Many questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeekWoman, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Demanton

Demanton Space Hobo

Why so my characters disappear when they should be saving? I take my Stardew character to sleep and the game shuts down and then when I reload the game the characters are gone. I spent many many hours on two characters that the game deleted on my. Not happy :0(

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

Not sure mate, you might need to go to the support section for this question?

• GeekWoman

GeekWoman Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for the confirmation @ShneekeyTheLost. I had read that part of the wiki and I wondered how I got two baby goats so quickly. Like the same year. Now, three years have passed and nothing. I'll keep hoping. I'd like for my barn to become filled with goats but I'd rather get them free. 100% profit kind of thing. :D

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Speaking purely from a JojaCorp shill money-grubbing perspective, the amount of goat cheese you miss by waiting on the goats to be born naturally is worth far more than the price of the goats themselves, however I admire your thriftiness.

• Pangaearocks

Pangaearocks Big Damn Hero

This may be a better place to ask semi-random questions.

I see on the wiki that the prices for e.g. wood will increase greatly in year 2. Given we need heaps of the stuff for buildings and other things, would it be a good idea to blow a pile of money on buying wood before year 2 starts? At some point there won't be any more on the farm to cut down, and although there are trees elsewhere, it takes time for them to regrow, so supply is limited.

Stone should be less of an issue due to the mines, and hopefully I'm okay with ores too.

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you have spare money, go ahead, it's a perfectly reasonable idea. That being said, you could also keep an area of the farm where you just cut down trees and replant the seeds, so supply isn't really limited, although they take some time to regrow.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

You can visit Robin on Winter 28 and fill a chest with wood for only 72k, so I don't really see a downside. That's enough to build all the buildings you want, or 1200 kegs, or over 700 preserves jars

EDIT arithmetic fail, 72k would be the sell price. Buy price would be 360k. Still a bargain really

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
                • ShneekeyTheLost

By the time Year 2 comes around, the bumped prices are relatively trivial anyway.

• Pangaearocks

Cheers. Kinda wish I had as much money as the powergamers probably do by the end of year 1, so I could afford to blow a large part of it on coal, copper and wood. But alas I do not, after upgrading to a deluxe barn in the hope of getting a year 1 greenhouse. I got there at Winter 21 from a probably lucky large milk, so in the end no need for the sheep I bought. Was a nice thought, though, so perhaps for a later game. Buying heaps of seeds once spring year 2 rolls around is going to cost a bomb, so must try to save up some.

Cool to finally get the greenhouse, though :) Found an ancient seed, so that's in there, plus a small section of strawberries and rare seeds. Once I can afford it, there will be some fruit trees too. No luck with apples in the cave, so that should be first.

Don't know if this is a bug or exploit or whatever, but I came across something slightly odd with Krobus in the sewer. From sheer coincidence I happened to get the key that unlocked it on a Friday, and thankfully had decent funds when it happened. Went to greet the guy, and bought the iridium sprinkler for 10 grand. Scrolled down the shop list some more, and noticed the stardrop (had forgotten about that). So bought that. Go into the shop again, and I see another iridium sprinkler. Suppose the shop list reset when I bought the stardrop? In any case, that meant I could buy two iridium sprinklers on that first Friday. Very nice :)

Spent some time yesterday trying to design the farm for the new year. Hopefully it won't look like crap. Eventually I'd like to put kegs/jars in the barn by the greenhouse and build another one further west or south. Am not so good with aesthetics so maybe it will look like crap, but what do you think?

[​IMG]

Because this is generated from the plan it's kind of a mish-mash between current placements and planned ones, so it looks a bit weird with trees and whatnot, and the iridium sprinklers on the road is a draft to see how it would look with those instead. Will two sheds north of the mini-lake be too crowded? The silo must be moved somewhere too, and west/east of the house could get a make-belief grill/outdoors area (if there is purchasable 'furniture' for that).

Should try to not go overboard with farming areas as I don't want to turn the game into actual work, but I'm thinking of having a decently sized area. So for instance the 2x3 quality sprinkler sections. More further west may be too much to maintain without going mad =)

I've got some mushroom trees too, so must either try to accommodate those, or simply cut them down. Have put a tapper on the one south of the mini-lake (in the actual save), but it's kinda underwhelming tbh.

• ShneekeyTheLost

You can get decent amounts of copper by farming levels 30-39 repeatedly, that way you don't have to buy it from Clint. Farm soot sprites around level 60ish for coal. You might end up needing to buy coal, but you should be able to keep yourself in copper for keg production to keep up with your weekly oak resin take.

If you don't put in the trees first, you're going to have a problem. Fruit trees don't grow when anything, including other plant or sprinklers, are next to them. So if you want to 'max out' the 30 fruit trees, including on the dirt, you're going to want to do that *first*. You can put stuff around them after the trees are fully grown, because you're just going to process anyway.

It's a known bug/exploit. Much like the use of certain wallpaper to incubate a dino egg or turn in for a galaxy sword, or by naming things in a certain format to obtain items.

• Pangaearocks

Thank you. Have arrived at Winter 28 now, so need to think about what I need to do before year 2 rolls around, and it doesn't look like I'd be able to splurk out on huge quantities of any material, whether from Clint or Robin. But hopefully you are correct there and I'll be able to get what I need from the mines, and the forest (wood).

While searching for something different, I actually came across that thread where you argued for 30 fruit trees in the greenhouse. That's not my plan though. I'd like some trees in there for cross-season tree fruits, but I'd like to use the soil for normal seeds. I don't care much that it's not the most efficient thing in the game, and wouldn't want the micro-hell of daily hops anyway, and the obscene amount of kegs needed (which also cost an absolute mountain of resources). I know it will take a long time, but I'd like to fill it with ancient fruits. They are low-maintenance, and fits well timing-wise for putting them in kegs.

Besides, the one time I put trees in the lower part of the greenhouse, the lack of visibility made it a pain each time I went in there, so I certainly don't want fruit trees all over the place. When it's affordable, I'll probably line trees along the three other sides, which I think means 14. That is fine for my needs.

Okay, that is good in a sense. Did wonder if I had stumbled upon something unknown, but I suppose that every secret, big or small, has been discovered about this game over the years. And since this is known, it will probably be fixed in the upcoming 1.4 release, which is due tomorrow I think.

One aspect I wondered about both now and when I last played the game 12-18 months ago (whenever it was), is kegs vs jars vs time. This is of course touching upon number crunching and efficiency, so I may not want to actually do whatever is the "correct" answer, but it's still something I wonder about (human curiosity and all).

What I have seen so far ends up with kegs being the best, apart from some border cases where low-value fruits are better off in jars -- roughly speaking. In terms of value this is correct. But to be able to process huge amounts of fruits to wine, we need tons of kegs, and therefore loads of space. For people filling practically every square in the entire map with kegs that isn't going to be an issue. But others will maybe have one or two barns for kegs + jars, and a few sheds. Therefore quite limited space. Therefore I would think that time comes into the equation as well, maybe even for increasing quality in casks (it takes a long time for wine to go from gold to irridium, with not-impressive increase in price).

Ignoring micro-hell, would it not be better to:
                        * Preserve wine in casks until gold quality, then put a new batch in. You can get, say, 20 bottles from normal to gold, or 10 from normal to iridium in the same amount of time.
                        * Instead of having hordes of kegs, would it not be better to use much of that same available space (but not everything) for jars? The increase in price per product isn't as high, but the process is much faster, so overall I would think the income is higher -- provided you have a good-sized crop farm?

(And a slight aside: although jars isn't easy to produce in huge quantities, you can buy all the needed material elsewhere, while for kegs you need oak resin, which you have to produce yourself.)

I've never built Stardew Valley farms to such industrial levels, and would probably get bored from the monotonous work involved if I did. However, looking at some info and formulas on the wiki, it seems to me that it would be better for total income to largely base the infrastructure on jars instead of kegs, and also to sell wine at gold quality instead of wait until it hits irridium. Maybe the same for cheese too, though the overall process is faster here.

One of the downsides of course is that it would be much more labour intensive as well, not least if trying to get wine out of casks when they hit gold, as you would need to check how long they have come (as opposed to seeing when they've become iridium). Stuff processing more slowly means you have more time to do other things in the game, like talking to people, going mining / skull caverning, or fishing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2019
                        • Elenna101

For fruits, that is the case, yes. For vegetables (which become juice in kegs), though, it's the opposite - they're better off in jars except for the two highest-value vegetables (pumpkins and red cabbage) which are better off in kegs.
                          That's because the formula for wine price is 3*base price, but the formula for juice price is 2.25*base price. The formula for anything in a jar is 2*base price + 50.
                          So fruit are better off in jars when base price <= 50, which is only true for blueberries and apricots (although some other things, like cranberries, are close enough that the lowered processing time may be worth it to you.)
                          And vegetables are better of in jars when 0.25*base price <= 50, or base price <= 200, which is true for all vegetables except pumpkins and red cabbage.

IMO the space requirements aren't that bad - my original file has 20 iridium sprinklers (where I plant a variety of different plants, not just the most optimal ones) and I can process them all in 4 deluxe barns, which really don't take up much space. The time requirements for putting crops in to process is more annoying.

As for time, when you're still setting the farm up it may be useful to have money coming in immediately, but when you're talking about multiple buildings worth of processing machines I think you can afford to wait a few days in order to get more money. YMMV.
                          Of course, that assumes you plan to build enough to process everything. If not, jars are probably better so you can process more stuff, but it would depend on your exact situation.

It's true that the iridium price for wine is not double the gold price, but the *increase* in price is doubled.
                          Let's look at starfruit wine, for example.
                          Base price: 2250 g
                          The price for gold starfruit wine is 3375g, which means you get an extra 3375-2250 = 1125g from putting it in a cask for a month.
                          The price for iridium starfruit wine is 4500g, which means you get an extra 4500-2250 = 2250g from putting it in a cask for two months. Note that 2250 = 2*1125.

So assuming you have enough wine to fill all the casks (very likely because of how small the basement is), there's no difference in profit from bringing them to gold vs iridium quality. (And either way, it's not very much money.)

That being said,
                          Actually, the casks will have a little gold star on them if the product has reached gold-star levels (and same for silver star)

• ShneekeyTheLost

It makes sense, and a very low-maintenance compromise is the simple 116 Ancient Fruit build, maybe having 18 fruit trees around the perimeter if you want.

You've got a contradiction in your proposed methodology. If you use preserves jars instead of kegs, they become preserves which cannot be aged.

Here's my rule of thumb for kegs vs jars vs time vs production of said machines...

For Ancient Fruit, it is entirely in your best interests to Keg that into Ancient Wine. Once fully grown, Ancient Fruit produces one fruit per week. And it takes one week to brew an ancient fruit into ancient wine. It's a match made in heaven. That means a total of 116 kegs needed to keep up with production.

Now, 116 kegs sounds like a lot, I know, but it's surprisingly reasonable. I'm going to 'round up' to 120 since it makes the numbers nice and pretty, but just know that they're going to be slight overestimates due to rounding.

A Keg requires 30 wood, 1 iron, 1 copper, and 1 oak resin. So, initially, you say '12 * 3 = 36, add your zeroes and that makes... 3,600 wood!!!'. And get very intimidated, that's three and a half stacks of wood right there! However, assuming you purchase in Year One, that's 10g/ea or roughly 36k. But really, is that all that much right now? I mean, that's slightly more than the price of the two sheds you'll want to store them in. So that's a 66k outlay in raw cash if you buy the lumber for this entire project.

But what do you get out of that?

116 ancient fruit at 2,310g/ea (assuming you aren't bothering to age them) nets you 267,960g per *week*. Per Week! You pay for the whole project, and everything else, with your very first harvest!

But let's say you don't have 66k just laying around, yanno... 'as ya do'. Well, that's fine, let's break this up in easy to handle installments! I mean, you're going to be needing to wait on your Oak Resin to come in anyway, So, that's 10 easy installments of just 6.6k. Of course, that doesn't really take into consideration that some of those costs can't really be broken up, so let's look at this from a practical point of view, shall we?

The first shed is going to cost you 15k. You're generally going to want a pair of sheds eventually, because while they may not be as space-efficient as a single Deluxe Barn, they're a lot easier to get (you don't have to upgrade twice), and cheaper when you factor in the cost of the assorted materials involved in building and upgrading a barn. That's going to be your initial layout before you ever start making kegs, because you're going to want some place to put them.

Next, you're going to want a stand of oak trees producing resin. How large is up to you, but let's go conservative and say 15 of them. That's 15 tappers, or roughly 30 Copper. That's roughly 150 copper ore. If you spend the majority of your time in Winter hitting 30-39, you can get that in a couple of days, maybe a week at most.

Now, with 15 oak trees producing resin, you're looking at producing 120 of them in 8 weeks, or two seasons. Each week you will need: 15 Copper, 15 Iron, and 240 wood. Assuming you can get the copper and iron from the mines in a week, the wood is a mere 2,400g per week. I think you can handle that. And realistically, it's going to take around eight weeks to finish propagating your ancient fruit anyway.

After the first month, don't forget the 15k outlay for the second shed.

I honestly wouldn't bother with the casks. It can increase your bottom line, but you're only going to be able to age a tiny fraction of your yield anyway. They cost Hardwood to make anyway, which means farming the Hidden Forest stumps.

This is a VERY 'hands off' style of farming. One day per week, you harvest your Ancient Fruit, collect your Ancient Wine, and process your Ancient Fruit in your now empty kegs. It's a very streamlined process, at least on PC. You collect your ancient fruit, then you go strafe your kegs in your sheds with the fruit so that you are both collecting the wine and placing new fruit with the same mouse movement. Takes me less than two in-game hours to complete, generally, depending on where my sheds are located. Almost no 'micromanagement' involved.

Contrast with Jars

Preserves Jars take 2-3 days to process, meaning it's actually MORE micromanagement-intensive to use them than kegs when working with Ancient Fruit because that's twice or three times a week you have to feed them. You've got a theoretically smaller footprint for the same production capacity, but you still need to harvest weekly regardless and then you'll need somewhere to store the rest to retrieve from for the second and possibly third processing day that week. It's a significantly bigger pain, really. At least for Ancient Fruit.

Now, let's talk about outlay. Preserves Jars at first seem to be 'cheaper' than Kegs, and you can theoretically purchase everything you need... however the problem is that it is going to be FAR more expensive than Kegs made by just purchasing wood, and mining up your copper and iron.

Each Preserves Jar requires 50 wood, 40 stone, and 8 coal. If you were to purchase all that yourself, assuming Year One prices, that's 500g for the wood, 800g for the stone, and a whopping 1,200g for the coal, totaling 2,500g PER Jar.

How many Jars will we need? Well, you can process 2-3 ancient fruit per week with Jars. Since it is impossible to process a fraction of a fruit, we have to round down, so you'll still need roughly 60 Jars to get your business done. Maybe as little as 50. That's 125,000g outlay, plus the 15k for the shed.

And here's where a hidden advantage comes in to making kegs, a couple actually. Because the Oak Resin forces you to spread out your work over eight weeks, you don't need everything in one big batch, so you can amortize your costs over your build-up period. You go mining, dig up some copper. You only need 75 copper ore to make 15 copper, and 15 coal. You can get that in a day or two. Same with the Iron, and get your coal in the same run because the same levels that iron spawns in contain soot sprites to farm. Two birds with one stone. This substantially decreases your gold cost outlay by being able to (and I make NO apologies for the pun) farm it out.

However, Preserves Jars require wood, stone, and coal, three separate resources. Wood is found by chopping trees, and is an extremely endurance-draining task, requiring an outlay of endurance recovery to do. And you can't harvest the stone and coal at the same time. Which means completely different areas instead of theoretically being able to hit everything on the same run (take elevator to 30, just keep going down until time runs out, if you hit the ice levels, continue farming iron and soot sprites).

So as far as your greenhouse production goes, you're going really want Kegs. It just doesn't make any sense from any practical perspective to NOT use kegs with ancient fruit. It's the low maintenance (one day workweek!) high profit option.

For the rest, it depends on what you are wanting to plant. If you want to plant Blueberries instead of Hops for Summer, then go Jars absolutely. If you want to go Starfruit instead, go Kegs because they're absolutely worth the price, and you only need one keg per two starfruit since it takes two weeks for Starfruit to grow. But honestly, with a quarter million in your pocket per week from your Greenhouse... what you do with the rest of your property is entirely and utterly up to you. You've already got your steady income banked, the rest can make as much or as little monetary sense as you like, and you'll still clear a minimum of a million per season.

• kidkid123

kidkid123 Phantasmal Quasar

Just so you know....fruits are best put in kegs, vegetables in presserve jars....

Second, the later you go in the game, the less you have to do. I mean, in the first year, you water your plants manually..after you get iridium sprinklers, you don't need to water them anymore :). I am in my 5th year :)...i legit have no work to do on my farm :)...maybe only when i have to put ancient fruits in kegs :)...Ancient fruits last all year ;)...and i have junimos huts :)...

• One More Day

@Pangaearocks In terms of g per day, jars almost always earn more money than kegs, with the notable exceptions being when processing hops and wheat, which are both obscenely profitable in kegs. These are the two low value vegetables you definitely do not want to put in jars.

Jars are easier to make, because as you say, you can simply buy the ingredients but, they cost a lot of money; they're already an eye-watering 2,500g each in Y1, and they shoot up to a truly staggering 9,000g each after that. If you can organise acorns to plant oak trees, and then tappers to get oak resin, I think kegs are a much better bet in the long run.

IMO, casks are barely worth the effort tbh, once set up cost is taken into account. If you never craft any extra casks, the thirty or so you get cost over 3k each, which will take a very long time to recoup. Alternatively, if you make about another 100 casks to fill the cellar with the optimum layout, each cask will still cost about 1,000g each

• Elenna101

Eh, one or two (depending how many casks you make) rounds of starfruit wine will make you the money back. My problem with the cellar is more the time investment, crafting all the casks is kind of a pain for not much return per day.
                                  Unless you define 2-4 months as "a very long time", in which case, yeah, fair.

• Pangaearocks

Thank you all for the thorough feedback. Looks like my hunch that relying more on jars is more profitable - but it will of course be more micron intensive since the turnover is quicker.

About casks, I misread the wiki. Should have looked closer on the actual values instead of the price factor. I mistakenly read that as +150% and +200%, which would mean it was better to sell the produce as gold quality. But it's x1.5 and x2.0, which means it's equally effective to just keep them until iridium quality since time vs price increase is equal. But then you are also correct that it's not really that much of a money maker compared to huge farming and kegs+jars processing. But my thinking is that we may as well put some high price wine in them. Income will be more than not using them.

All that said, I don't like the second house upgrade that adds a crib, so maybe I'll never even bother to get the cellar. Wish we could build a cellar without the crib upgrade. Or at least remove the crib and such. I don't want kids in the game anyway, so it's just a waste of a room. And it's not exactly cheap to upgrade either, especially in hardwood.

With auto-grabbers working for coops in the 1.4 upgrade, maybe I'll go for a coop anyway. Animals are still a lot of work though. So often do I forgot to open and/or close the doors at the right time, and at least in the early game I need to pet and milk them, which takes time every single day. Really is tempting to just sell them all. They're cute and all, but even with just four I'm getting a little fed up with them :-/

Have another question: Are there any ocean fishing spots that are less horrible than the majority? I'm getting really fed up of fishing up all the trash the ocean has ever received when I'm using bobbers. Hence a very limited amount of 'catches' before they wear out.

I've tried near the rock on the western pier, straight down on that pier, and probably everywhere else too (including across the small 300wood bridge), but often I go 6-7 catches with nothing but trash and seaweed.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2019
                                    • Anhaga

Anhaga Master Chief

What level is your fishing? I think that you're supposed to get less trash as your level goes up. I usually don't get more than 1-2 pieces of trash per 10 casts, I think, no matter where I'm fishing on the beach. I do usually fish at the ends of the piers, though, mostly the far end of the one near Willy's house and then at the end of the one on the far-over beach.

• Elenna101

From what I understand, trash percentages are based on what water depth you're fishing in, which is basically based on how far your bobber is from the land, and max fishing distance is based on level. So, yes, trash percentages go down as your level goes up, as long as you're making sure not to fish too close to any land.
                                        That being said, given that Pangearocks is using bobbers, they're at least level 6, so I don't think it's that big of an issue.

I don't know of any places in the ocean where the water depth is higher than other places (contrary to popular belief, there's nothing special about fishing at the rock), so I guess that's a no to the actual question. However, I also don't think the ocean is particularly more likely to produce trash than the river or lake? IDK, maybe you just got a string of bad luck.

(Side note: this is why I don't use bobbers much unless I'm specifically trying to catch a very hard fish, or unless it's late game enough that I've got a ton of gold to spend on treasure bobbers.)

• One More Day

Was it during the three days of the Night Market at the beach? You can only catch trash at the ocean while it is on.