Mapping advice for farm(house) extensions

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Juku121, Dec 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Juku121

Juku121 Void-Bound Voyager

I seem to have trouble (re)finding this information, so I figure I'll just ask.

1. How exactly does interior lightning work for farmhouse maps? For other maps, the Paths layer performs as advertised. But I have a series of pimped-out custom house upgrades where the choice is either total light/darkness depending on the time of the day. Or a uniform, variable-strength light mask when I use AmbientLight. The first version admits dynamic lights such as rings or furniture, but seems to ignore the light sources from the Paths layer. Fiddling with DayTiles/NightTiles got me nowhere, either.

Edit3: 1.b. How do walls get defined? I can't for the life of me get windows or paintings to take, even using Farmhouse Redone. It's still fixed coordinates for all house maps?

2. What precisely governs the unique properties of farm maps (plantable crops, crows, farmhouse/mailbox locations etc)? I am trying to strip some extra functionality away from the Farm Expansion mod to make it into a 'plain' map that doesn't conflict with several other mods. Planting seems to work, debris is generated again, but I'm getting an extra (ghost of a) farmhouse plopped down in the middle of it now.

Could be mod conflicts for all I know, since I run a couple of hundred of them. But I hope it isn't, 'cause tracking these down is a royal pain.

Edit: I tested the standalone farm expansion a bit more. Crop and tree planting work, as do sprinklers and I think also crows (but they're very silent and sneaky). But surprisingly, rain does not.

Edit2. I forgot the primary reason for Farm Expansion: the map doesn't get saved. Duh.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    • Juku121

Self-bumping and double-posting since edits are kinda invisible. :(

Okay, I'll rephrase my remaining problems as questions:

A. What precisely governs the ability of the Paths layer lights to work inside the player's house? I can't get it to work, meaning either a mod is interfering or this feature does not work at all. And thus you must introduce all lights into your abode by hand. :eek: Can anyone confirm this?

B. Do walls work for the purposes of hanging furniture from them only when you use the original map layouts? Even with Farmhouse Redone or similar mods?

D. Is it possible to change the prices and resource costs of house upgrades via data editing alone? If so, how?

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

I can answer at least one of those for sure: walls do not work for the purposes of hanging furniture. You can only do that with the original map layouts. Any additional rooms or walls added via mod won't be able to have wall decorations plastered onto them.

E: I should mention that while making this comment, I did not take into account the Farmhouse Redone mod.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
        • Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

@Juku121 Paths layer lighting does not work inside the house, if you want light at night you need to put down lamps in-game.

• Juku121

Bummer. Can I do lights via general map properties or that doesn't work for player housing either?

Farmhouse Redone gives me the ability to put wallpapers on additional walls, so that's something, at least.

• Hailene

Hailene Guest

Putting furniture and windows works fine with Farmhouse Redone though?
              [​IMG]https://imgur.com/a/h25D1CD

I've tried using the Paths layer too and yup, it doesn't work. We really do have to use the lighting strings if automatic lights are wanted but they do work
              https://imgur.com/EachQk3

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2019
              • Juku121

What version of Farmhouse Redone are you using? I'm stuck with SDV 1.3.36 and SMAPI 2.9.11.3 (at least for a while) since I have a boatload of mods that either are hard to update, can't be updated or are in the process of being updated. So I can only use FR 0.2.

When you say "lighting strings", do you mean the 'Lights' map property?

• Hailene

Hailene Guest

I'm using the current one (0.3.7). That might be why, but I made second picture's map sometime April this year, using FR 0.2 as well. The furniture doesn't take to the wall if the layer it's on is Building so that could be it? It has to be the Back layer and the wall has to be defined by the Walls property.

Yup, the Light map property.

Juku121 likes this.
                  • Juku121

Yes, that was it! For some reason, I had filled all my walls with the Building layer. I can't recall why I thought that was a good idea. :-[

And Light does seem to work. I don't know what failed the first time I tried it, maybe I put it down as 'Lights'. :eek:

Edit: Some walls and floors aren't taking wallpapers and flooring. I think it's those that come from non-standard tilesets. Since it mostly affects cellars and attics, I think I'll just leave it be.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019