Modding Help Making modded graffiti objects?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Iaeyan Elyuex, May 16, 2017.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I want to make some custom graffiti objects for use on my server. They would basically be clones of the "get out while you still can" type of graffiti, and will cost one pixel to make, as they break once mined.

My question is: How involved is this? What is the extent to which I have to define objects, tiles covered by said objects, and functionality to use it in multiplayer? Is it as simple as copying files and changing a few words? Will I have to completely redesign the dimensions of space occupancy? All the mods I've made so far just add recipes for objects already in the game. I've never actually added new assets to the game before.

Please help with this. I want to tag an ascension tower with "Kluex is a rabbit".

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I don't think there is anything special about those objects. Change the object name, description, the png file. If you change dimensions of the png, you'd need to change the frames file for that image accordingly.

Just try it and see how it goes.

lazarus78 likes this.
  3. Iaeyan Elyuex

I've actually succeeded in adding basic objects to the game. Now, What would I need to do to give the graffiti its own tab? I'm guessing that's a lot more complex. It's fine if I can't do it easily or if there's heavy lua involved. It would just be convenient.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I'm pretty sure getting the tab to exist just involves editing the config for the relevant crafting table, found in the /interface/windowconfig folder of your unpacked assets.

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I'm not sure you'll want to after learning the downsides. It is probably too heavy a solution.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/bk3ks-inventory.4569/
    You can look at my mod here to see what I did to add extra tabs to inventory.

You'd have to do a scaled down version of everything I'm doing in this mod. You'll in fact be making a full inventory replacement mod.
    You couldn't use another inventory mod at the same time as doing this.
    Your older characters won't work anymore and you can't fix this.
    Characters made with your mod won't work without it.

Now it might be close enough to you that your graffiti is a "decoration" thus sits in the decoration tab(if using my mod). That would clear up a lot of the inventory congestion. But it has those same downsides I mentioned.

6. Iaeyan Elyuex

Oh. Nah. It's cool. I think I'll keep my cluttered hands crafting.

http://imgur.com/a/ggSeV This is a preview of the stuff I'm adding. I'm also adding graffiti of insults to the Aetherians, the Miniknog and Occasus.

Oh. Wait. Did you think I meant inventory? I meant crafting tabs. Like, have stuff like torches and flags on one crafting tab, and graffiti on its own crafting tab. I don't want to add slots to my inventory. I know how that turns out. I have Improved Containers for that. I meant sorting the crafting recipes into tabs.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Actually yes I thought that's what you meant. I suppose that a crafting table tab does make more sense, doesn't it? Somehow you meaning that didn't occur to me :p

But you might as well just make your own table for this rather than trying to add a tab to an existing interface(at the risk of being incompatible with some UI mods).
    Or pass it to the Tabula Rasa - which supports custom filter buttons thus allowing you to see only your content with the push of a button.