Mob Make randomized mobs more common again?

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Wizzlbang, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Wizzlbang

Wizzlbang Star Wrangler

Don't get me wrong, I really love all the new creatures that are being made, but with them being more common than randomized mobs/monsters, its made planet biomes feel more samey.
    Like every single desert planet you visit, you know its gonna have the little flying fireball guys, little triangular electric foxes, etc. It's made planets of a specific biom feel even more like the same place over and over, rather than, you know, a different planet.
    Am I alone in feeling this way?

2. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

i miss it when you couldn't tell what was aggresive or not, it made sense
    now every mob is aggresive and gives away when they are gonna attack that takes away the element of surprize. i don't like it now it is now

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  3. rylasasin

rylasasin Cosmic Narwhal

Hear hear.

I feel like they went completely the wrong direction with this latest update to the creatures. I mean I get it, they spent quite a bit of effort in making and showcasing these things. But by doing this I can't help but feel like the devs have forgotten what exactly made Starbound so unique and special in the first place: the complete randomization.

Starbound isn't about fighting creatures. It's about exploration and randomness. By filling worlds full of of these generic baddies (and taking some of the more interesting biomes away, like Heck or the Tentacle world) and making everyone of them hostile, it's really taking that randomness away.

I know, the random monsters are still there, but ATM They are completely overshadowed by the generic monsters. Not to mention it seems they've completely overwridden the non-hostile monster system with the generic critter system.

The named monsters first of all shouldn't always be auto-hostile, and secondly should be very rare. Like only one type per planet and only appearing on rare occasions. This makes them more of a treat to encounter rather than deluding the random nature of the biome systems. Secondly, they should expand the monster hostilities so that they're hostile to players and each other based on a randomized diet and territorial criteria, rather than dumbing it down.

Devs: Embrace the random. Don't shun it.

4. Mango art

Mango art Starship Captain

Yeah! I remember the time my friend saw an adorable little bird, and told me to jump up and look at it. It was a pretty cute bird- and by that I mean a giant snake dragon thing that ate me in two hits! We couldn't stop laughing :rofl:...those were the days...

5. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Along with making unique mobs a treat, it would actually I've purpose and challenge to the whole "Pokemon" thing, as the mobs would be much rarer. And potentially stronger. The current issue is the fact that progression currently requires unique mob drops. So reducing the spawn rates would make that a bit difficult.

Also, infighting... That would be great...