Map Creation Suggestions, especially for Switch

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LfitLoyal, Feb 13, 2019.

1. LfitLoyal

LfitLoyal Space Hobo

Enjoying the game and especially enjoying the process of map creation, but there are some issues that I feel should be addressed. Mind that my focus is primarily on Skirmish maps so I can't speak to things like event creation or cutscenes.
    ...I guess most of these would apply to XB1 as well? I don't know. Anyway.

1) Zoom Level
    This is less a map-creation specific thing, but with the game operating at a fixed resolution we need to be able to adjust our level of zoom on the fly. That way we can focus on details, or more importantly view the entire map in one go. The closest thing you have here is the Overview in the battle screen, but that includes unnecessary data when you're just trying to look at the map itself, and the Overview actually zooms out TOO far. We've got two shoulder buttons doing nothing at all, why not use them for the purpose?​

2) Image sharing.
    Trying to share images on the Switch is always a hassle. The fastest way to do it is to take a screencap and share to Twitter/FB from the Home menu, but both of those will butcher the image quality which, of course, is especially apparent with pixelated media. Plus maybe you don't want to share WIP screenshots with random friends and family who don't follow WG to begin with. If you want the original image, you'll need to physically remove the SD card from the Switch (which requires powering it all the way down), plug it into your PC, and transfer the image onto there, before putting the SD card back into the Switch. It's an annoying process in general, but especially so when you're just looking to move one or two images. I don't know what the BEST way of fixing this would be, beyond an image sharing service directly uploaded from Wargroove itself. But it's not great for the creative process, that's for sure.
    3) Doodad cursor movement
    We just need more precise controls on the cursor, for the doodads that aren't locked to the grid. Cursor movement is very fast whether you use Stick or DPad, which is a problem. Slowing it down requires some incredibly precise stick placement. I'd prefer it if the Stick moved the cursor as it normally does now, and the DPad only moves the cursor one pixel at a time.​

4) Undo Button
    Not Switch-specific. We just need an undo button for whenever a mistake is made with terrain/object placement, especially when trying to keep things nice and symmetrical. Speaking of:​

5) Symmetrical build options
    Not Switch-specific. As anyone who likes to make competitive skirmish maps will tell you, it is critically important to maintain symmetry (FTA counters aside) to keep the battle fair. The Editor should have the option to paint stuff. We need options for painting things with bilateral symmetry on the x- and y-axes, as well as diagonally. We also need radial symmetry for two- and four-quadrant builds.
    6) Tile "Painting"
    Not Switch-specific. When you place down certain tiles, such as Roads, Bridges, or Carpets, their appearance is governed by the tiles surrounding them. In some cases, such as with Shores or Deep Sea, whether you can place them at all is similarly dependent. While both of these limitations have their place, they can also get in the way of both design and aesthetic considerations. Please place in a toggleable option that allows us to (a) Place tiles without respect to surrounding tiles, and (b) manually select the appearance of a tile we've put down. Maybe we want a road to go in a particular direction, maybe we want several bridges in a line to all run parallel instead of bunching up together. Whatever the case we should have that freedom. This also includes the freedom to place structures on any terrain type of our choosing.
    (And on a similar note we should be able to use a button to select whether a gate is going to face horizontally or vertically instead of replacing it over and over until we get the right one randomly)
    7) Map updating/uploading
    The process of updating a map you've previously uploaded is more cumbersome than it needs to be. The fact that you need to essentially remove the old map in its entirety and replace it with the new one makes it difficult to spread awareness of the new one. The new map is essentially a completely new instance. New map code, blank slate on ratings. Makes it difficult for people to actually get ahold of the new one unless they know to look for it, or they're part of your social circles and were there to see you announce its uploading. In summary you should be able to upload a map in a way that says "this map is replacing the map slot for what I'd previously uploaded. Its map code should carry over so that people can keep using it right away."

Maybe, additionally, add (a) a thing where people can view previous versions of the map, and (b) a field where the creator can post remarks about it, like dates of updating, details on what's changed, etc.
    Thanks for your time. Hope everything goes well!

Xmo5 and Fadedsun like this.
    • Xmo5

Xmo5 Seal Broken

Just writing to that I strongly support all of these changes. Numbers 1, 5, 6, and 7 are especially needed in my experience, with double emphasis on number 7. As a long-time map designer with a vested interest in learning how to dissect the game and build maps around it, it's important to tweak maps and perfect them, particularly during the initial testing phase. The game is only as good as its maps allow it to be and the current process in place for this is unbearably tedious.

I'll also emphasize that rotational symmetry is by far the most important to incorporate. It just results in the best maps for a number of reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2019
        Fadedsun likes this.
      • Fadedsun

Fadedsun Astral Cartographer

Chiming to say I support all of these suggestions as well, especially as a Switch user that's getting heavily into map making.

Xmo5 likes this.