Married life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by parklane, May 31, 2018.

1. ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Yea. To my knowledge and understanding, he was getting fed up with requests for 'can I marry Pam' or 'can I marry Jodi' that he just wrote a mod that removed the restrictions on whom you can marry... without fully realizing and understanding the consequences of doing so. And because of how he coded it, he couldn't just make specific exclusions very easily. He was working on that when... well...

Unfortunately, there was a lot of drama that happened surrounding it, including an article in a gaming magazine that basically implied that it would ONLY let you marry the kids, when that was most definitely NOT the case. Then people who read that article assumed that this guy was... an unsavory type, and the drama increased exponentially. But then, since when has truth ever gotten in the way of reporting these days? Suffice to say, there was a lot more drama around it than there should have been.

As a result of this, and some other things that we can just leave in the past, he pulled his mod and washed his hands of the whole affair.

The reason I mention this is that this is the reason you won't really find any mods that let you marry more people, because of the negative publicity this garnered. It's not that it is impossible, merely that few modders want to try to take a crack at it as a result.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

OUCH, yeah I wondered if it would be possible to have a mod to marry others but if the attempt accidentally included Jas and Vincent...

I wouldn't mind including a few more (Sandy, the Wizard, Gus, Marnie) but I'm not a modder and will leave it to those that understand coding

Found a new reason to like Abby, she's willing to hide out in the bushes with you! Granted, it was to avoid her overbearing Dad, but hey! (I've known about this for awhile, I just find it funny that she's wanting to hide from her Dad with a farmer that she's starting to get to know pretty well in a bush)

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

And she's apparently quite impressed with your ability to use your joystick too. :)

• Daedelon

Daedelon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I married Leah in my only full story playthrough and all the gifts she gives to me are basically all positive gifts you can give back to her except for coffee. Fiddlehead Fern, Salad, Horseradish and I usually give her truffles and wine (always make wine).

The cute thing with the kids, they're named Luke and Leia.

• Noriaki_Kakyoin

Noriaki_Kakyoin Master Chief

Yeah Leah's pretty good, not gonna lie for the first 7 days in-game I legitmately did not know there was a difference between Robin and Leah and thought I was just crazy and misremembering the name of a singular girl.

BentFX likes this.
            • Starbound Sailor Moon

Starbound Sailor Moon Industrial Terraformer

My favorite so far is Elliot. He's a writer (relate!), I can't stop thinking "T.S. Elliot." He writes you poetry. He cornily lives by the sea. He actually has style, and I think the hair jokes are cute. And he gives me coffee a lot, which is like, my favorite thing in real life. Almost all of his dialogue is kind, courteous, or romantic. He's the perfecto trophy husbando.

Do other characters get jealous btw? I gave Shane a beer at the bar after we were married and he asked if he needed to be worried about the gift. The dialogue was only the once, I've tried again, and I think his character even gave me the cold shoulder for a few days. It actually worried me because this is my first play through and I thought I couldn't gift other characters without risking my marriage! But since it was the once it's funny. :lickitung:

Darkcedars likes this.
              • Starbound Sailor Moon

[​IMG]

So, I divorced Elliot & I think Yoba disapproves... A message in the void.

Darkcedars, Erick648 and BentFX like this.
                • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

i'm not very far yet, but i started as a guy (which i am in reallife), and got bonded with Penny, not knowing the pain she went through
                  when i found out, i had to get her out of there, away from a bad life, and have her with me
                  i never had a girlfriend in reallife, so i guess i feel a real bond, too
                  now when i make other characters, and wanna go for someone else, i feel like i'm cheating on her o_O

so my nr1 is Penny, and since she's cute, funy and smart, my nr2 is Maru
                  of course as a guy who likes girls, i thought "hey, a hot blondie" when i saw Haley, but seeing her attitude, that thought changed in no time

nr 3 is either Abigail or Leah ... wish we had more choices, haha

but thats it for now :)

Erick648 likes this.
                  • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I doubt anything happens, but if the farmer is a woman, marries a man, divorces him, then hooks up with a woman... will that raise any eyebrows or will everyone just be "eh, whatever"?

I play as a guy (being a guy myself) but kicking the idea around of playing as a girl but still wanting to romance the women...I'm pretty sure Emily would be OK with that, maybe Leah too, but the rest I wonder if they would object?

• Starbound Sailor Moon

Well, I haven't yet married again. I plan on wooing everyone to ten heart levels first, but! I'll probs go with Emily, Leah, or Abigail. I'll let you know if anything interesting happens.

• Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

1 thing i forgot to say was that i set my eyes first on Robin.... until i saw she has a family already, haha
                        i have a few females, but i dont feel anything for romance with a guy, so i'll keep it all with women (1 girl stays alone, i think)
                        maru, abigail and leah are next for some of my others, not sure which will be with which girls, though
                        (leah is just so hard to find sometimes, heh)

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Uhh... with the 1.3 update, there will definitely be something 'interesting' that happens when you get all six of the same gender bachelor/ettes to 10 hearts, but it might not be the sort of interesting you were hoping for...

• Starbound Sailor Moon

Rabbit's foot, I read. :catdealwithit:

BentFX likes this.
                            • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Well, if you have the rabbit's foot everything is fine, but if you don't...

Haven't tried it yet but if you get MOST of the bachelor/ettes to 10 but one isn't - say, everyone is 10 hearts except Sebastian, who is 2 hearts because you keep forgetting about him - will it still trigger or do you need all of the bachelors or bachelorettes to 10 hearts to trigger the event?

• Rofo

Rofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

it doesn't really matter what the gender of ex-spouse vs current spouse. your ex hates you, no body else really notices.

• mrsbond

mrsbond Void-Bound Voyager

You might want to give him a chance and see if he decides to stop after getting married ;) I thought the same thing but I decided he was the only character that would be a good match for mine.

Now that we're married he seems to walk around the house and stare at walls all day. Do the other spouses do this too? Sometimes he talks about working but I never see him at his computer.

In general most of the marriageable characters seem quite young & immature to me. I agree with others that Leah is an attractive choice.

• Diborane

Diborane Lucky Number 13

Harvey. Always Harvey. Forever Harvey! I like how the game handles his implied social anxiety without stating anything explicitly. I love his plane collection. His ridiculous doctor facts. And I love how despite originally wanting to be a pilot, that he isn't resentful or bitter about how his life turned out; he found something else he was passionate about and clearly enjoys caring for the townspeople.

Shane is a very close second. Chicken man is criminally relatable and I always befriend him, but I'm hesitant to marry him...this is my fantasy farmland, I don't want to get caught up in my virtual husband's mental health issues when I'm playing a game to cope with my real life mental health issues. So the doctor it is.

Krasska likes this.
                                    • ViolentOtter

ViolentOtter Aquatic Astronaut

I'm VERY late to this but my two favourites always have been and probably always will be Leah and Harvey. Leah is mature and sweet, and personally, I love her artsy personality. I also think she has some very interesting cutscenes. Harvey was the first character I ever married and he is honestly my favourite NPC ever. He's fairly easy to romance (loves coffee), has some very sweet cutscenes, and I love his after-marriage dialogue.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Funny part is, my first wife on my first ever save was Haley. NO idea why, considering she is not my type at all. However, I did eventually find Abigail. She has been my wife on almost all my games since. I have a newer save, though, and I'm considering Emily for this one.

My character is a Bard/Wizard that I'm role-playing as a sort of 'Off from adventuring' farmer. So, Emily seems fitting for him. Lol
                                        On an off note, I really wish there was a wizard hat in the game. >_>

• Alleandra

Alleandra Void-Bound Voyager

I've always had a soft spot for Elliott, and at least one of my farmers is married to him. Although, right now, my current farmer is married to Alex. I must say, Elliott has competition for the top spot! Alex really change from being the arrogant, I'm-the-best type, to being the sweetest friend and spouse. Things are not always what they seem. Shane is my #3 choice.

As for the girls, I don't know. I usually play female farmers (which I am myself, minus the farmer thing) marrying males. I think I married Maru once (with a male farmer), but its been so long, I've forgotten. Oh and I almost forgot, I've another male farmer who married Leah. She is my fav among the ladies. She is closer to my own age unlike the others, and seems very mature and self-sufficient. I also like her creative personality.