Make Kent a marriage option

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Stardewdew, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Stardewdew

Stardewdew Space Hobo

I think making Kent an option to marry would be a good idea. He's the only one who's been in the military and I think he would be a great husband. It might complicate your relationship with Jodi but she is strong on her own ( dont need a man )

• _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

Unless they make it able for NPCs to date on their own, and then break up on their own, that's likely never going to happen.. You might be able to find a mod for it, or get someone to make it, but I doubt that CA would break up already married couples, or couples dating in general ( Marnie and Lewis, you can't even dance with Sebastian because he always picks Abigail ) , mostly when they have children together.
      It'd make it strange, in my opinion. I don't even know if we'll be able to set NPCs up with each other ( Clint and Emily deserve some love together ). I wish CA commented on suggestions to give us an idea of its out of the question completely, or if there's a chance.

• Mr.Mudkipss

Mr.Mudkipss Big Damn Hero

what do you mean? you can dance with sebastian at the flower festival.

• Stardewdew

Stardewdew Space Hobo

I love the game as is, but I think CA would do well to expand on the relationship game a bit more. Some added complexity would add a lot more depth and charm to the game. I know he wanted it to be a clone of harvest moon, but it has so much more potential to break the mold, even if it's separate expansion packs and not the core game. I reckon there are a lot of fans who would love some DLC.

• Baruch_S

Baruch_S Big Damn Hero

Whoa boy, that's a doozy. You'd get to play homewrecker with veteran suffering PTSD who is arguably old enough to be your dad (I'm assuming, since he has a kid old enough to marry). If that didn't turn Sam, Vincent, Jodi, and probably Caroline against you, I don't know what would.

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

To be fair, people have also been asking for Jodi as a marriage partner, so asking for Kent is fair game in my opinion. I wouldn't go after him (PTSD/Shellshock is no cakewalk for anyone involved), but considering the game already has a divorce option for the player, why shouldn't the NPCs get to use it? I mean, just because we are the farmer around the town doesn't mean we get any extra rights I guess.

• _PandorasBox_

I've always heard that he rejects you for Abigail, and it makes sense, since at the first festival he says he plans on asking someone else. I'm not entirely sure if that's still the case when you marry him, but that's what I heard.

And it is still pretty creepy. I don't understand why people want to marry Jodi either, both of them would likely be old enough to be your parent, and it'd make a lot of people hate you. And the farmer has access to magic, which only the Wizard has otherwise, and being able to erase the mind of their spouse is very different than actual divorce where it hurts nearly everyone involved. So, I'd say having the ability is fair for the farmer, but would you really want to ruin an entire family over it? >->

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Divorce isn't magic, it's filling out a form and dealing with the consequences. Granted, the mindwipe is (creepy) magic though.

As for the question if we want to ruin a family: Some people may just want to, maybe just to see what happens. I, personally, wouldn't go that route, mostly because Penny a cute.

• GreenWombat

GreenWombat Cosmic Narwhal

If you hit the four hearts necessary all of the spouses will accept your dance request simple as that. There is no variation to that.

• _PandorasBox_

The divorce is actual magic though, that's what I mean. If you don't want to be married, you go to a special shrine, I think? Something from the Witch, pay the fee, and magic wipes their memory. It's nothing like how an actual divorce would go and really, with how many young kids play the game, probably isn't a good thing to add. It's one thing to turn kids into Doves and wipe memories, but it's another to show some of the hardship that goes into it while they break apart a marriage.
                      I think it's not needed, but eh, my opinion. I won't be going for him or Jodi even if they're added.

• GreenWombat

No divorce in the game isn't magic. It's done by going to Lewis' house and paying a fee. The next day your spouse will be moved out and will have dialogue reflecting the divorce (the kids will stay with you). The memory wipe is a separate aspect that you can choose to do if you wish which will reset your previous spouse as though the marriage had never happened to begin with.

• _PandorasBox_

Then that's an incredibly new feature, because I've been reading up on Stardew and watching other people play it, and not once does that ever appear in anything.

• GreenWombat

It was the default divorce method that was added with 1.1 when divorce was added to the game.

• Lolitalena

Lolitalena Void-Bound Voyager

I also would like Kent as a marriage option and i think it would be a cool idea (as mentioned by a few other people) to overhaul the dialouge of the NPCs in general. Im currently playing with SVE and think it would be cool if as a friend you could acutually help Marnie/Lewis, Clint/Emily get together or help with Piere/Caroline or Jodi/Kents marriage somehow. Or possibly like with LFL mod break them up all together. Sadly Looking for love isn't completely compatible with a number of other mods including stardew valley expanded and only adds a select few NPCs to the dating game. :/
                              Also sadly Im not good enough with computers to do anything myself concerning modding. :(
                              SVE already adds to the canon and characters even without the new ones, but I think I would really like more depth and descision with the original townspeople even more than New areas and NPCs ( although I am excited about that) :)

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i know it is a tangent and i don't really have anything to add to the convo since i am happy with harvey but if i may;
                                not every player is in their teens/20's. kent is about my husband's age and frankly he is a lot more appropriate(age-wise) for someone like me then his kid is and i doubt i am alone. having his age be a factor in why he shouldn't be married only reflects on you not any of us