Modding Discussion Making new NPC's?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by G00ps, Sep 19, 2017.

1. G00ps

G00ps Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm just getting started learning C#, so this is merely a distant goal of mine but I was wondering if I could get some pointers on how to go about making new NPC's sometime in the future.
    Like, how do I even start?
    How can I add their code to the game without crashing the whole thing?
    Is it possible to make them a bachelor/ette?
    Is it possible to make new events for them?
    Do I have to code an entire new house for them, or can they live in an existing house?
    I've seen a couple of people on here make new NPC's so I know it's possible I just don't know how whatsoever.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

- By making sure your custom NPC is of the NPC class and does not extend it, unless you are willing to implement manual save handling for it
      - Yep, any NPC can be made marriable
      - Also possible
      - Your choice, what house they live in is just their schedule going "Go to place X and stay there doing nothing for Y hours"

Making a new NPC can be done with pure XNB editing, but doing so requires the player to manually edit their save file to make the NPC spawn, SMAPI can be used to make the NPC spawn and give it events and such, SMAPI 2.0 will even remove the -need- for xnb modding completely, as SMAPI mods will be able to edit xnb files on the fly.

anothersarah and Zalkyria like this.