1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Macrochip and Logic Upgrades V4.11

Virtual Circuitry

1. Lefl

Lefl Phantasmal Quasar

I have a stupid question, how do i make a vanilla like timer with this?
    so AFTER it recieved the signal and when the signal is gone it still outputs for X seconds

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. Xakorik

Xakorik Scruffy Nerf-Herder

May I use this mod in a server modpack?

3. Storm_UK

Storm_UK Existential Complex

Certainly Xakorik.

4. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

It looks like a promising mod, but I'm skeptical about its usefulness for dungeoneering modders like myself.

5. overtube

overtube Big Damn Hero

the construction of a logical chain and moving the nodes sometimes happens that the image of the virtual environment of the chip is lost (maсrochip turns into a black square, or simply disappear nodes) helps closing the editor and run it again, but sometimes the situation is repeated

6. dareddevil7

dareddevil7 Pangalactic Porcupine

Is there a limited range for remote inputs and outputs?

7. Storm_UK

Yes, about 50 tiles. I didn't want to make It too far incase it glitches out if it crossing boundaries of map areas.

8. Storm_UK

9. smertnickx

smertnickx Void-Bound Voyager

Can i somehow increase radius of remote input and output scanning without adding additional wiring elements?

[​IMG]

10. glirp

glirp Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi,

I played around with this a bit and was trying to investigate the issues with the netlist updates, and I think I have an idea.
    Currently it seems to be updated from the closest nodes to an input (in term of graph nodes), to the farthest ones. (the algorithm is basically similar to a depth first topological sorting)

Quite frankly I wasn't able to trip it with looping circuits, they seem to mostly work but I haven't tried very complex ones. But someone mentioned on the steam workshop comments that they couldn't make a shift register, and sure enough this doesn't work:
    upload_2016-7-28_22-25-23.png

If you insert a 1 by turning both switches on, it propagates right away to all the flip flops. The reason is that the flip flops are updated one after another, starting from the first one (as it is directly wired to the inputs), and then the next one sees the new circuit state created by the update of the first one, and so on.

What should really happen in that they should all be updated at "the same time", so with the same "view" of the previous state of the circuit.

So this gave me an idea for a suggestion of a different algorithm to update the simulation.

Instead of ordering the updates based on which nodes are closest to inputs, update all the nodes whose inputs signals have changed.
    To make the update appear simultaneous for all those nodes, they shouldn't "see" the signal changes from the other nodes updated at the same time, so they should all be updated based on the existing state of the circuit.
    Only once they have all been updated, the changes they have made to their outputs should become part of the new circuit state.

Then repeat all this again to update the next set of nodes whose inputs have now changed.

You could do this once every update but it would make signal propagation kinda slow. Instead, you can do it until there are no more nodes with changed inputs, or if any of the nodes that do have already been updated during the current update (which will happen with looping circuits wired in such a way that they oscillate between different states).

11. Storm_UK

smertnickx, the remote node range is at present limited to 50 tiles as Starbound loads maps in 'chunks' I wasn't sure how well it would perform if they were too far away. I could extend that and/or add an option to change the range in the WIP coming Macrochip options menu.

glirp, thanks for your experiments. The circuit propagation is an issue I'm currently investigating. My script tries to assign each component a priority based on its 'distance,' then calculates in that priority order. I have some idea of how to fix (if you've unpacked the mod, you may well see an unused 'propogation.lua' script which contains some remark statements of how I think it 'should' be done.)

12. Joshnie

Joshnie Void-Bound Voyager

Would it be possible for you to add a latch gate?

13. Storm_UK

The Macrochip has toggle and data flip-flop components which are latch gates.

14. Joshnie

Joshnie Void-Bound Voyager

I meant a SR latch unless theres some mechanic with the data flipflop im missing.
    I know you can use 2 NOR gates to make an SR gate but it starts getting really messy after abit of time.

15. Storm_UK

16. Storm_UK

Storm_UK updated Macrochip (Stable - Glad Giraffe) with a new update entry:

V2.03

Read the rest of this update entry...

17. Vilfranal

Vilfranal Void-Bound Voyager

I have a problem with the remote output nodes, they just don't work at all, the remote macrochip cannot detect them.

By the way, probably my favorite mod. Keep it up.

18. Storm_UK

When you say 'at all', do you mean they don't register even if placed nearby the remote macrochips? Looks like the range of remote nodes has reverted to max 40 tiles from the 200 I had set it to for some reason in the next version I'm working on before I release next update.

Thanks for the praise!

19. Vilfranal

Vilfranal Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, it also happens when it's right next to it.

20. Storm_UK

Storm_UK updated Macrochip (Stable - Glad Giraffe) with a new update entry:

V2.05

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016