Bug/Issue Map Editor Crash

Discussion in 'Support' started by x603billx, Jul 5, 2015.

1. x603billx

x603billx Void-Bound Voyager

Whenever I try to launch the map editor it crashes on startup.

• Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

I think it is because it is searching for a level you may have deleted.

To fix that make the following:

1. Navigate to the folder where you have installed the game. (If on Steam go to your Steam folder and then .\steamapps\common\Halfway)
      2. Delete the file editor-settings.txt
      3. Restart the editor. It should work now.

I hope this helps, if not let me know.

Dunto likes this.
      • x603billx

Well that made the map editor not crash immediately, but it did crash when I tried to load my level.

• Seminus

Oh I think one issue is that if you save the map and you have an enemy that does not yet has an AI brain makes the editor crash.

Can you send me the level file and I will fix it for you. Use this email: "hello (at) robotality dot com"

The | Suit likes this.
          • x603billx

Alright, sent it your way, and thank you for the help.

• Seminus

I send you an email with the fixed map.

My fear was correct: The enemies that are placed had missing AI brains. So if you place enemies be sure you give them the propre AI template before saving. You do that by placing the enemy and then double click on him to open the property menu. There you can go to the unit folder and select one of the AI brain .json files.

I hope this helps and if not please let me know.[DOUBLEPOST=1436186593][/DOUBLEPOST]I updated the wiki here with the workaround so you can fix it by yourself if it happens again:

http://robotality.com/wiki/index.php?title=Enemy_Edit_Mode

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
                Dunto likes this.
              • x603billx

Thanks again for the help Seminus. I didn't know what the brain actually did, so I just left it blank.

• Seminus

The brain actually defines how the unit behaves. So having an sniper brain will make him go into the background and try not to get close. If you instead use the berserker brain he will run at you and go close combat.
                  Be aware that some enemies only work with a typ of brain like the turrets etc.

• x603billx

I'm still a bit confused. When I edit an enemy, I see an AI type drop down list with sniper, berserker, and so on. But the AI brain just says default with no way to change it.

• Seminus

Sorry my fault: The AI brain always is on default.
                      What you need to do: click on the folder symbol where it says "none" and navigate to the folder "enemies" there you have to select a *.json file with the type of enemy you want to place.

Take a look at this video I do it there at the end of the video:

I hope this makes sense now.

Dunto likes this.