1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Mantis Race 0.6.7 [Spirited Giraffe]

A race of paleontologist insects bent on unravelling the secrets of the universe.

1. Setrilo

Setrilo Phantasmal Quasar

Okay so the latest bug is that Resinberry plants take up 2 spaces instead of 1 like they're supposed to, that should be an easy fix, and I can get that done by the next update. Just letting everyone know that I know about it. Also, the resinberries, when in your hand they appear in your arm socket. Again, easy fix, not to worry.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

To fix that, in "spaces", use [ [0, 0], [0, 1], ... ], continuing the sequence until the second number equals the desired block height minus one.

Setrilo likes this.
  3. Protoeyesore

Protoeyesore Master Chief

Best that I submit concepts. Starbound races are very customizable so I attempted to work out some Mantis faces. As you are working on custom eyes I thought up some possible combinations and custom antannae. I was going for a female look.

Mantis Heads big.png

As these are fully custom sprites based on your icon, the faces came out shorter then the official sprite. I also am not sure if this helps at all.

Edit: I just learned that I could of just used the template in the mod files and added some antennae in the game as a concept in action

Hair show2.png

Hair show.png

Also, bee antennae and red eyes!

Hair show3.png

Yes, while mantis are still the main influence of the race, I added other insects to the mix. Sort of like how the Hylotl are based on salamanders but have features of a large amount of fish... and even an octopus.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Noranum and Setrilo like this.
  4. Setrilo

Yea, i have been neglecting the customization a bit. I like those ideas and the colors, I'll see what I can do about adding in additional eyes, antennae, and mandibles. I think I'll actually make that the priority for the next update.

Protoeyesore likes this.
  5. Protoeyesore

Great to hear! I also added some pics to my other post of the custom antennae in action. All the antennae are fully useable in game.

Setrilo likes this.
  6. Setrilo

How exactly did you get the different eye shapes to work in-game? What slider do you have changing the shape/color?

7. Protoeyesore

I wish I could give you a better answer then the truth at hand. I just changed the appearance of female head in the mod files and added the red eyes in post as a proof of concept. I will see what I can do to make this fully custom in game after I figure out how to even mod Starbound.

8. Setrilo

Hey no it's no problem. I was just thinking to myself that it wasn't possible to have separate eye shapes unless I did something like replace one of the other sliders. So, I actually don't think it's possible at all to have different eye SHAPES, but I can always add more colors, more antennae, and more mandibles. I've already done a little bit of work on it now.

9. Noranum

Noranum Phantasmal Quasar

Wouldn't it be possible to bind different eye shapes to the eye colour slider thingy? I really don't have any idea how this works, this just came into my mind. Like, you have 4 designs for the eyes and provide every one in, let's say, 6 colours. Would be some clicking to get what you want, but no pain, no gain. (This is just an idea I had while reading this. Don't know if this works.)

10. Setrilo

Well, how it works is there's one file with the head shape in it. The head shape dictates the shape of the eye. The different colors are HEX values in a text file that take the colors of the current eye shape, dictated by that file, and then change them into other colors.

It's really hard to explain this, but like, the CLOSEST I could get, would be to have bigger eyes in the head-shape-file, then only color SOME the pixels inside that bigger eye, thus creating a smaller eye. The only issue with that is that the pixels I don't color would have to be the same as the skin color, which would be different because they depend on what the player chooses for the camouflage slider, so it wouldn't really work.

I did NOT do a good job of explaining that, but the bottom line is I don't think there's any way to make it work.

11. Protoeyesore

I wish I could do more to help then make sub par sprite work. All I can suggest is to pair the eyes with the mouth slider and call it "face".

Also, Resinberry works perfectly fine but the recipe for making Amber blocks is missing.

Also I need to state that unless you are going to add some sort of pigtail-like antennae, I am going to have to mod the mod to put it in in every mod update as I have the hair file.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  12. Noranum

I understood you perfectly well. My writing English may be a mess, but at least I understand what people try to tell me :D
    Got it. And I have to admit, that if I had thought over this idea some time, I would get the answer to my question all by myself, so sorry for that, won't post stuff like this again.

13. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Why not have an eyeless head-file (smooth skin on the eyes), then have the eyes added in like hair? That way you can have whatever size eye you want.

14. Noranum

That is what I thought. An those eyes could be coloured any desired colour.

15. Setrilo

Well I would need an entirely new slider called "Eye Shape", but there's no more sliders to use, unless you suggest implementing it within the "Antennae" slider, but there are three problems with that.
    • Eyes wouldn't make sense under the "Antennae" category, so it would need a new name
    • I would have to duplicate every hair choice and pair it with the new eye choices. So if I have 19 hair choices and 10 eye choices, I would need 190 different selections to incorporate all the combinations, thus defeating the purpose of sliders
    • The Eye Color slider, since it uses the same color as antennae would also affect the color of the Antennae (this is a minor issue because I could always change the hex color by like, 1)
    I really want to add eye shape, it would add so much more customization possibility, but I just can't think of the right way to do it.

16. Protoeyesore

I Think you should pair eyes with the mandibles (facial hair) and name it "face style" or "head". If the color works out, make the eyes the "Undies" color, the mandibles the "Skin color" and the Antennae the "Hair color." With this, you will also be able to use the "Undies' color to effect special Antennae.

I could do a quick demo if I can figure out the color key and hex order which I am looking into now.

Edit: I think I get the idea now. Let me see it if it works.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  17. Protoeyesore

Update time! I seem to be putting in a lot of work into a mod that is not even mine since it's so awesome. I guess I was serious when I stated that I wanted to help out however possible since I am learning quickly how to mod the game.

ANYWAYS!
    I looked into it a little and no other mods I can find have figured out how to add another slider to the mix. I was able to insert the eyes into the facial hair area but I can't seem to change the "undies" color of the eyes. The mandibles are still changing with the skin color however the eyes remain only one color.

My goal is to be able to make the "Eye Color" change the "Undies" color in the "Facialhair" area, like how the undies color changes the hair color of the human race to give them hairbands and bows. I also want to figure out if the order of sliders is built into the engine or if it's determined by something else.

Noranum likes this.
  18. Noranum

Good luck with this. :)

19. Protoeyesore

Welp, currently you have these two options with the eyes, Setrilo.

-You can keep the eyes the way they are and add more colors
    OR
    -You can abandon the ability to color the eyes and add more eyes by combining them with the facial hair and use the extra slider to change the color of a mantis body pattern or something. I can help you out with this one if you chose it since it's sometimes tedious to alter the base body.

Sorry I could not give better news then this. I spent hours trying to figure this out and all I can come back is with this.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  20. Setrilo

Well first of all, thank you so much for all your time and your help. Like, just knowing there's people out there that love my mod and are this dedicated to it makes me feel really great and makes me want to add so many more features. Seriously, thanks!

And in regard to the eyes, I mean, as much as I'd love the idea of more shapes, it's starting to look like something that's even possible, at the very least not possible without drowning time and effort into finding some obscure, roundabout way of doing it, maybe even sacrificing other features for it. I don't know, maybe I'll pick up eye shape some time later, but I feel like there's other customization options I can explore.

I've had this idea for a long time, but I can have latent patterns hidden within the arms and leg .png files that I can use to give some camouflages unique patterns and some camouflages with no patterns like they are now. It would be very complicated and time consuming to have a lot of different patterns, but it would totally be worth it. I would just need some ideas for skin/camouflage patterns, I've tried a couple but they usually don't come out right. I'll post some concept ideas when I think of good ones.[DOUBLEPOST=1424455005][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, if anyone has an idea for a mandible/antennae design, I would be happy to add it to the mod. I've come up with a few cool ones myself, but there's only so much you can do with mandibles (without making them huge and unrealistic), and the same SORT OF goes for antennae, but sometimes huge is good for those. My point is, if you have a design you TOTALLY WANT in the game, I would be happy to consider it, and knowing me, there's like a 95% chance I'd add it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Protoeyesore and Noranum like this.