March 6th - Teleportation

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Mar 6, 2015.

1. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

metadept submitted a new blog post:

March 6th - Teleportation

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Awesome! My under-lava towns will be many steps closer to convenient reality after this goes in!

Wait a second... "some edge cases"... "having a blast"... "Unstable"... Please tell me you aren't nicknaming this project "Event Horizon". Say it ain't so!

3. Richtor

Richtor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm interested in how they are to be obtained. Crafted or bought.

4. Corverean

Corverean Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looks really good, can't wait for the update.

5. nisskuo

nisskuo Aquatic Astronaut

awesome! can't wait

really want this

6. linkstheman

linkstheman Master Chief

Very neat. I am a bit curious as to how this will work in multiplayer. That is, if I setup a teleporter, will someone else be able to use it, and if so, will they have their own list of locations, or will they see mine? Regardless, this will curtail the temptation to dig down to the core, just to save and quit to get back to my ship.

7. FloranAndHobbes

FloranAndHobbes Void-Bound Voyager

How exciting that it's so far along! I wonder if friends' teleporters will be accessible on multiplayer servers, or if there will be one big teleporter network for all.

Axe Garian likes this.
  8. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Sweeet! Is there a limit of teleporter per planet though? Doesn't seem so looking at how you can teleport to a party member next to another teleporter on the same world, but just need to be sure.

Also, was it intentional that your snake was on the teleporter? Reference to a certain movie?;)

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Imagine the teleporter malfunction and the floran combines with the snake....snake-florans are going to be very, very scary.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  9. I'm so happy to see this. I can finally connect all my build projects.

10. Xobotun

Xobotun Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, this is the best thing I could think of!
    And with this update noone will be forced to die in order to get out from a deep shaft. :rofl:

Anyway, it is great that I can teleport to other places than my 'home' or current planet, even to my friends! Yay!<3

11. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This'll be useful, alright! If they can be easily deconstructed and moved I imagine I'll have one on each planet I'm currently mining near the active dig. If I roam too far from it, I imagine I could then just pick it up and move it closer to where my manipulator is hoovering up all the terrain.

Also, warehouse planet. WAREHOUSE PLANET!

12. ZallCaTor

ZallCaTor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Again, the reason I'm excited for this is it's possibilities in my show "Captain's Log."

13. Burnalot

Burnalot Void-Bound Voyager

Teleporters... so useful, yet so dangerous at the same time.
    I wonder how many accidents these things have been involved with so far.

RenaldiForumStar and Axe Garian like this.
  14. ZallCaTor

I just can't wait for the day that I can teleport my pet if he's sleeping on the telepad. So funny.

15. Ignify

Ignify Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for the update! Now we can create a better hub on multiplayer for various planets and attractions. I was wondering if it would also be possible to use this system to somehow make checkpoints for missions at least temporarily. I know a lot of players, including me, have become a little frustrated with having to redo an entire mission after dying far into it. That would be much appreciated. Thank for the update and keep at it! :D

16. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I guess one idea would be to place a few of those throughout some of the bigger mission dungeons, so that people don't need to run through the entire thing again upon death. Just activate it and it would work as a checkpoint/I-had-enough-I'm-outta-here.

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Bronze Dog

Bronze Dog Starship Captain

Definitely looking forward to it.

Warehouse planets for everyone! I'll probably make mine in the core of some moon. Then I'll have to figure out what to do with the space that'll free up on my ship.

My brother's been building a new server, so it'll be nice to build hubs, assuming I can convince him to let me run Starbound on it.

18. ZallCaTor

Wouldn't this, however, detract from the awesomeness of portals? How are teleported and portals different now?

19. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

With this change coming, I kind of hope the initial spawn point for a character on a planet is randomized though. Doesn't have to be randomized every time, but at least on first landing, because I really would hate falling into a trap in multiplayer when beaming down because someone came there first and left a nasty surprise then have a teleporter elsewhere for their ease of transport.

Also, how will this works with multiplayer? Does teleporters placed by any other players can be connected together? Or will teleporters players-bound?

Portals can connect you to places you have never been to.
    Teleporter require you to have been there and place down a teleporter first.

Axe Garian and ZallCaTor like this.
  20. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Sweet! now i can have multiple bases in different stars!

Mogg and Axe Garian like this.