WIP Making an NPC Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by sheetcakeghost, May 23, 2016.

1. sheetcakeghost

sheetcakeghost Weight of the Sky

Bit of a boring thing to show off, but thanks to AfrokingJ Antoine now has likes, dislikes, and a disposition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And, of course, he's always had things to say.
    [​IMG]

XaviiKinz and Alkanthe like this.
    • sheetcakeghost

[​IMG]
      Guess who has some more expressions?

So I'm getting to the point where I gotta wait for assets and coding planning and all that fun stuff. Which I really don't mind waiting. I could do with a little break anyway. d:

• sheetcakeghost

Tainted's talk of seasonal swapping got me thinking about the interior of the shop. If we manage to sort that out for interiors the shops can be decorated on the inside for holidays or we could have seasonal products that you can see on display.

[​IMG]
        For example, during the summer the counter could have that jiggling jelly on it and he could sell fresh fruity items. Though when it's fall he gives away free candy by the register. Etc.

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

SUPER CUTE. I CAN SO GET DOWN WITH INSIDE DECOR CHANGES ;___;

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Seasonal tilesheets in ALL are not bound to outdoor locations like seasonal tilesheets in stardew itself (Just like non-seasonal tilesheets are not bound to indoors)
            So you can easily make seasonal changes if you want, and ALL shops have seasonal conditions, so you can sell items based on the season :p

• asteriaex

asteriaex Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, amazing work. Can't wait to see it when it's finished! I've been wondering how to add new npcs as well :3

• Pecan Crisp

Pecan Crisp Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, uh, the for mods you linked in your original post? The last two link to the same topic (The Custom Shops link also leads to the Marriage mod thread). Is that intended, or was one of them meant to link somewhere else?

• sheetcakeghost

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

How's this going? :3 I've been following along and it seems really interesting. It'd be great to know what else you guys have found out.

Also, I've been working on a little project that involves adding a couple characters and things from the X-Files into the game. I mention this because I've edited the second room in the Saloon (the one that contained just a table and chairs) to instead contain two beds. In the X-Files version it's full of stuff (and tons of references), but here's a base version in case anyone adding a new NPC wanted an easy place to put them. c: Thought it might be useful for testing.

I posted it in the map-editing thread along with something else, but I wanted to offer it to you guys too.

Let me know if there are any issues.

[​IMG]

Sorry I forgot the carpet. x.x

Attached Files:

• sheetcakeghost

Thanks for sharing! The project isn't really moving forward right now. Mostly because I've moved on from this game to play another one and my job is getting in the way of figuring out this one's guts. It might pick up again in the future tho.

Alkanthe likes this.
                    • kamisamu

kamisamu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i hope you do come back to this! no pressure at all btw. i just thought you had beautifully thought-out ideas.

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

What else needed to be done? Maybe someone else can take up the reins.

• sheetcakeghost

Mostly someone to handle the coding parts (I'm waiting about for the folks that wanted to do this with me to get around to doing that coding) and some art assets that I could make myself but haven't felt up to.

• ZanaBarzanjee

ZanaBarzanjee Aquatic Astronaut

I hope you can make it done, it looked like a great mod!! But the choice is yours

• thingwithwings

thingwithwings Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure if anyone is still working on this, but it might be a whole lot easier with the new CustomNPC mod by Platonymous?
                              It takes away the need to create a new smapi mod for adding the npcs to the game...
                              I really hope somes picks up the work on this mod, it's beautiful!

• Platonymous

Platonymous Big Damn Hero

I hope so too. I could help with the implementation if needed.
                                The whole thing could now be done with two mods: CustomNPC (by me) for the main NPC, location & shop, and JSON Assets (by spacechase0, currently in beta afaik) for the custom items and recipes.

• sheetcakeghost

Ha ha, I'm not opposed to the idea. I honestly figured folks had forgotten all about this little NPC idea I tossed out here.

Unfortunately I've lost all the custom assets I made back when I started this, however, I can always salvage from the screencaps I shared and remake other things. (Unless someone else more artistically inclined is wanting to do things from scratch for me?) I don't mind banging out the script for the new NPC stuff, and I still recall how to do the map editing. I'd need to get the software installed again though. As for writing, I took a screencap of the fluff I wrote for him to say through the year, so really I just have to put together heart event scenes.

More than happy for the help, Platonymous. I'm a coding dunce for a lot of things, and I've also got a job that takes up a lot of my time. So I'm not sure how much bug testing and fixing I'd be able to get to done when it comes to maintaining this fellow. Because of that I don't know if I'll want to follow through on him selling custom items so using the second mod may not be necessary at all. It looks like your mod would handle everything else though. Does it let the NPC show up for festivals? If not I actually worked out a reason for him to not attend them in that he's visiting his mother during them (same one I was going to use for the original NPC). Something he would, apparently, continue to do after you're married. d:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
                                    Alkanthe likes this.
                                  • Platonymous

Platonymous Big Damn Hero

Yup, the mod covers festival placements.

• sheetcakeghost

Sweet deal! I've downloaded your mod and the Alec mod to get a better idea of what I need to toss together. When I've got something ready to test I'll probably make a new forum post dedicated to Antoine himself so that when he's "done" it can be moved to a completed mods folder. I'll also be putting him up on nexus when he's not in a beta state.

• sheetcakeghost

So I haven't been able to salvage the old art from the screencaps I took, so I'm just using this as an excuse to start from scratch.

[​IMG]

Here's my efforts on the newer version. I'm using Sam as a base.

JeStErHALLOW and thingwithwings like this.