1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Major lag when attempting to play

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Bandus, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

Greetings! A fellow Starbounder is attempting to play, however, from the moment they launch the game it runs extremely laggy to the point of being unplayable. Before the 1.0 release, they were able to play Starbound on the same system with no problem.

The issue happens regardless of single play or multiplayer mode. I have done research on the issue and have tried everything from changing compatibility mode on the file, getting rid of registry keys, verifying file integrity on Steam, entirely deleting the Starbound folder and reinstalling, and updating video drivers with no effect.

I'm at a loss for what else to try. The system is a Dell N5110. Specs are:

Intel Core i3-2330M 2.2GHz
    6 GB RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel HD Graphics card

I would appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions or ideas I might try. Thank you!

EgoLeo likes this.
  2. ADaks

ADaks 2.7182818284590...

A lot of people seem to be having this issue. We're hoping to get attention from the devs for it.
    Might be an Intel HD Graphics problem from what we can tell.

3. Zaflis

Zaflis Pangalactic Porcupine

4. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

I certainly appreciate that it isn't the strongest graphics card out there. However, before 1.0 the game played fine on the same system. The difference in performance between 1.0 and the version prior is significant.

LemonLeman likes this.
  5. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Kill NPCs or do x64 OpenGL it worked for meh.

6. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

I appreciate the suggestion. However, the lag starts from the moment the character enters the game. There are no NPCs around at all.

With regard to OpenGL, how would one launch Starbound in OpenGL mode? It used to be on the launcher however that seems to no longer be a thing.

7. NeoslayerX

NeoslayerX Big Damn Hero

Oh, I'm on :poke:Glad Giraffe.
    I get an error when trying :mad:cheerful.

8. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Game runs in OpenGL by default now

9. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

Is there a way to make it run in DirectX? Perhaps that is part of the issue.

10. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nope & Nope

11. Hekkaryk

Hekkaryk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My game lag too - at the beggining everything is fine, but after ~15 minutes everything is slowed down and Task manager shows that game uses ~1,2GB of RAM.
    Last time I played there was no such problems - but I obviously love update ^^"

Specs:
    Lenovo G580 (Laptop)
    Windows 10 64bit
    8GB RAM
    Intel(R) HD 4000 / NVIDIA GeForce 610M

12. Klffsj

Klffsj Space Hobo

I've been having a similar problem. I didn't play the game until after version 1.0, but after playing the game for probably about 10 hours, it started lagging horribly. In fact, I was impressed with how well it ran when I first played it. The lag consists of horrible lag spikes and freezing a lot. Checking Task Manager, it utilizes about 1 GB of RAM at this time and Disk usage is at or very near 100% the entire time; I suspect this is the culprit. Currently, I have no thoughts on how to fix it but simply this report of the problem and hopes of a fix in the next stable patch.

System Specs:
    Inspiron 7348 (Laptop)
    Windows 10 64-bit Home Edition build 10586.494
    Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20 GHz
    4.00 GB RAM

13. Juizy_j

Juizy_j Mop

I have looked around a bit on the internet (I have a huge lagging problem, when playing on dedicated server with friends in the same country) and it seems that its a big problem for many players and I have not yet found a answer from developers or anything like that.

Have you found anything?

LemonLeman likes this.
  14. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

I've also got an Intel graphics card and am experiencing The Laggening.
    This computer's old, but it's not terrible, and it ran all the previous builds with a pretty solid, constant 40FPS. Now I'm lucky if I get 5 FPS on my ship or 30FPS planetside.

15. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

No, I still have not found a solution nor have I found any sort of acknowledgment from the dev team that it is something they are aware of.

16. Stormchild

Stormchild Master Chief

I have a similar issue but it is not constant lag. It happens by burst... I can have 10-15 mins smooth, and suddenly all the monsters/npc freeze and I dont do damage or break anything anymore, then after some seconds, everything catches up super fast. Really like a proper "lag", even if I play solo. This is a different thing than the generally FPS drops that I can feel a bit in some areas.

17. Kitler

Kitler Void-Bound Voyager

I used to lag immensely until I turned off fullscreen and minimized Starbound's window. Strangely it worked and I jumped up to 30-60 FPS depending on which planet I am on.

For some reason it lags at its most if I have it on fullscreen or have a big window of it. Strange that I can run Stardew Valley at a stable 70 FPS fullscreen but not Starbound. It shouldn't be that demanding.

18. Bandus

Bandus Big Damn Hero

I appreciate the info. I tried changing it from full screen to windowed mode. Unfortunately, it had no effect.

Klffsj likes this.
  19. Klffsj

Klffsj Space Hobo

That's odd. The lag doesn't seem to change for me when I change window size. I typically play windowed fullscreen, but when I shrinked the window size, I there didn't seem to be any performance gain. Also, the game seems to run slightly better on the ship than on planet, which makes sense since the game shouldn't have to load as much data. Either way, there seems to possibly be multiple causes of this lag, as it acts differently for different people.

Edit:
    Didn't see Bandus's post. It was posted while I was typing.

20. Kitler

Kitler Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, multiple people have different solutions to solving lag such as tampering in the config. (I did tamper with the config aswell. Maybe the windowed mode helps boost the settings I have on for some reason. I don't got the slightest clue as I'm no tech person.) I think the reasons it happens to me specifically is that it requires more resources to load and view, with of course the forest background layers making it a complete lagfest. Rain/meteor shower/snowing doesn't make it any better too.

I have no problems with any of the features, right now I think Starbound's top priority is to get properly optimized if any would even be able to play at all.

LemonLeman likes this.