1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Make your own Custom Pet Template [ For Modders \ Artists ] [PG]v2

Requires Purchaseable Pets as a Dependency!

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

xxswatelitexx submitted a new mod:

Make your own Custom Pet Template [ For Modders \ Artists ] - Requires Purchaseable Pets as a Dependency!

Read more about this mod...

2. JunosatoRyu

JunosatoRyu Pangalactic Porcupine

I made my own pet with the Squid I made for you just to test it out.

And it works~

[​IMG]

Yolic_Bro and The | Suit like this.
  3. Babelrap

Babelrap Subatomic Cosmonaut

So I came upon this awesome mod after I was already trying to make a pet (but failing magnificently :() I wanna use this to see if it would be better than what I have now but the spritesheet I made before for my pet has a little less frames than the one your template has (the crabby things).Do you know where i should adjust it to use my spritesheet? also I made some sounds for the pet but I don't know how to implement them, any idea how I do that? Thx for the template though! :up:

4. The | Suit

Well you have 2 options it matters how confident you are in what you are doing

Simplest solution is to unpack your resources and look for a pet which uses the same amount of frames as yours.
    You can find out how to unpack the assets in the modding guides sticky in the modding help sub forum
    It will be in the folder monster \ pets \ ( pet type ) \ parts

You will want to use that appropriate .frames file

Option #2 is to edit your frames file directly.
    Replace any frame you do not use with null - do not use double quotes

==
    Edit:
    Bare in mind the sprite sheet has to be the same size if you want to do the simple methods as above.
    Otherwise you will need to make your own custom frames file.

As for the sounds - unless the pet makes a sound already [ which I don't think it does ]
    You will need to have a basic understanding of lua to play the sound.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  5. Babelrap

So for instance if the walk frames are this:

Code:
    [ null, "walk.1", "walk.2", "walk.3", "walk.4", "walk.5", "walk.6", "walk.7", "walk.8" ],
    but my monster only has a 6 frame walk cycle, I should edit it to be this:

Code:
    [ null, "walk.1", "walk.2", "walk.3", "walk.4", "walk.5", "walk.6", null, null ],
    Did I get that right? :DD

6. The | Suit

Basically but keep in mind the order of the sprite sheet, the size of each frame, everything is important.
    As long as all the other parameters match - that should be more than enough.

7. Babelrap

Ok, I redid the frames so they should be good, but what does the dimensions stand for? I have a hunch it's related to the pet itself which is about 20x20 pixels ( it's literally a diamond ).

8. The | Suit

Code:
    {
      "frameGrid" : {
        "size" : [32, 32], <--- Individual Frame Size
        "dimensions" : [10, 6], <-- Number of columns ( 10 ) , number of rows ( 6 )

"names" : [
          [ null, "idle.1", null, "stand.1", null, "run.1", "run.2", "run.3", "run.4", "run.5" ],   <-- Each frame in a single row
          [ null, "blink.1", null, "jump.1", "jump.2", "jump.3", null, "fall.1", "fall.2" ],
          [ null, "walk.1", "walk.2", "walk.3", "walk.4", "walk.5", "invisible.1"],
          [ null, "eat.1", "eat.2", "eat.3", null, "inspect.1", "inspect.2", "inspect.3", "inspect.4" ],
          [ null, "swim.1", "swim.2", "swim.3", "swim.4", "swim.5", "swim.6", null, null ],
          [ null, "sound.1", "sound.2", "sound.3", "sound.4", null, "sleep.1" ]
        ]
      },
      "aliases" : {
        "eatloop.1" : "eat.2",
        "eatloop.2" : "eat.3"
      }
    }

9. Babelrap

Gotcha! now to see if this all works out. Thx again for the help! :up:

The | Suit likes this.
  10. Babelrap

So I tried it out and everything went over smoothly except ONE thing, the pet is completely invisible! :rofl: Any idea why that happened?

11. The | Suit

Check your starbound.log

Also just package the mod with your frames and I will have a look at it also when I am a bit free

12. Babelrap

For some reason it doesn't say anything about it in the log, anyway , here's the custom pet with the frames

Attached Files:

13. The | Suit

Dude..... You said you understood...
    You then put Dimensions 20 x 20.... :facepalm:

Your sprite sheet only has 9 columns and 6 rows... not 20 columns and 20 rows...
    Also if you want to use 9 x 6 you have to modify the animation file to the exact number of frames for each one.
    Here is a fixed up one.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  14. The | Suit

15. Babelrap

Whoooops...sorry! :oops: Yeah I guess i just assumed I understood, thx though for helping me make this work. I know that if I was just trying to make this without your template and advice, i'd be S.O.L.

16. epicness403

epicness403 Subatomic Cosmonaut

How could I make it so that both me and my friend can make our own pet and have them both compatible with each other

17. River King

River King Big Damn Hero

My Mudkip can happen! >~<

The | Suit likes this.
  18. JunosatoRyu

JunosatoRyu Pangalactic Porcupine

Make one each, install both mods along with the Purchasable pet mod, buy both.
    Happytimes!

I already saw a Torchic, so go ahead or ask an artist to make one for you.
    (I'll suggest at this point to add some variety to the Mudkips features like different fin lenghts or shades of blue just to make it more interesting~)

I'd help with concrete desgin ideas if you'd like.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    The | Suit likes this.
  19. epicness403

epicness403 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I made my custom pet with paint and in game it shows up with a white background how do I fix it

20. The | Suit

Remove the white. There should be no color background it has to be transparent.