Mac OSX Wineskin Attempts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soshta, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Damonkala

Damonkala Void-Bound Voyager

Whelp, following @haxd's guide and attempting to run the GoG version, I was able to boot it up... to the black screen with just music.
    I guess I missed something, so I'll try again from complete scratch later.
    Thanks so much for helping me get this far!

• DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

So I got as far as here, but then Steam hung-up on inputting my security code and eventually quit. Do I have to do anything to get back into that particular wine instance before I go on to the next step? {Edit: nope!]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
      • DukeOfRiven

@haxd Let there be sung non nobis and te deum - let you name be lauded, let your name be praised, let joy ring out forever more in your favour (and you too, @jeregrine - maybe alternate ays for your parades?) It works it works it works!

(One note: launching the winetricks as a GUI did nothing in terms of actually installing dependencies, so, I had to install them all manually (i.e. wintricks dotnet40 et al).

• sebrius

sebrius Aquatic Astronaut

Works like a charm! Thanks everyone!

Anyone got experience in getting a XBOX 360 Controller to work with a wine-port game? The lastest release from the 360Controller github repo works great under El Capitan but i have no idea how to emulate it in a wine port :/

• DukeOfRiven

Hey @Soshta - it's your thread, so you deserve to be notified that we (and by we I mean 'smarter people than me') got it working!

Soshta likes this.
            • Soshta

Soshta Intergalactic Tourist

This is amazing.... now to spend all day fumbling trying to install the Gog version with the directions. :p I feel like a complete dolt reading these steps. I am hoping someone will have an image guide or youtube video up shortly as I am a mess with code and all these installations by terminal. Thank you so much to those who put in the crunch time trying to get this to work and taking the time to share your findings. It's awesome of you to help us who are no so great with wine and coding get up and running!

• DukeOfRiven

I think it took me about thirty minutes, maybe less. I had to install the dlls via the winetricks command, rather than through the GUI version haxd suggested.

• Soshta

Did you end up needing Xcode then? If so, I have to reformat. I'm maxed out on space.

• DukeOfRiven

Yes. Just follow Haxd steps on page 5 - they worked for me pretty well (save the aforementioned winetricks issue)

• WinnieStuff

WinnieStuff Seal Broken

If I want to try all of this a second time, what should I delete, and how should I start anew?

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

you probably only need to remove the wine folder that you cloned here:

git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git ~/dev/wine-source

everything installed with homebrew shouldn't need to be reinstalled since you don't modify any of those. The brew install commands will probably just report that the software is already installed and it might be a bit quicker.

• Soshta

How would I alter this installation using the plain setup .exe that comes with the Gog purchase?

• Soshta

I freed up some space and Xcode is installing. If I cannot install the dlls through the gui, like what happened on your installation, how did you do it through winetricks command? Maybe it will be clearer once I get things started...

• WinnieStuff

WinnieStuff Seal Broken

I have now tried this with both sets of directions, and still get the graphics error. i must not be changing the directx file correctly. Can someone clarify what I should be deleting?

• franz3x8

franz3x8 Void-Bound Voyager

hey guys anyone of you tested a custom wineskin engine like WineSherry?? i might try it later i'll give feed back

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

ah so I was wrong: with GOG, installing via this method and relaunching the game via the installer will not persist any save files. ug

I poked around and the GOG setup installer installs to

Code:
                                  ~/.wine/drive_c/GOG\ Games/Stardew\ Valley/Stardew\ Valley.exe

So I would think I would be able to run it by

Code:
                                   ./wine ~/.wine/drive_c/GOG\ Games/Stardew\ Valley/Stardew\ Valley.exe
                                  with `./wine` being in the directory where the hacked and compiled version of wine is. However, this blows up when the game launches with a bunch of errors about missing files and incorrect paths:

Code:
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework"
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"xTile"
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact"
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Core"
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Xml"
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics"
                                  fixme:nls:GetUserPreferredUILanguages stub: 0 0x32d004 0x0 0x32d000
                                  fixme:thread:GetThreadPreferredUILanguages 0, 0x32d004, 0x0 0x32d000
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch"
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing"
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Windows.Forms"
                                  fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Accessibility"
                                  fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32cac8,0x00000000), stub!
                                  fixme:d3d9:D3DPERF_SetOptions (0x2) : stub
                                  fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW (0xb70dba, 0x0, {8e9f5090-2d75-4d03-8a81-e5afbf85daf1}, 1, 0x32da2c, (null), (null), 0xed7190): stub
                                  fixme:ntdll:EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW   register trace class {8e9f5090-2d75-4d03-8a81-e5afbf85daf1}
                                  Unhandled Exception: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'Z:\Users\ME\Desktop\stardew\wine\Content\XACT\FarmerSounds.xgs'.
                                  That last line is interesting. The Z:\Users\ME\Desktop\stardew\wine path is where i cloned the git repo, so it's looks to me like wine is expecting the game's assets to be somewhere else. I do not have a stardew/wine/CONTENT directory. so maybe I just need to copy the installed files to somewhere else?

Anyone else working with the GOG version and got it running?

EDIT: Got it!

so inside of the Stardew direcotry there is a folder called Content, it needs to be copied to the top level directory that wine is in and the game with launch and load saved games correctly. Maybe someone else knows a more correct way to do this?

So for the GOG version, I followed @haxd post #94, skipped the steam install and ran the setup.exe file from GOG instead of the steam installer. This installs the game, but throws a bunch of errors on the way. Once it finishes, you can click launch game and it will boot despite the errors.

To get it to run again, you need to copy the installed files to the same directory as the wine executable.

Code:
                                  open ~/.wine/drive_c/GOG
                                  will open the installed folder in finder. I copied the Stardew valley folder and put it in the same directory as my wine installation. Now copy the Content folder from within the Stardew Valley folder to the same directory as the wine executable (whereever you ran ./wine setup.exe) and the game should launch with ./wine Stardew\Valley/Stardew\ Valley.exe

• Soshta

I am watching with baited breath. I am just now running through haxd guide. I am not sure what I am going to do when I get to the part with the steam installer, but I have the Gog version as well. I hope someone can help you out!

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

I got it working, my savefile is there, i edited my post with how I did it. It's a bit tricky. but let me know if you need help once you get the GOG installer running.

• Soshta

Okay got the installer running, it asked for MONO and Gecko so far, and I got to the Install screen! Trying it now.

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

no, i just opened the folder and moved it manually. try `open ~/.wine/drive_c`