Modding Discussion Making Sprites Smaller.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dilrax, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

this is really starting to bug me...

anyhow, anyone know of any good methods or programs to make sprites that wee bit smaller with out the added fuzziness? i mean sure i make my own sprites that very in size, but im better at making sprites an average of 17 pixels in height or bigger, anything 15 pixels or smaller is a real problem for me when i want to make something look nice with a decent shape.

and well...i have some size problems with a few weapon sprites (yet to be released) mostly because they are small guns and well... they are bigger then they should be ingame, personally i use game maker version's 8.1 and rarely version 3 i think it is, to make my sprites but that wont help me here, so as asked if anyone knows any good programs or methods to make sprites that wee bit smaller, or if you want to give it a go and see what magic you can work on it, it would be greatly appreciated...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    in the event of someone making an attempt at making a sprite smaller, the sprite image will be sent in a message, you are also to acknowledge the fact you may not use the sprite for your own mod or personal display unless given permission by me, you may not also publicly post the sprite with out permission before the RA mod pack update <(please understand that the contents of the update are meant to be "secret" thus little info is spoken/given.) and you are also helping and in appreciation for your help you name will be listed on the mod page in the 'special thanks' list.

2. Aurorialis

Aurorialis Pangalactic Porcupine

Individual pixels can't be divided. When you're using a painting program (GIMP for me) and at the zoom level where you are working with individual pixels, there is no smaller unit. So if you have something 17 pixels long and want it to be 15 pixels long, how can that work? You can't divide each of those pixels by 15/17 to get a perfectly downscaled object, so you have to just remove 2 of those seventeen pixels.

Resizing images in general is a bit of a pain (see raster versus vector images). It's better to redraw or hand-edit if you can.

Daimoth and The | Suit like this.
  3. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

normally i can resize the height by cutting some lines out and making it look "even" how ever it kinda looks funny to me and obscured, where as in someone else's perspective it might look more natural or better, generally its all just a matter of Detail...

4. telles0808

telles0808 Cosmic Narwhal

Dilrax, if you're wiling to obtain a good resize, try using a option called by "nearest neighbor" while resizing.

I do it using Fireworks for pixelarts. It'll keep the pixels individually, instead of anti-alias, also, it'll share the distribution over the whole image instead of single pixels, merging, if necessary, pixel colors to make transitions.

Dilrax, Aurorialis and The | Suit like this.
  5. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

finally got around to using fireworks and it makes a hell of a difference, the slight loss of detail but the clean No-fuzz sprites are well worth it, so thanks for the help and Tip. :up: