Making a comic. What cliches should I avoid?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuckyDuckyReturns!, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tbshirk

Tbshirk Void-Bound Voyager

I'd stay away from the "Calvin and Hobbes" pondering life at every given moment.

lemon flavoured likes this.
  2. theChillestThem

theChillestThem Master Chief

Avoid uncreative macguffin plots where possible, eg situations wherein the main character(s) need a nondescript, overly-hyped thing, and need to go on a journey or solve some sort of problem to get said thing. I mean, you can do it, but it's really hard to it in a way that isn't simultaneously boring and emotionally frustrating, so I'd try and hone your skills before you even think about resorting to it.

3. theChillestThem

theChillestThem Master Chief

I feel like same-gendered primary character romances are slowly becoming a cliche too. I mean, maybe not now, but it's happening in webcomics to the extent that their cliche-ness is just over the horizon. What I think is a rather novel idea is a situation wherein character a is really getting into character b, and character b really isn't feeling too into it. There are a lot of places you could go from there too; maybe they both come to accept each other and fall in love anyways, maybe character a finds someone else, and character b realizes they miss the attention and start to get jealous. There can be a lot more depth to it if you do it like that.

Toporonin and lemon flavoured like this.
  4. ReinaO3O

ReinaO3O Phantasmal Quasar

I moderate a forum full of people (mostly kids) creating some extremely cliched characters (teleportation, good with swords, parents died so they seek revenge etc.). Because of this in my opinion, cliches are okay as long as they are done right. As in, everything ties together and nothing is overly cringey or nonsensical.

Never likes this.
  5. Never

Never Pangalactic Porcupine

This. As long as everything makes sense in Universe and is written well, no one will care how cliche it is.

6. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Heliosphere

...Does it really matter?
    Just don't make your stuff extremely cringy. Put thought when you think of something. Everything you have done has the potential to have been done by someone else, and better.
    Instead, like others have said, try not to focus on your story being original, but rather on it's main strengths and uniqueness, regardless of cliches or not.
    I don't think anyone will care if you do the same thing like a billion movies have done before if it's good.
    Of course, you shouldn't ride on the back of popular stuff. Nearly every media that has ever existed takes inspiration from SOMETHING, even if it's literally super ancient stories. Just don't make a carbon copy of something. Don't make it too cringy either. We'll know if it's edgy or just dumb.

7. sirwoof

sirwoof Void-Bound Voyager

I think you should make a comic all about cliche. Call him, the "Cliche Man". Everyday, he runs into a cliche.
    Just make fun of a cliche and what makes it stupid but funny.

lemon flavoured likes this.
  8. Arthanen

Arthanen Void-Bound Voyager

The really edgy boring ass no bullshit character.

9. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Closed the topic because of the huge post gap between the 2 posts above.

@LuckyDuckyReturns! if you want it re-opened message me and I'll open it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.