1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Major lag when attempting to play

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Bandus, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Klffsj

Klffsj Space Hobo

I agree, but I have a bad feeling they're going to want to fix the small bugs first.

2. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

Have you seen anything from Chucklefish that indicates they are still working on optimization?

3. ojkaleidoscope

ojkaleidoscope Space Hobo

I'm having the very same issue as you OP! :cry:
    I could run SB perfectly fine with 0 issues/no lag until the most recent update. Which is a shame because it's getting SO COOL.

LemonLeman likes this.
  4. AxisOneGaming

AxisOneGaming Yeah, You!

I'm having this issue as well. Tends to happen most during missions and on highly populated planets. Resolution doesn't seem to affect the issue, and I've tried all the different 'fixes'.

2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

5. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

To maintain clarity, the issue we are seeing doesn't happen during a mission or when there are a lot of NPCs present. It is happening immediately after character creation. If we push through the graduation ceremony, it is still just as laggy on the ship with no NPCs present.

6. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

I would appreciate some level of acknowledgement from the dev team, a moderator, or other representative either that I will receive assistance with an issue which renders the game unplayable or at least that they are still actively working on optimization. Thanks!

intrepid-explorer likes this.
  7. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

That starbound currently has issues with onboard intel hd graphics is already acknowledged by the devs and they're also currently working on an update which include fixes (i don't know if there will be some for the intel issue though). I'm on an i7 and using an ASUS Geforce GTX 750 Ti and the game's running fine for me (around 40-50 fps at the outpost). Maybe it's related to the intel issue or your chip simply isn't capable of running starbound. It's hard to say in this case because this chip is around 5 or 6(?) years old.
    With release of starbound a lot of things had changed and starbound now has a higher performance requirement on your machine. How much cpu usage do you have when playing starbound? If you have the possibility to lookup following info: how much is the intel hd chip used?
    My gpu usage on the ship (tier 1) is around 9% and on planets up to 30% when there is no weather effect running. My cpu is around 23-27% (mostly capped on 25%)

~ Iris ~

8. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

I appreciate the reply, thank you!

Are you able to provide a link to where it has been stated that the issue is acknowledged and that they are working on updates which will include fixes for it?

CPU usage when playing Starbound is around 20% or so. I'm not entirely sure how to check the GPU usage.

9. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Well there is no link where it is stated. But i know that mollygos is nearly every day reading the reports in the support forums. Even Tiy and the rest of the team are randomly here to read the topics about the issues.
    But they can't answer on every topic. This would be too time consuming and would only delay the updates by an unreasonable amount of time.

~ Iris ~

10. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

Indeed, I can appreciate that it would be unreasonable for the dev team to reply to each individual topic. However, at this stage no one has been able to actually cite a source indicating the developers are aware of the issues or a source indicating that an update is being worked on to address the issues.

Frustration is mounting since we can find no indication the issues are being acknowledged and there appears to be no official support avenue other than these forums.

11. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

I still would greatly appreciate some level of acknowledgement from the devs that this issue is known and will be worked on. Thanks!

12. ADaks

ADaks 2.7182818284590...

We managed to "fix" ours by forcing a driver update on the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and running it from the folder instead of through steam.

13. dwuff

dwuff Phantasmal Quasar

I'm also getting huge lag issues :( The lag was quite bad before it came out of beta. Initially the performance was improved (improved, not solved) by the update but that didn't last long. I'm able to run very demanding games (like Witcher 3 etc) on my machine just fine, so I'm confused as to why this game would be lagging. I think the lag REALLY started getting bad when I started encountering colonies and accepting quests from them. Now, I can hardly move when there are multiple NPCs on my screen, and the lag comes and goes even when there aren't NPCs, to the point where it's almost unplayable (map takes 5-10ish seconds to load, creatures freeze mid air, game sometimes crashes). I'm so sad because I was enjoying the release so much and I want to build a huge colony, but I just can't enjoy building at the moment because I can hardly move around the screen. I really hope they fix this ASAP! Devs please have mercy :nurusad:

Edit: To clarify, the lag exists whether I have active NPC quests or not. The list can be completely clear and I still have lag issues.