1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Manufacturer's Touch 1.2.16

Weapons manufacturers now have an effect on randomly generated weapons.

1. Superepicgecko

Superepicgecko Space Penguin Leader

Sure thing, glad I asked :)

I'd also like to say - I've been messing around with the mod, and cannot add new manufacturers. When I try, (with a valid .manu and .palettes file, and the name added to manufacturers.config) guns are produced with no manufacturer, or I get a generic item. I cannot for the life of me figure out what i'm doing wrong.

I also noticed the following error in the starbound.log.

[15:57:07.466] [Error] Could not instantiate item '[uncommonassaultrifle, 1, {"primaryAbility":{"fireTimeFactor":0.376719,"baseDpsFactor":0.843476,"energyUsageFactor":0.682696},"animationPartVariants":{"butt":8,"barrel":11,"middle":19},"altAbilityType":"explosiveburst","manufacturer":"rotik","seed":3803054080,"elementalType":"explosive","shortdescription":"Riotscalper"}]'. (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/scripts/util.lua"]:518: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)
    stack traceback:
    [C]: in ?
    [C]: in function '_ENV.pairs'
    [string "/scripts/util.lua"]:518: in field 'mergeTable'
    [string "/items/buildscripts/buildweapon.lua"]:133: in function <[string "/items/buildscripts/buildweapon.lua"]:8>

Not sure if this is related to the issue or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I am using a mod which adds more variety to the weapon names but I don't see how this could interfere.

Edit: I should mention that the error in question is not specific to Rotik guns - I've had the same issue with a Callox weapon.

2. AlbertoRota

AlbertoRota Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello again, pull request send with the name colorized, code cleaned and tons of weapons spawned to test.

I'm now trying to move the "manufacturer name" to the "weapon type", ta integrate it even more with the gun instead of being apart.
    Example: "Manaticon pistol", "Callox axe" or "Xia-Li hammer"

It works on single worded types, bur fails on multi worded ones:
    ExampleMultiWordedName.png

I've been looking at it for quite a while... but can't find why... any clues?

3. Kitikira

Kitikira Phantasmal Quasar

I figured this out, it's an issue with the mod itself, and I must have missed it during testing. This only happens when you get an explosive Rotik weapon with explosive burst, or a non-ice Callox weapon with explosive burst. In these cases, both of them default the damage type to physical, which explosive burst doesn't support. As far as I can see, its the only ability for ranged weapons that doesn't support physical.

As for adding new manufacturers, are you adding them to the list for each weapon? Each weapon determines which manufacturers it can spawn with, so in order to add one to a weapon, you need to create a patch like this:

In commonassaultrifles.activeitem.patch
    Code:
    [
      {
        "op": "add",
        "path": "/builderConfig/0/manufacturer/-",
        "value": "newCompany!"
      }
    ]

You'll have to do this for every weapon that the new manufacturer supports. It's a bit annoying, but it gives the weapon more control over itself, so it's a tradeoff.

Cool, I'll try to add it later.

For the weapon type, the problem is that Starbound looks up a label for each category from a name stored in categories.config.

So you start with a value like "machinePistol". Starbound then checks that file and gets "Machine Pistol". But if it finds nothing in there, it just displays it as it. When you add the manufacturer name to this, it only takes the id, and since there is no id "Necrolix machinePistol", it just displays that.

The easiest way around it, although tedious, is if you took the manufacturerName from the manu file and added that in from of the weapon type to get something like "necrolixmachinePistol". Then add that to categories.config with the proper name. The problem with this is you'd have to do it for every weapon type a manufacturer produces.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. Superepicgecko

Insightful and helpful, thank you.

5. origamania

origamania Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not sure if this is intended or not, but firing a necrolix guided missile will only guide one while the other flies straight ahead.

6. Kitikira

7. origamania

origamania Subatomic Cosmonaut

is it just me or are Graxus weapons extremely rare? So far I've only found one

8. Superepicgecko

Yes! No more green cubes of doom.

9. Kitikira

That's a feature /s!
    I didn't intend for that to happen, I guess that's just how the game interprets multiple projectiles for the ability. I'm not sure how easily I will be able to change that, especially since it involves modifying the lua script, which I've been trying to keep to a minimum, but I'll look into it to see if I can find an easy fix. Although given that it works, just not as intended, it'll probably be a lower priority that some of the more awful effects I'm dealing with right now.

It's probably just bad luck, since none of the manufacturer's probabilities are weighted, so the only thing that affects the chance is the number of weapon types each makes. Graxus weapons are slightly rarer, since they only make 5 weapon types, compared to the average of 5.875.

To AlbertoRota, sorry about not updating for your prefixes. I plan on incorporating it into the build, but I've had a hectic few days, and want to do something special with it. I plan on adding an options file that allows you to select between different color options, so I'm waiting for that first.

10. AlbertoRota

No problem at all, it make sense to make them more easily configurable.

In other other of things, i'm trying to give the manufacturers a bit more of personality, I'm now modifying "Callox" weapons.
    I imagine them being EXTREMELLY big caliber guns, more like something designed for a vehicle than for a biped human sized creature.
    And... you know? Big caliber slow firing weapons should have a big recoil::nurunega:
    calloxsniperriflerecoil.gif calloxmachinepistolrecoil.gif

(Sorry for the low quality)

Recoil is dependant on rate of fire, so slowest weapons get the biggest recoil.
    To add recoil to a manufacturer's weapon you need to add it to "rangedPrimaryAbility".
    Code:
    "rangedPrimaryAbility" : {
        "recoilSpeed" : 200.0,
        "recoilForce" : 1500.0,
      }
    If you like it, i can make a pull request with it :nuruwink:

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  11. Kitikira

Oh wow, I love that! I didn't even know that was possible for Starbound's weapons.

12. AlbertoRota

I'm glad you like it, added to the same pull request as the prefix colors :nuruhappy:
    Starbound is extremely mod-friendly, there is little that can't be achieved by modding it (Thanks Chucklefish)

I'm now looking at other manufacturer's... "Callox" will have their signature recoil, "Graxus" have their signature explosive type and "Necrolix" have signature double-shot but the rest don't feel quite as unique (If that is even applicable to random weapons).

I'm now thinking on Xia-Li... what do you think about changing this:
    For this:
    • Xia-Li weapons give "Energy regen" bonus when equipped (Energy regen starts at 0.25 secs instead of 1 sec) - DONE
    • If you run out of energy shooting them, they will "Zap" you (A bit of damage and "Electrified" status effect) - DONE
    • Only energy bullets? - ABANDONED (Perhaps for the future)
    XiaLiEnergyRegenAndFeedback.gif

It's still dirty code... but it works!!!
    I can give any "status" (Vanilla or custom) to anyone who equips a weapon just by specifying it on the manufacturer file :nurutease:
    Code:
    "rangedPrimaryAbility" : {
        "onEquiptStatus" : "auxiliarpowerplant",
      },

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  13. SemperVie

SemperVie Big Damn Hero

Just a small question. is it compatible with FU?

14. Superepicgecko

Kitikara, any idea on how long that Steam Workshop release will take?
    I've compiled a list of over 150 new manufacturers, made new color pallets, made my mods compatible, all I'm waiting for is the go-ahead.

15. Kitikira

An update for everybody: I've finally finished melee weapons, and now I just need to do more testing for them to make sure they're ready.

That's really cool too! I'd love to give the less unique manufacturers more stuff, and Xia-Li definitely needs it. Thanks for all this neat stuff, I'd love to try and get your stuff working for 1.0.

Should be. I play using FU too, and it only adds new stuff when it comes to weapons, so there should be no conflicts.

Sorry about that. When I asked you to wait I expected to be finished a lot sooner, so sorry about my delay delaying you too. That's a ton of manufacturers, I'm really interested to see it in action!

I hope to release 1.0 tonight if all of my testing goes well, and if I do I'll probably release it on Steam tomorrow. All of my major goals for that release are done, and the only remaining stuff is testing and adding Alberto's additions.

16. Superepicgecko

17. Kitikira

Wow, turns out it wasn't bad luck, I was just an idiot and misspelled Graxus in a lot of the manufacturer lists, causing weapons without a manufacturer to spawn in its place. That should be fixed in this version.

To AlbertoRota: I tried to use the Callox changes, but ended up getting errors with the gunfire.lua script. I'll look into fixing it tomorrow, since I probably made changes to the builder that ended up making it incompatible. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  18. Kitikira

Kitikira updated Manufacturer's Touch with a new update entry:

1.0 Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

19. AlbertoRota

Congratulations for the release!

I've been cleaning a lot of the code i wrote, i no longer need to modify "gunfire.lua", which should make it more manageable, i will make a pull request later.

Thank you :nuruawe:
    I'm next looking at Shade. Co., they claim their weapons have an above average precision... You know who claims that too? Hyperion!

• Weapons start with an increased dispersion (As in borderlands 2)
    • Weapon dispersion and projectile speed increase the longer you shoot them (As in borderlands 2)
    • Crouching while shooting will increase that bonus (To emulate the bonus given while zooming in borderlands 2)

Do that make sense?

20. Altered_Nova

Altered_Nova Big Damn Hero

I absolutely love everything about this mod idea. It looks amazing.

Is this mod compatible with mods that add new weapon names?

I have a mod installed that changes the legendary weapons to display both their flavor text and weapon stats such as DPS. Will that mod conflict with this one?

Will these weapons work with the weapon fusion station mod?