Make "Death" less punishing

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by gonarr, Mar 6, 2016.

1. gonarr

gonarr Void-Bound Voyager

Hewwo there.

Fainting in a dungeon equals losing 50% of what you have with you, not only do you lose a huge percentage of money but also you might just lose many valuable items that are very hard to acquire.

If I do faint in a dungeon its always followed by ALT + F4 and a reset of the day, because the huge punishment you get just makes me sad.

So if we could lose less money and maybe only specific items (Monster loot, Consumables) that'd be great!

Thank you for reading. :proper:

izzy82, Nialla, Lumina and 3 others like this.
    • Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

It is surprisingly punishing for a game like this. I died in the mines when I first started the game, thinking the penalty wouldn't be that big a deal but NO. I lost like 10-12 items not counting tools, and forgot 11 floors of the mine including checkpoints.
      I can't imagine dying now, losing my sword that costs 25,000g, among other things. It is a stark contrast to fainting from lack of sleep at 2:00 A.M., where you just lose a flat 1000g. I definitely agree with you and say that it is unbalanced, to put it lightly.
      It makes some sense on paper losing all of that stuff, but it just doesn't fit with this light-hearted game imo.

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

I think it SHOULD be punishing, but not in the sense of losing irreplaceable stuff...

I DO like the sense of dread of trying to push further down and risking death, but I don't like that if I go wrong I might lose even quest items, it should maybe completely wipe out your money, and maybe even kill a day or two (like the penalty for overexaustion and disease on some HM games, where you character is forced to stay in bed until the health is better, leaving the farm completely neglected), but stuff "lost" that way can still be recovered eventually.

• Edge!

Edge! Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe you could lose anything you found on the dungeon and 20% of your gold?

• lolyeahgames

lolyeahgames Void-Bound Voyager

I've died probably twice in total, and both times I just closed the game out and restarted. I think if CA wants to have a hard stance on death, he should enforce it. Such as, maybe the game should immediately save when you die.

marc e likes this.
            • Polraudio

Polraudio Void-Bound Voyager

Its hard to die in the game. I havent died once and i spend most of my time mining. IMO you should get a game over and have to reload your game when you die. Games now days are way to simple and hold your hand.

• Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

This. I'm guilty of save-scumming just like anyone else, especially when my Galaxy sword is taken away, but it feels like cheating. You died, you lost, accept the consequences of not being cautious. This is especially true in the skull cave; you do NOT go in there expecting a cake walk like the regular mine.

On one hand, I'd like it because it's the right kind of punishing; don't be in a rush and enter when you are properly prepared. On the other hand, the only valuable thing you can lose is your weapon, and boy is that valuable. Making it less punishing just opens the opportunity to just die in the cave to get out of there quicker than running home.

lolyeahgames likes this.
                • Edge!

That's why I'm suggesting to lose any loot found (gold included, if you can find gold while in a dungeon, that is) while on the dungeon and 20% G or more(that you had before entering the dungeon).
                  Maybe losing a day or two in the hospital as well and automatically save on death, so people can't avoid losing gold and days.

• Budzilla

Budzilla Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't see an issue with it. Just plan carefully, and you won't have an issue. If anything he should have it coded to save as soon as you die, so you can't just alt-f4 to restart the day.

Reaktor likes this.
                    • Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

There are some people who have millions of gold. Even 20% of 100,000 is still 20,000, which is way too much to lose for a game like this. Definitely sticking to my guns on this one. Losing loot you acquired in the mine during that run is ok by me. But the weapons can get pretty expensive. You want harsh penalties for death I get it but it seems way too off base compared to penalties for collapsing from fatigue or lack of sleep. A loss of a day or two would be acceptable to me. But I've never played a Harvest Moon or Rune Factory game with near the same penalties from death.
                      I lost a stack of bait when I died. That tells me that a stack of valuable items (which can stack to 999), has the potential to vanish.
                      The penalties are so unusually high in this game that they should come with a flashing sign before you enter the cave for the first time that requires your written consent in blood.
                      You really have to have some bad luck and lack of planning to actually die in this game, but stuff happens.

I am no stranger to difficult games, make no mistake. I often play on the hardest difficulties on some of my favorites. But the potential penalties like this simply do not belong in games like Harvest Moon.
                      The key words here are potential loss.

I don't even-- are you serious? The cash stack from your ENTIRE PLAYTHROUGH? Potentially dozens or hundreds of hours worth of gold?!
                      You should be very experienced that far in the game obviously but it is not impossible to die.

• Edge!

No problem, you could lose less gold(or no gold at all). I didn't even start my gameplay yet(I don't even know if you can get raw gold on dungeons) so I put up a random amount of gold lost.

• Pururin

Pururin Space Spelunker

I felt frustrated when something goes wrong and make me died.
                          100% will end up restart my day over again because my weapon went pfft in the air.

Maybe make combat skill to help or give chance to decrease amount of lose item when player die?
                          Day skip because have to recovery in bed is acceptable.

I'm a fan of roguelike game but I'm not gonna enjoy big penalties in this kind of game.
                          Actually maybe they should add difficulty when start new game to make us choose either to have penalties or not.

Yusuke Urameshi likes this.
                          • Kit Ballard

Kit Ballard Tentacle Wrangler

I'm on the boat for "Drop what you looted that run". I lost pretty much my whole inventory one run. Luckily my sword stayed, but lost everything else that was pretty much what I wanted to keep, even stuff that was from before I entered the mine. I'm also for "Loose days from recovery".

• Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

I'd like to note that losing in this game as actually harsher than a game over from what I seen in Rune Factory because you not only lose the time spent on the day, you lose a LOT more and is saved. I personally haven't died yet (came close with one hit away but I manage to run away before the slimes could finish me) but I would prefer not to find out how much could I potentially lose if it scales with your current worth...

• Budzilla

Too many people want this to be way too easy. If ConcernedApe plans on changing anything, PLEASE add a difficulty option. I don't want to play on carebear mode.

Ainzoal and Reaktor like this.
                                • OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

I only suggested an alternative way for the current death penalty because the current way can (if you are unlucky enough) completely ruin your save (example: wiping out important items that you forgot in your inventory, like the items needed for dating and marriage).

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                                  • Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I didn't find death all that punishing. I've seen worse in other game, but of course those are older games and usually if a newer one mainly a roguelike or similar.

The one thing I didn't like was when you didn't have access to the guild store and you lost your sword. I believe that has been fixed with one of the patches, so now at least when starting out before the completion of guild quest one will still have such; don't know for sure, as i don't feel like starting over till I have run through my current game to a certain point.

For me; wealth, ores, items, and the like can be gained again. One should be taking heed to their health bar in the mines anyhow. Well the way I look at it. I don't bring anything but the necessary tools I will be using when mining. That is forward planning on my part. To have something of value on you that you have gained before the current run; minus a tool that you are using, seems like it should be put in chest before entering. For those just in case something happens.

If it was to be done like Harvest Moon... That really is not much of punishment, if one at all. Loss of days in an endless game is not really punish, as you basically can pick up where you left off; however only crops would be the punishment, which is minor since you can always get more. Money is easy to achieve, and ore and the like can be gained again. So not much loss.

Having a portion of money and ore is good for a loss. Having any item is fine by me, but seems quite a few people want to not worry about health and just gung ho it through the mines. Sure there are instances in which making it back to ladder in time before dying of the assault happens. Happened on the second time I have ever died in the mines. Those pesky flies or what ever they are. I lost a chunk of stuff that I have gained, but was not too worried since I know I can gain it again.

For me the system in place makes it quite a sense of adventure, but I guess some don't like that type of adventure on that level. I like what it is, and gladly not have to reload.

Note my first time dying was what I mentioned about the sword not being obtainable from guild due to in progress of joining it. Still don't know if that was fixed, and might when I do another playthrough, but from the notes it seems like it was. That is my stance on this.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
                                    • Driguer

Driguer Void-Bound Voyager

You guys, stop crying like a baby. Just go and buy some food and supplies, "but i don't have money" in spring and fall you can get so much berries, in one day you can take like 60 berries. The game is already easy, and you guys want to be more easier? "The Skull Cave is so hard", just go and buy a better sword, some bombs, mining candy, and a some Elixir Potion with the dwarf. "I am going to die and i don't have more food", just go in the stair and run, is not that hard.

AdmiralCatbuns, Budzilla and Tamorr like this.
                                      • Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

I think a lot of people here are from communities that favor harvest moon or rune factory, not so much from ADOM or Dwarf Fortress where losing is !!FUN!! (I play Cataclysm DDA so I am one of the rogue-like players).

From what I hear in both side, I think a solution is needed that you are highly encourage to not die in the mines but not harsh enough that it permanently ruins your save, essentially a harsh temorary setback. The first thing that comes into mind that not only do you lose the entire day (and maybe the next as a "kick me" bonus) but you also have 1 day where you can only walk, not run, to recover. Since time is money and there are plenty of people that really long for movement speed, I think it is a fairly suitable punishment.

Kit Ballard and Tamorr like this.
                                        • Budzilla

I guess I can see where you guys are coming from about the fact you can lose things that are vital to continue, those should obviously stay, but other than that I think the death mechanics should stay as is.

Tamorr likes this.