RELEASED Madeline's Recolors: Farmhouses, Barns, Coops, & More [Updated 10/23 - GREENHOUSE MATCHES!] for V1.1

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by madelinealex, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Raspberry Lemonade

Raspberry Lemonade Void-Bound Voyager

Love the spring recolors!X3<3

madelinealex likes this.
    • madelinealex

madelinealex Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks you guys :) Glad you like them! <3

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

I just gotta say, thanks for letting me know about this program! I was totally inspired to release a furniture set since I'm digging your cute house layout already and needed some inside items to match n__n

you're right though, dude, so much easier. Crazy how much zoom this has fwahppp

• madelinealex

Is it not excellent?! Totally worth the $15! I can do a house recolor so quickly now with the color replacements! Clicking the scroll button to move the whole picture feels natural, the shortcuts make sense, you can load palettes based on other documents (which I usually make a palette "template" with all my colors and load it up when I'm recoloring), it's amazing. I would definitely watch a tips video on youtube; I found out a lot of tricks through the videos I watched. Glad you like it so much! I saw your furniture, it looks awesome! :) Thank you!

taintedwheat likes this.
          • taintedwheat

I should watch some tutorials, stuff like this is easier with visuals, especially now since my dog is used as an example in one of them xD

I'm totally near the end of the game, so making customizations is like one of the most satisfying part right now until there's the update for the multiplayer.

• madelinealex

See, I've been trying to take it slow with the actual game so that it doesn't lose it's shine to me. But considering the amount of hours that I've played The Sims, various Harvest Moon games, and Skyrim, I have a feeling that I have maaaaany more hours to get out of the game, haha. Regarding specific tips, do you know how to replace colors with another yet? That's definitely the most useful tool IMO.

• taintedwheat

I have, kinda, idk I'm not used to it yet so I forget (I don't like how it doesn't make it easy to use the dropper and pick the color you want to replace -- I need to remember to copy and paste the hex or RGB or whatever, but hex is the easiest for me).

So far I have been a sort of try (for a long time) then error, then discovery, then it's kinda regret but still a learning experience bawahaha
                /sad

I've never played Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing, Skyrim, and the Sims only when I was younger.
                Only things similar
                Monster Rancher, Persona 3/4, several indie management type games, stupid facebook flashgames, idk, but once I saw my husband get it and saw that there was a dog, marriage, multiplayer, not scary, I was like omg, ok, yes

• madelinealex

What I do is create a paint file with all the colors I've selected in paint because the color picking system feels more natural to me in paint. Anyway, I upload that palette and then use shortcuts to quickly change the colors. Hit "i", left click the color on the roof/siding/whatever that you want to change, and then right click the color in your palette that you want to change it to. I then hit "e" to switch to the eraser tool. I make the brush size 48 px, the largest it can go. Then you right click and hold down the mouse button as you pass over the parts of the picture with the color that you want to change, and voila! I can do all of the farm building recolors in under an hour now. One thing that helped me a lot was taking the time to match up the colors on each version of the house. By that I mean that I made sure the lightest color on the base house's roof was the lightest color on the 2nd & 3rd upgrade roofs, and so on for the siding. That way I don't have a bunch of different colors on every house and it makes my life easier and the recolors are more consistent with each other in the way that they look. I also always edit off of my most recent recolor, since I may find small pixel mistakes from before that I can later correct. So far I haven't found anything huge, I just find that it's easier that way than editing the original .png every time. I hope I didn't make this sound too confusing!

Attached Files:

taintedwheat likes this.
                  • taintedwheat

dude. paint is the best ms program by far, ever, hands down shupdawoop

But dude! Yeah that makes a lot of sense! I usually do a palette thing like that if I'm digitally /traditionally painting/drawing/whatever color coordinating too, it make things easier. Idk for some reason it did not transition over for to this for me. Maybe because I'm working on pre-existing sprites and not my own stuff [used to having a bunch of room, not a bunch of room with hella other shit on it]

• madelinealex

Yeah, I get what you mean. Not having a working canvas is a little bit irritating at times!

• taintedwheat

are you going to make the slime hutch match up with any of your sets?

• madelinealex

At some point! I really don't like the water/slime dispensers in front, so I want to make a version with and without those. I was thinking about trying to retexture the hutch to look less like a fortress. I'll probably work on that after I finish my season inspired sets. I'm halfway finished with summer and then I've only got winter to go, so it shouldn't be too far in the future.

• taintedwheat

yeah, me neither. I agree something like that would probably add a lot more subtly than it originally has now. Dude, it'd be sick if there was some way besides physically changing the files per season to match up with your sets when the respective season rolls around in-game.

• taintedwheat

Hihi Madeline, hone you're good, I have a slight request -- could you possibly color the greenhouse for the spring set? Like make it the same green as the door/singing stone?

• madelinealex

Sure thing! I can't tonight but as soon as I can I will :)

• taintedwheat

no worries, no rush :3

thank youuu c:

• arrrtsay

arrrtsay Poptop Tamer

wow amazing!!!

• Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

I love your design with the flowers. Could you make a purple set with all the building, all three coops and barns. Could you make a slime hutch that is kind of like SlushieSlowpoke's on nexusmods but in purple too? I love your building and my favorit color is purple. Will you help me make my purple farm a reality.
                                      111-0-1458251014.png

• potatochair

potatochair Void-Bound Voyager

i love these recolors, thank you!! i picked tan and navy for now (it's gorgeous) :>

• Koutetsu

Koutetsu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love the tan and navy recolor, it looks amazing. I'd been using it for a couple of weeks but when I got the 1.1 beta, it replaced the house back to the normal default version... Is anyone else having the same issue? The Coop, Barn, Stable, Silo and Well are all still fine, it seems that it's just my house.

Also slight request if the author is going to be doing recolors of the new buildings: Would it be possible to recolor the greenhouse to match the dark brown wood of the barn and the accents on the house? I love these mods and unfortunately, I doubt I'd have the skill to do this myself.

brittpinkie likes this.