Suggestion Map Editor Requests/Ideas

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blue, Feb 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Blue

Blue Former Staff

I do love me a good map editor. And the one included in Wargroove is grand! However after messing around with it for like 3 hours there are a few features that I would like to see to expand on the variety of maps that are possible to make, and of course some other requests that improve it's function and ease of use. Again I've only used it for 3 hours so If I missed something or make an incorrect assumption I apologize. Some of these suggestions would of course only help PC users using the editor.

Ease of Use

'Place Unit' Owner Switching
    - Currently when placing a unit or building you must first select a player to place it for, close that window, and then place it. Then to place the same type of building for the other team, you must go select the unit in the corner again and then change its team from the drop down, close that window and then place it. At first I thought 1,2,3,4 would be good quick keys for this, but those are set to switching editor types. So I then thought, while you are selected on a building or unit type and it is hovering on your mouse waiting to be placed, why not allow MOUSEWHEEL up and down to change the owner of it. This way you could quickly switch the units owner before you place it.

Tile Grabbing - Currently, when placing terrain on the map, left click and right click do the exact same thing of placing the currently selected paintbrush tile. Why not allow right click to copy the hovered tiles type to your paintbrush so you can then paint with it. Or, middle mouse click to do this function for all tile/unit/buildings so you could quick copy lots of stuff? Honestly, it just takes too long in general to open the tile selector, close it and then place things.

Preview Music in Map Editor - Currently when you select a battle maps music in map properties, it doesn't preview that music for you. However in the campaign editor, selecting the campaign maps music in the drop down does preview it. Is it an oversight that it doesn't in the battle map editor?

Allow Codex Viewing in Editor - Either add an ESC menu option or add a new button at the top of every map editor window, on the far right, to open the codex, so you can quickly reference tile/Unit/Building info. Currently you can only access it when you start a test game or go back to the main menu.

Quick open, so Quick Close - This one is less for the map editor and more about when you are playing. When you click right click on something you get an info window. But then you have to actually go select CLOSE to close it. Instead why not make Right Clicking again close the opened Tile Info or Unit Info window as well?

New Features

Custom Village Gold - While I get that skirmishes and basic story game-play have this amount set to 100 no matter what, I would love to see the ability for custom scenario maps and custom campaigns to have the ability to alter the amount of gold a Village gives it's owner. From 1-200. This way, strategy would come into play even more on some maps where you would try and take over the more valuable villages, but grab the cheaper ones if you can.

Color Would Add Easy Campaign Tile Variety - While I expect down the line, modders and the devs themselves will add more, currently there are a handful of tile graphics you can use to make a Campaigns 'levels' with on the Campaign map. My suggestion is that some of those tiles could easily be converted to use the same system as the roof tiles in Battle Maps that can adopt the 5 team colors. This way, you could have some more map variety, with Towns, Castles of different colors, without much effort really. Just allow mouse wheel to scroll through the colored variants of those tiles while you are placing them.

More Weather Control - Currently, when making a custom map, you can select either, "Random" or "ALWAYS One Type" of weather. But there is no way to have say, A Rain/Wind Map with no clear weather, or a Sunny/Windy map with no rain. I think moving weather to its own tab at the top of the map properties window and listing them as a check box option for each weather would be better than a drop down. Or perhaps even have each weather type listed with its own drop down with the options being "Very Common, Common, Rare, Very Rare, Never."

New Weather Type : Overcast - Makes Flying Units have a movement speed reduction but gain defense from ranged attacks.

Neutral Factions Upgrade - While you can place Neutral units to be used with the Event editor to "rescue" units to your team, and things of that nature, there is no way that I could see to make a 'Wild' Neutral faction that is an enemy to all players but has no turn. So basically, units that are stationary, but can be attacked to clear out of the way. So you could set up wolf dens, or outlaw camps that block your path. I assume that is what the OUTLAW faction is meant for, but selecting it does nothing and it reverts to Cherrystone when you do. But I would love to be able to place down these 'camps' of enemies to be cleared.
    For this Neutral faction, I would love to see some more 'Custom Units' able to be placed, much like the Civilians can be. Wolves, Monsters, Outlaws, etc. I realize this would all need its own paper rock scissors balance too, but you get my meaning.

New Biome Tilesets - I was honestly surprised to see only two Tilesets, but I suppose they always have xpacs or updates to add more. Here are my suggestions for a couple.

Deadlands - Dark/dead grasses, unkempt roads, swamps instead of rivers, dead and/or web filled trees. Basically the land of the dead. With undead in the game I was surprised this wasn't there already.

Now the next one would need a special rule set, so not sure how it would work.... But maybe avail only for scenarios and not skirmishes?
    Volcanic Wastelands - Lava instead of water, dirt instead of grass, burned trees instead of forests, dried lava flows instead of rivers. I would think No Boats/Swimming allowed here, of course. :rofl:.

New Tile Type : Trench - Warfare at it's finest, a trench is a safe location to hide from flying or ranged attacks. but moving into and out of it can slow you down, unless you are moving along the trench itself.

New Building Type : Fort - Alone has no effect. A unit can 'load' in the same way they can with a cart. While inside they get a double bonus to defense, and can still use ranged attacks or skills if they are capable but at a reduced range. Only one unit can fort up at a time.

One quick note. I was surprised to see that vehicles didn't get their own building to be crafted from and also that there wasn't a second resource (wood) with a lumber yard to collect it specifically for building these vehicles. But I suppose this is for simplicity sake, and in that I can see why it wasn't done.

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!

- Blue

• Fawxkitteh

Fawxkitteh Phantasmal Quasar

I believe you can make a "neutral" faction by just having them be an AI and adding restrictions so they cant move, and can't capture/build units or whatever you need.
      AI profile "guard" might similarly work in the sense of having them not move out to take the map but I haven't experimented yet.
      If you set it to just can't move, they'll attack any unit that stops near them. If you set it to can't attack, they'll still counter attack, but they won't initiate.
      They'll still get a turn, but if they have nothing to do it'll end immediately.
      The only problem is they take up a player slot, so if you plan to use all 8 this way won't work.

As for weather, I'd like a way to check the state of various things.
      Something like condition "if weather is: sunny" then you could keep randomizing until you get not sunny.
      That's not as clean as what you described, but then you could have things like weather set to random, when it starts raining display rain dialog.

I'm trying to make a campaign in which sneaking through a forest with enemy patrols plays a part.
      Unfortunately there is no way to order the AI to move to a specific location, or anything like that.
      So I have to find work arounds like moving an area the AI considers unpathable, or spawning a unit at the start of their turn so they'll go after it and then removing the unit when their turn ends.
      It's not clean.
      I'd like a way to order enemy units around.

Also a way to customize unit stats would be nice.
      What if I want Golems to be slower or dogs to have larger vision...

• Blue

Blue Former Staff

I was also disappointed to see no way to "Order:Force Move" a unit for story purposes.