Announcement Making mod installation easier

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by bartwe, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Leosky

Leosky Void-Bound Voyager

it should also have dependencies version support as mods change of version quietly more ofen than game versions

Code:
    {
      "name" : "sparkz",
      "version" : "Beta v. Indignant Koala",
      "path" : ".",
      "dependencies" : [ {"name" : "tabularasa" } , {"name" : "libveryuseful" , "version" : "15" }],
      "metadata": {
        "author" : "foo"
        "description" : "bar",
        "support_url" : "baz"
      }
    }

fabsen, Dagorran, Odat and 3 others like this.
  2. Cayote

Cayote Aquatic Astronaut

Mine are vanilla with de added ones, but I've seen posts going around that you can also make a very small file with only your lines. but I haven't experimented with those yet.

3. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

I'd like to see Version, at least, as a REQUIRED tag. Way too many Minecraft and Bethesda-engine mods that don't version anything, meaning it takes ten times as much effort to manage and update them.

4. robflop

robflop Subatomic Cosmonaut

Okay, i'm going to try that out now. Thank you very much.

5. badtrip987

badtrip987 Aquatic Astronaut

Is the reload command unlocked yet?

6. Jared

Jared Aquatic Astronaut

How about a boolean to check if the mods recipes are loaded in to the game.
    Code:
    "arerecipesloaded" : false
    When the player is selected, it checks this boolean and if it finds this false, it unlocks the appropriate Tier that the character is in and past Tiers. Once the recipes are loaded, it sets the boolean to true and displays the "new blueprint available" tab if recipes were found.

Sephlington likes this.
  7. gibbed

gibbed Orbital Explorer

I had suggested this on IRC to bartwe as well, but along the lines of:
    Code:
    {
      "name" : "sparkz",
      "content_version" : 2,
      "game_version" : "Beta v. Indignant Koala",
      "path" : ".",
      "dependencies" : [ "tabularasa", ["libveryuseful", 3] ],
      "metadata": {
        "author" : "foo"
        "description" : "bar",
        "support_url" : "baz"
      }
    }
    There's no reason to make dependency entries into objects (as well as allowing mixed entry types).

SnoopJeDi likes this.
  8. gibbed

gibbed Orbital Explorer

The path indicates where the mod assets are, relative of the modinfo file, so you are not forced to put them in the same directory as the modinfo file.

9. Aimay

Aimay Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I'm not going to use this at all. I'm just going to keep with the copy pasting thing.

10. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

The "path" thing is too allow a modpack to package several mods in a single directory.

CDisNinjy and Tyr like this.
  11. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

A bit off topic, but wouldn't it be better to have numerical version numbers for the version of starbound the mod is compatible with, which I guess would require version numbers for the game. Basically put version numbers into the game :P.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    dangerpeanut, renbear and DarkerCloud like this.
  12. Portalboat

Portalboat Aquatic Astronaut

Do you ever plan on letting us add custom scripting (as in, arguments for objects' "InteractAction" parameter), and if so, when?

Plystire likes this.
  13. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

Would be great to implement something so each client who joins the server to only activate the servers mods and scans the assets folder of the client.. so if the client's assets are not the same as the servers they won't be allowed on the server. Must be some anti-cheat system atleast.

14. eris.control

eris.control Void-Bound Voyager

expect a lot more work keeping your mods up to date with the game. expect them to break, or be broken by, other people's mods. expect nobody to want to use your mods. :p

creh, renbear, firekirby135 and 2 others like this.
  15. krail

krail Void-Bound Voyager

Will files in the mod folder be able to override vanilla stuff? For stuff that replaces existing stuff.

16. Shadowclaimer

Shadowclaimer Void-Bound Voyager

Is there going to be a way for mods to implement splicing or additions to base vanilla files without overriding eachother?

IE: the Celestial.config issues for all biome mods, we're simply adding a planet type to a bunch of lines on there, is there a way we could have a file that just orders it to load that information in addition to, so that multiple biome mods could simply say "add X to line Y of celestial.config".

17. Grogpole

Grogpole Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Any Chance we will be getting a Mod Creation Program?

PabloM and Theguru1020 like this.
  18. Circuitbomb

Circuitbomb Phantasmal Quasar

This. As well as the ability to serve up mods being used on a server to ease the installation process for people joining a modded server for the first time and updating when a server change is made.

19. LobsterClaws

LobsterClaws Space Hobo

Are you planning to introduce some sort of safety feature to the abovementioned system?
    If not, the introduction of this system would pose a massive risk for anyone choosing to play online.

20. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

It's called notepad++, and sometimes microsoft paint.

fabsen, LoPhatKao, BoJaN and 6 others like this.