42

Yolo42 Void-Bound Voyager

This should be in game instead of pickaxes.

4. Nienna_orr

Nienna_orr Pangalactic Porcupine

Wow wait Nexus is now allowing all games? That's cool. Anyway good work on the mod look's pretty good

5. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

No going to lie, having upgradable matter manips sounds amazing. Do they lose durability though?

6. Xuhybrid

No, unfortunately i couldn't get the durability data to work on the .beamaxe filetype. It created Generic Item (error) so i didn't bother.

Glad you guys like it!

7. Nienna_orr

Nienna_orr Pangalactic Porcupine

Doubt you would have any plans to making it upgradeable Beyond Dimaond would you? I was very dissapointed when I couldn't upgrade my pickaxe beyond Dimaond

8. Xuhybrid

If there are more pickaxes added beyond Diamond (in the next patch), id be happy to add a new tier. Otherwise, i doubt it.

9. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

I'm honestly surprised there are so many tiers of pickaxe in the game. I was certain there would be a different, techy options in place of them after you get off your first world, honestly. I love what you've done with the matter manipulators. I actually asked Bartwe during the insomnia stream if Chucklefish had any plans of upgrading the matter manipulator. Though not nearly to the extent you've done here, my idea was just to increase it to 3x3 or 4x4 blocks.

I hope they take a serious look at this page and realize that pickaxes are not as spacey-wacey was they could be.

Crackerjack likes this.
  10. Xuhybrid

Thanks, i have to agree. The only problem with my version is that it changes the speed at which it mines instead of the damage of each tick/swing. This causes the mining sound to be played much more often, so the tool is definitely unique in terms of mechanics. I hope they create MM upgrades for the core game for sure!

11. Dragonchampion

Dragonchampion Subatomic Cosmonaut

Exactly how much slower are we talking about here? Noticable?

12. Xuhybrid

A few split seconds, i used video recording to get it as close as i could but i lost patience for getting it 100% accurate.
    I doubt the human eye can notice the difference.

13. Xuhybrid

Looks like there's a few other mods with similar functionality out. I still think mine is superior as it provides an experience in parallel to the current pickaxes whereas the other 2 mods ive seen unlock via a craftable item. Ive checked both of them out and they're both clones of each other pretty much. They don't have variable MM speeds to match the pickaxe speeds so, even if its a conflict of interest, mine is the best out right now if you're looking for a balanced mod.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  14. Lenney

Lenney Void-Bound Voyager

This is so awesome.. Well done mate

15. Hexerin

Hexerin Existential Complex

could you possibly make an alternate version that keeps it 2x2 blocks?

16. Xuhybrid

Sure, its possible. Is there any particular reason? Just to pre-empt your answer, you can hold shift to dig single blocks.

17. Hexerin

the reason is... well... i don't really know, but for some reason i just like the 2x2 block thing the vanilla MM does. also i know about the shift to only do one block thing, which also works with picks :p

18. Xuhybrid

Alright, well now the forums are back up o_O i can tell you there's an Alternative version up for you (and anyone like you) on the nexusmods page. Enjoy ;)

19. Hexerin

woot! btw, how difficult is it to modify existing tools to give them new stats?

20. Xuhybrid

The tool types seem pretty strict. For example when i tried to add properties from a .beamaxe file to a .miningtool file, the result would be a "Generic Item" which is basically invalid. You have a fair amount of freedom with some files though, if you know how jSON notation works. It looks like the Tech operations are handled by lua. I bet it's possible to make new Techs with unique properties, or even combine Techs together for example.