WIP Making an NPC Mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by sheetcakeghost, May 23, 2016.

1. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Awww, he's got a little green bow.

sheetcakeghost likes this.
    • Cider

Cider Ketchup Robot

That area would be perfect for an Inn. You should totally do that!

XaviiKinz and sheetcakeghost like this.
      • sheetcakeghost

sheetcakeghost Weight of the Sky

Alright, I had a free moment so I evened out the square a bit. I also added a mine cart since ALL is able to let you have those take you to new areas.
        [​IMG]

Attached Files:

XaviiKinz, Alkanthe and foghorn like this.
        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Actually, until we move to FarmHand, the default minecart system cant be modified.
          (At least, it cant be done without replacing the minecarts with custom ones, since the "open minecart menu" is linked to the tileIndex for the minecarts, instead of using a tile action >_<)

• sheetcakeghost

Oh! I must have misread that then. Well no skin off my back. It unbalanced the map putting the cart there and honestly the town cart is close to where the entrance is going to be so it hardly matters. d: Thanks for telling me though!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Might I also suggest making the stones look a bit more randomised? Cause right now they look TO uniform, making it actually seem wrong...

sheetcakeghost and Alkanthe like this.
              • sheetcakeghost

Yeah I was thinking about that with the stones, but they're not entirely seamless tiles. So I'd need to randomize them in a particular way for it to look right.

I think I'll ditch the cobbles entirely and use some custom bricks.

Alkanthe likes this.
                • sheetcakeghost

[​IMG]
                  Okay, so I've made a brick path texture for the square. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I think the bricks might be too small.

taintedwheat likes this.
                  • taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

Kewlio stuffs n.n

Yeah maybe a little bigger could be better. another option could be make another brick a darker color.
                    Hmm, maybe another stone texture for the seat area around the fountain to break up the patterns...? H'omg landscaping/topiary all around.

I like thinking sdv is like the digital version of minatues, or polly pockets n.n

Alkanthe likes this.
                    • sheetcakeghost

Pfft, I can feel that.

I'm gonna try and use some of the brick flooring patterns from the walls and floors png for bigger bricks. Then I'll shake it up with more brick shades, yeah.

• sheetcakeghost

[​IMG]
                        Okay! Bigger bricks and I blended in some of the cobble stones around the fountain. It's now a nice relaxing place to sit outside. We'll need to add tables for places to eat, but I wanna do that when we have the buildings and carts put in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2016
                          XaviiKinz, Alkanthe and taintedwheat like this.
                        • taintedwheat

Awww yeah forsure!

This is great though!

Do you know what file the travelling lady is in? Def going to re texture that.

Lolol I would hella love to make a foodtruck out of pam's trailer /hella hip

Alkanthe likes this.
                          • sheetcakeghost

She's in the cursor sheet in the loose sprites folder.

Not all of the shops need to be food themed. I know that Advize wanted to sell the nightmare stuff. That could be a static shop sprite like the traveling sales woman is. A decently easy way for us to populate the square on the weekends without needing to make loads of extra NPCs with schedules and shit.

• taintedwheat

Oh i know thats true, but theyre so cool ;_;

Mkay, i have a good idea of how i want to set up in my head already, actually! I mean he tried making his store thru a basement in the adventurers guild and made a cute little set up in tide but didnt get it to work.

Ill probably ruff it out pretty quick w/o going too crazy and get his opinion thru steam or w/e

Food trucks on farmer market days then ;-;

sheetcakeghost likes this.
                              • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Good work, Although might I suggest maybe adding in more space, based on the average size of most buildings in stardew itself, the square is actually rather tiny once those are put in.
                                As it stands, you could maybe put 4 permanent buildings and max two travelling-cart style shops in there before the place becomes overcrowded.
                                Maybe think about designing the map to have a roomy feel to it, with space that other buildings can be added to in the future, without needing to modify the map itself.
                                The current square design could even be used as the center of the area, and the place where the "market stalls" are on market day?

• sheetcakeghost

Those are good points, Ento. Right now this is just a base for the map, not the whole map itself. Once I have the buildings made I'll have a better idea of the space I'll need to deal with. So don't worry, it'll be quite a bit more roomy after all the assets are done.

• zcsnightmare

zcsnightmare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Cute?"

More like super dooper evilish and stuff! >.>
                                    [​IMG]

Lookin' great, sheetcakeghost! Eager to see how this mod turns out.

taintedwheat likes this.
                                    • taintedwheat

We can totes do one building/area with two levels or three with basement. Next to that would be yer candy shoppe. And tables area next to that

I mean arts/furinture, weapon, hydrophonics and the like is a lot. Maybe my art pug can have the cart?
                                      Since yeah, we dont want it to be too busy with a farmers market too, but we also really want to make some interriors /some made. I think it can add to the composition of the overall map. Idk guess id use the hospital to be the size for it

• sheetcakeghost

Well, for the most part, I know we plan on there being one or two actual dedicated shop (with proper NPCs attached to them) while everything else is carts and stuff like that (it'll be cool if we could get Alex to sell his ice cream in there too, but that'd probably be a hassle to code over). If I add a mountainy cliff area at the top we could not only use it to expand the space without making the square part look totally abandoned, but we can include a cave which could let us have darker looking places like what zcsnightmare just showed us.

Something that might be cool to try and have for the future is to use a dynamic sheet for the static NPC vendors that would let players change sprite appearance from a default so they can "man the cart" in other people's games. Even providing a folder of their custom items they could include (mostly reskins of current custom items in the same fashion as letting them change the look of the NPC selling it.)

taintedwheat likes this.
                                        • taintedwheat

That would be a dream n.n