Maps/compass, teleports, gear balancing, etc.

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by BadShaddy, Dec 6, 2013.

1. BadShaddy

BadShaddy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello, I started to play the beta and so far I just killed the first boss, crafted around some stuff and explored a couple of planets.
    I have to say that the game is well balanced, but on the other side there are some things that in my opinion need a little adjustement and/or need to be added.

Something to help explorers: maps and compass.
    I think these items should be implemented because Starbound's planets are very big to explore and since there are more than one, it may become really difficult to keep track of where we were exploring, which underground road we took, how far the distance is between our "homebase" and a dungeon is, where we found NPCS etc.
    While it can be very useful underground to keep track of the path we dig and where we left materials to mine.
    Since Starbound has a sci-fi theme, all of this could be implemented in one item like a mini computer-bracer with some useful features.

Craftable Tents
    To help restore HP while out of home..

Pickaxe repair!
    since a pickaxe with no durability left doesn't destroy itself, why not having the possibility to repair it to its full durability instead of crafting a new one?

A teleport-item to return fast at home.
    Well it's kinda self-explanatory :)

Gear/Item Balancing
    I have some doubts about a couple of items, since I don't understand if it was intended or not:

Snow Infantry set - why does it have more armor than the silver and gold set, but it only needs leather to be crafted? Isn't it a bit too convenient? Or shouldn't armors with high values of warmness give some kind of malus in normal-high temperature planets?
    Because of it's high defense value I keep that set instead of progressing to the silver armor, it was the more logical thing to do since it is easier to craft. (only leather which can be found by hunting monsters)
    Shouldn't it having less defense, or the other armor sets having more?

Rope and Climbing Rope - I realized that the climbing rope can be crafted without the crafting table with plants and.. iron ingot.
    Why iron ingot?
    I mean, I think Climbing Rope (since it's consumable) should be crafted "on the fly" without using any kind of crafting table or anvil, like torches.
    Or make it not single-use, since it can be very useful while exploring the undergrounds.
    And, btw, what's the purpose of Ropes? They can't be transformed in Climbing Ropes nor can't be used to climb, then what should I do with them?

And for last: I don't know what's the use of a certain item -> ingame helper
    This is a very Terraria-ish idea I know, but on the other side there are so many items that I don't know what's the use for them (like I wrote above: "standard" Ropes).. maybe some of them aren't used in any recipe, but it would be useful to know to not throw away potential useful items.

That's all, I think.
    The overall impression is quite positive, I'm looking forward to see what's next the first boss :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Shaved

Shaved Seal Broken

You can already repair picks. Just take some copper ore (or other ores? I tried iron it didn't seen to work) and right click it on your pick.

3. BadShaddy

BadShaddy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh I didn't know that.
    How have you found out?

4. Shaved

Shaved Seal Broken

If you hover over some ores it tells you that you can do it