Make every races unique

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Lichen, Apr 8, 2016.

?

What do you think of that

1. All races should be unique

46 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. All races should be equal

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wouldn't give bonuses in any way directly related to damage our damage resistance. Probably the closest I'd think of considering would be something like giving a novakid a slight accuracy bonus when using guns.

Apex are supposed to be sciencey, I'd make a bonus related to that, like increased duration when using stims.

Giving avians Lee's fall damage makes me think that's why their sacrificial towers have to be made so high. I made a tower like that one in dwarf fortress. At the start year, I'd take some kind of animal, or an orc if I had one, and I'd take them to the top of the tower and drop them off. I'd consider where the gibs landed, and how far they flew from the point of impact as some sort of Armok fortune telling method for that year.

2. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

Despite of them refusing to give passive abilities, the least they can do is makes these foods exclusive to certain race.

3. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

I've given it some more thought, and if we wanted to add racial bonuses, then we'd have to re-do the hazard system. Instead of having "Hot", "Cold", "Poisonous", we would need to have like "Hot I" "Hot II" "Hot III" etc up to V, same with every other one.
    Humans, by default, should be able to handle Hot and Cold up to II while wearing regular clothes, up to IV if they wear the warm clothes, and V would require the tech you wear on your back.
    Humans - Hot&Cold III. IV with winter clothes.
    Hylotl - Hot&Cold&Poisonous I, can swim in poisonous water without any effects. Oxygen III
    Floran - Cold III. Poisonous III. Oxygen I
    Glitch - Cold I. Poisonous IV. Oxygen III
    Novakid - Hot V. Poisonous I.
    Apex - Hot&Cold II. III with winter clothes. Poisonous I.
    Avian - Hot III, Cold I, Poisonous II

Now the back tech. Now that we have tiers that people could handle, we could have a modular back piece where you select bonuses. For example, on Poisonous V planet, a Floran would need only 1 tier of poisonous protection, and could put everything else on, for example, bonus damage. A human would have to put 5 levels of poisonous protection on it.
    The hazards could stack, for example one planet having Hot III, Poisonous IV. An avian would have to need 2 tiers of hot, 3 tiers of poisonous protection.
    The back piece could have about 10 slots where you can put stuff, meaning you could technically visit all planets, but if you go to a planet you're more protected from you'll need less hazard protection and can put more into defense/offense.

What do you think? Too much of a stretch? Nice system? Would make planets more varied, and you'd have to prepare for every higher tier planet by putting the right modular pieces on your back piece. No more "I have latest tech, I'm now invincible".

4. WolfWave

WolfWave Big Damn Hero

urnott balance shshsauybyutge. I'm not saying those exact things or anywhere near them, just that type of idea.

5. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I kinda like the idea of planets having a bias towards some races as far as unique bonus traits. It's not a bad idea. However, your rates are quite off, I think. Humans with a higher temperature tolerance than Apex?!?
    You do know where monkeys live, right? They are much more tolerant of the natural elements than we are, for we need more protective gear than any other creature on this planet....

But the idea is an interesting one. And the modular system is already in nightly to do it too...

6. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

All of this is a great idea,I should some this to the suggestion

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  7. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

WHAT THE **** Did my thread just got deleted[​IMG]

8. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

No, it got moved from Discussion to the Mechanics subforum of Suggestions.

9. Lichen

Lichen Big Damn Hero

Well ,It is time to rail out this place

10. Bulomenos

Bulomenos Space Hobo

Well, as a guy new to the forum i nearly would have posted a thread for this issue, well, since i found this one, even if its a bit late, here you go :
    Greetings. First of all: I love the Game and all the nice things in it. - So nice Job. ;)

Iam the kind of player who likes his lore behind the game, therefore i really liked the existance of the kodizes ingame, wich give a sort of orientation how the races live and interact with each other.
    Because of that i played a Hylotyl, because i liked their Lore and Character the most, and i loved the architecture of the feudal Japan. ;)

Human - 25% increase on pixeldrops from tenants, 15% higher pixeldrops through kills, slightly higher chance to find
    rare stuff in chests, alternativly maybe the skill to have three crewmembers in your party, since they seem to be like some intergalactic
    respected, charismatic order
    Apex - 15% higher Shipspeed, 15% reduced fuelconsumption while warpjumping, 7% flat dmg increase on Snipers, Pistols and Shotguns (because on the
    one hand they are kinda militaristic and on the other hand i can imagine that all this science stuff going on at the apex-labs could
    be used for som weapon engeneering ;-) )
    Avian - 10-20% higher default Jump hight, slightly lower falldmg
    Floran - 7% Flat Dmg Increase on melee, hunting weapons, and bows(Kinda like with an augmented EPP); 15% higher repletion from meatoriented meals
    Glitch - 25-30% Resistance to Poison dmg, 10% Resistance to Normal dmg, 10% more dmg from Electric sources
    Hylotyl - 20-30% faster horizontal swimspeed and/or clearer vision underwater (if iam right there is even a kodex
    ingame stating, that one outcome of the hylotyl-evolution was better vision underwater ;-)), Faster Bow-
    drawspeed (Since the Bows are (apart from the solus katana and the kunai) the only weapons reminding of
    feudal japan)
    Novakids - 10% less dmg from fire sources + a little glow from the body, maybe not as strong as the Equipable back-
    lights; Thighter pelletspread for Pistols, shotguns,and similar bulletweapons

Well - i read the stuff above. And i would agree, that those ideas would not be perfectly balanced in every situation. But i would ask - is this neccessaryly a bad thing? I mean, with the stats above, Hylotyl, Avian and Humans would propably be the worst PVP'lers, but that wouldnd stop me from enjoying Hylotyl or Avians. I thought about it like the Time i had, playing Dark Souls 1. In this Game are very many Skillpossibilitys: You can go full Min-max-PVP, you can do stuff you like (for example a ornstein-rp), you can go a supportive-coop-way, or you could just skill for mobbing and play the game dingleplayer until NG+X.
    Therefore if you got invaded while playing a Supportive-skilled miraclecaster you got (mostly likly) owned by the PvP-centered guy, attacking you. But was the Supportive way bad? - I dont think so. - Simly different strokes for different folks...
    In the same way i would enjoy having slightly different races, even if that would mean, that for a high lvl-PVP-situations my main char would be slightly underpowered. - And - as someone stated before - it could even enhance the replayablity, like one for building/exploring, one for PVP, one for koop, and so on.

At last but not least: if the topic is closed - my apologys. But i did'nt found a definitive statement by the devs, telling us that the discussed things will definitly never come, so i gave it a try ;) .

(Aah and sry for my propably butchering use of the english language ;) )

11. Bersalius

Bersalius Phantasmal Quasar

Yes we need to change the actual state of the races to generate some diversity and replayability. But for now, just give me back my RACE WEAPONS! There should have normal weapons AND race weapons along. So I can be human and have axes, and at the same time spears and guns, but they won't be as good as the race exclusive ones. Then what? I trade.

12. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

This again? Honestly, I'm not sure about the idea of any race being too special. Starbound is typically driven by it aesthetics and I think it'd be a shame if people ended up basing their race selection on gameplay benefits. Most of these propositions would greatly skew gameplay balance in general. And I'm totally not parroting a dev on this one, nope.

One variant of this that could work well is giving races damage resistances and weakness, not unlike those used by unique monsters. But aside from obvious stuff, like Hylotl having 50% resistance to ice damage, Florans being weak to fire and Glitch taking more electric damage... Well, those are all ideas I had, actually.

When it comes to weapons however, I find that both the old craftable racial weapons and the current procedurally generated weapons are incredibly boring and samey, both in name and appearance. Some sort of more distinct, themed weapons, not unlike old Avian blasters, would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2017
    Jerln, Ainzoal and STCW262 like this.
  13. Bersalius

Bersalius Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah! We need GOOD race weapons! I already like the armor sets, they are unique (even that the stats are the same), but it would be cool to add a variation to each race, like MEELE armor and RANGED armor. With that and the weapons I would replay the entire game like 8 or more times...