Married life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by parklane, May 31, 2018.

1. MaloHD

MaloHD Intergalactic Tourist

I honestly prefer to marry Sam. His calm and easy going personality fits what I desire. He is also less independent than most others, relying on Jodi (Also later on Kent as he can't cook) He seems to be self-centered but that cover was blown in his 10 heart event (which happens to be my favorite of all heart events) He is overall the only NPC I speak to besides Linus because I feel bad that we can build a house for that monster Pam, but not for him.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i have a female Sam due to a mod, but Sam indeed is nice
      unlike Alex starts as, Sam's just wants to be cool at first, while Alex tries to be cool, in other words: sam doesn't ACT cool like Alex
      after a while, Sam is being less "cool", and shows that he is a decent guy
      since i never bother do the joja-way, i item-spawn the joja machine, just for fun, but Sam likes them, so i randomly give him(her for me) one, while i'm walking around town, or when i fished up one joja cola, it goes to Sam, unless i make a new character which will go for Sam, then i do it on purpose, and collect them

even without Sam as spouse he(she) is still a nice person

• MaloHD

Yea, in my first playthrough I had 1 bundle left in the CC but I had to go the joja route so I could give my bae his morning soda.

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

I can understand not getting enough from fishing, but can't you just buy them at the saloon instead of Joja mart?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

When you complete the Joja route, you get a vending machine that provides a Joja Cola every day

• UnexpectedParole

Ok, but instead of paying what 75 a day, you spend the entire joja cost to get it? 1 bundle away from completing cc ?

Obviously if you are going joja anyway -great 'perk / bonus'. But that isn't how I interpreted the other post.

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For what it's worth, it would take almost 17 years for the cost of buying a 75g Joja Cola at the saloon every day to outweigh the 140,000 cost of going the full Joja route.

On the other hand, what happens if you finish every bundle except the bulletin board (I assume that's the one most first-time players will complete last? depends on your playstyle though) and then buy a Joja membership? I've never tried it, because screw Joja, but it doesn't really make sense for them to charge you for fixing the greenhouse, bridge, etc when those have already been done by the Junimos. And the main bulletin board reward is friendship, which doesn't have an equivalent Joja reward. So does that mean you can just buy a membership for 5000 and immediately "complete" the Joja route?
                In that case, it would only take 1.8 years for the 5000 to be less than the cost of paying for a daily soda. Add in the fact that you don't have to find all the assorted bulletin board items, and the convenience of getting the soda in your own home rather than going to the saloon and buying them one by one every so often, and it actually seems kind of worth it.

On the other other hand, Joja Cola is only one of Sam's likes, not one of his loves. His loves are cactus fruit, maple bar (maple syrup+sugar+wheat flour), pizza (wheat flour+tomato+cheese), and tigerseye. Seems like the easiest way to give him a loved item every day is to buy three cactus seeds (produces every three days), make three garden pots in your house to put them in, plant them each one day apart, and then just remember to water them every day. Then you get one cactus fruit a day forever. According to the wiki, tigerseye in a crystalarium takes three days and 11 hours to replicate, so you might be able to stick one in the crystalarium and give him that every few days for some variety.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

being forced to do the joja route, just to get Sam a liked gift, which cannot even get gold quality, is kinda stupid
                  Sam's other likes are:

i'd rather give eggs of gold quality, then
                  and when i have more money, i could give pizza's from the saloon, since they are there every single day, and are loved gifts

also, 1 small note: farm ponds always have more trash than other places, including joja cola

but since i never go joja route, and want that soda machine anyway, i can spawn it for fun, and once in a while (unless going for him/her) give Sam a joja cola
                  and when i fish up a cola, and am close to Sam (so NOT when in the mountains), i just randomly give one

i'm just talking about the beginning of a new character, if we count in desert, cactus fruit is easier, of course... and with greenhouse, we're just done
                  cactus fruit from desert with botanist profession will be best gift ever for Sam, loved gift with iridium quality

i know that normally a ride to the desert costs you money, and requires Pam to stand there (not for me, with extended minecarts mod, cuz screw that all)
                  but if you have enough money, you can easily do it, once a day, and otheriwse growing them in the greenhouse or garden pots would do, add a farmer's lunch, and most likely have gold quality

Farmer's Lunch is easy to get once you have a few cows and chickens, and kept enough parsnips

• Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

I think if everyone would care so much for his real life SO like some do here in the forum care about their in game hubby, there would be less divorces.

Alleandra likes this.
                    • SSShakuras

SSShakuras Big Damn Hero

I marry for the Stardrop and divorce and stay single once I can afford it since I really dislike that there's no way to change the floor/wall of the spouse room which always end up looking like an ugly tumor on my house.

One More Day likes this.
                      • laura264

laura264 Aquatic Astronaut

On my second play through I married Sebastian. And aside from a little immaturity, he's a pretty good husband. Except for the fact that most of the week he stands in front of the stove and is all up in my way. lol

• MaloHD

I just see it as a token of my devotion to Sam

Why does everyone just assume its because I'm too lazy or cheap to buy a few? I was proving my devotion to Sam. I was well aware I could buy colas. Good things only come from sacrifice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
                          • UnexpectedParole

So "yes" you could just buy them at the saloon ? But you chose not to for personal story reasons. I didn't mean to judge that. I was more asking. "Isn't there a machine in the saloon one could use instead." -if one wanted to. And I did not know about the machine that dispenses them from completing the bundle as I have never gone that route. I had thought you meant you were buying them from the Joja mart store.

The use of 'had' in my head implied game restricted and I wanted to verify that said machine was mechanically an option.
                            I get the devotion point.

I frankly can't seem to every have enough space in my 36 slot backpack to carry the things I need. Let alone a can of soda for my love interest. <In my case the bit of drift wood or bottle of wine for Leah>. If I'm not on a "I'm leaving the house to intentionally deliver this to "X" I'll be hard pressed to have it anywhere near.
                            As such I've even gotten to the point of setting up 'gift giving runs' where I pack several items into my backpack and mass deliver a bunch of 'friend bribes' at natural gatherings. Such as the workout tuesdays, or friday night at the saloon.
                            I'm hoping this next play through I can industrialize my wine making so I can just carry a stack of that around taking up only one slot giving it out like promotional gifts to everyone I cross paths with. I don't know if liked gifts only to those who don't love wine will get me to the desired levels of friendship though. Plus, I still need something to give to Jas and Vincent and Penny since Wine doesn't work for them. I guess we'll see.
                            We've all got our burdens to carry when playing this games.

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I married Leah on my main file, and I grew enough poppies in summer to make her a poppyseed muffin every morning. No need to carry around a pile of stuff, and I like the role-playing aspect of making her breakfast every morning.

(I bought the wheat flour and sugar from Pierre. It's more expensive, but it requires less planning and logistics than growing enough wheat/beets and remembering to process them, and it's not like that file doesn't have enough money.)

• MaloHD

Ah, its all good. I just get very attached to npcs in any game. Ive just never been able to bond with any real person as well as Sam.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i was just talking about what i do, for the fact i don't like going for joja
                                  i also just said that once you get the desert unlocked, it's even easier with cactus fruit, which can come in gold and iridium quality, automatically giving more friendship points, since it's a loved gift

nothing i said pointed to something about anyone being lazy or such

• UnexpectedParole

Quite right. I guess I got off topic. You lot are talking about gifting a spouse daily, which makes sense given the thread..

I was off wandering in my own issue of how to even get married in the first place, since I can't seem to be able to carry things with the sole intent of giving them out to the love interest when we cross paths.. I've got driftwood like crazy I want her to have. lol
                                    When I finally marry Leah, I just gift her gold or iridium quality goat cheese or wine every day because she loves those and I'm doing them anyway. I guess I'm not the type of farmer do do something *just for her*.

• ShaneLovesChickens

ShaneLovesChickens Tentacle Wrangler

I'm currently in my first ever game and I'm in a relationship with Shane. I plan to marry him once I have enough money for a chicken coop and a kitchen. He's really sweet under his tough exterior. The poor guy needs love. If I create a new save, I'll probably go for Penny or Emily.

• Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand Orbital Explorer

For me the most important thing was backstory/character arc and after talking with everyone, Penny seemed to have the best opportunity for a better life. Hayley is a good second as she becomes very complimentary by 10 hearts. Abigail is already self-confident, but almost always super nice unless she's in a bad mood. In those cases still talk to her again and get the annoyed face, it makes me laugh! I could never find Leah early on but she also has a good backstory though she's in a good place already. Maru would be my IRL match and is also in a good place: job, parents, multiple interests. Farm life would just slow her down. I started out liking Emily a lot but now she reminds me of an old Life In Hell comic called "Avoid These Elves": 24 identical faces and generally negative labels like Grumpy, Slimy, etc., and a smiling 25th: Excessively Happy. That's Emily. Too perfect.

The guys are more of a mixed bunch for me though reading this thread has been informative. Elliot was my fave for a long time and Sam and Sebastian are great except for the smoking. Shane's gruffness makes me laugh every time: "Why are you talking to me? I don't even know you!" LOL! But it's very clear that he has by far the best character arc. I'll marry him in a future game as I've seen the pic of him with his chicken and not only is he in a great place but I love chickens. Win-win! Alex is fine, also with LOL moments but I've just not warmed up to Harvey.

But Penny… Just marry her and chat every day. Her occasional descriptions of her previous life in the trailer are enough for me to want to marry her every time or feel guilty marrying someone else now knowing those things. Also you get to buy her mom a house.

Ah, and one more thing. Hair. From the back, Penny's hair is the best and you get to see that most days if you're married. Yeah, a little thing but really not. Her hair looks like it would be awful IRL but with the pixel art in the game, it's the best in Stardew Valley.

ShaneLovesChickens likes this.
                                        • Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

-nervous chuckle-
                                          so i actually get what op was talking about with the cola, whenever harvey talks about a hot meal i actually bring him a cooked meal even if it is not a fav meal and even when i am capped on the relationship points (and of course i downloaded the mod that lets me gift my spouse three times a day so after marriage i can give him coffee for breakfast and a cooked meal for dinner). it's not about min/maxing relationship points it's about doing something that, in the context of the canon, would make the char happy. if i am correct sam likes colas on rainy(or is it cold?) days so of course if you are sweet on him you'd bring him one then. it doesn't have to be the most efficient to feel like the right choice

assuredly though the first time i tried to date outside of harvey it was elliot who was predatory in his ten-heart and accused me of cheating almost as soon as i married him(in my two prior playthroughs i must have had amazing rng because harvey never said a thing despite me being just as gift-happy before) so i divorced him right away. it was a rather unpleasant surprise that in the span of a week i was sexually assaulted and then accused of adultery by a guy who had been rather lovely before all of that. assuredly in a dozen games this is only the second time i am aspiring to date someone other than harvey(willy because i am a weirdo and there is a new mod with him in it)
                                          and i feel a little like a cheater just thinking about it xD generally my non-harvey playthroughs have no dating at all

to answer an old question though; i don't see anything wrong with playing a bi character :rofl: marrying a guy then dating a gal after you divorce isn't really weird at all