Mac OSX Wineskin Attempts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soshta, Feb 27, 2016.

1. sebrius

sebrius Aquatic Astronaut

:nurugasp:
    OMG amazing! If someone could write a small Tutorial on how to set this up step-by-step i'd love you forever!! :nuruflirt:

• alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

Brilliant, so did you have to edit and build wine from source to patch the `directx.c` file? It would be great to reach out to the dev/chucklefish about sharing just the wrapper for this, doesn't wine allow you to do that?

• haxd

haxd Space Hobo

I did have to build wine from source to patch the file. I don't think you're allowed to redistribute binaries, but I should in theory be able to make a script that will download and patch the source, and build it, the prerequisites are large though. I'm a developer, so most of these things I had already installed on my Mac, like homebrew package manager and as well as Xcode.

• huecester

huecester Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How do you use winetricks on OSX? Haven't been able to find anything that could help me.
          Edit: I've got it 'installed' but it gives me the error "wineserver not found!".

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
          • alphahouse

alphahouse Seal Broken

Cool, i do a bit of web dev, so I've got everything setup I think, I just haven't really dived into it because I know nothing about desktop/windows apps.

Would appreciate a writeup!

• haxd

haxd Space Hobo

I wget winetricks into the wine-source directory, and chmod it, then I run it by doing ./winetricks - the first time I ran it, I encountered the error that WINE wasn't in the path. I just ran the following in the wine-source directory:

export PATH=`pwd`:$PATH

and then when I ran ./winetricks it worked fine.

I will do it all again from scratch and I will write my steps on here a little bit later.

• DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

It's... it's so.... IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL! OH DEAR SWEET GOD IN HEAVEN WHY DIDN'T THEY SEND A POET? WHY, WHY, WHY????????

Soshta likes this.
                • DukeOfRiven

My advice for the writeup is "assume the reader only known how to launch the terminal," so maybe even fools like me can make the attempt?

• huecester

Haha yeah, I did the same as you, I just had to exit and start terminal and it worked. Not quite sure why. Currently installing the verbs and will tell you how it goes. Did you also edit directx.c and add MaxVersionGL to registry?

• jeregrine

jeregrine Void-Bound Voyager

I also got this to work using patched wine. I can do a little write up but it requires basically having your machine setup to do development, no way around that.

alphahouse likes this.
                      • huecester

Didn't get it to work. Must have taken a wrong step somewhere!

• jeregrine

Notes: This is provided as-is with no promises. If this borks your computer it's on you, if it messes up existing wine install's thats on you. This is what did it on my machine and it worked.

I verified this process on another machine of my buddy. Let me know if you can reproduce!

Pre-requisites
                          Install http://brew.sh/, experience with using a command line, a tough mental attitude and a sense of curiosity.

Steps

brew install wine winetricks git​

while that runs in a new tab do

git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git​

Apply this patch to the repo

diff --git a/dlls/wined3d/directx.c b/dlls/wined3d/directx.c
                          index 5f995ce..886feb0 100644
                          --- a/dlls/wined3d/directx.c
                          +++ b/dlls/wined3d/directx.c
                          @@ -5024,8 +5024,7 @@ HRESULT CDECL wined3d_get_device_caps(const struct wined3d *wined3d, UINT adapte
                          WINED3DPBLENDCAPS_SRCCOLOR |
                          WINED3DPBLENDCAPS_ZERO;

- if (gl_info->supported[ARB_BLEND_FUNC_EXTENDED])
                          - caps->DestBlendCaps |= WINED3DPBLENDCAPS_SRCALPHASAT;
                          + caps->DestBlendCaps |= WINED3DPBLENDCAPS_SRCALPHASAT;

if (gl_info->supported[EXT_BLEND_COLOR])
                          {​
                          (that is line dlls/wined3d/directx.c 5029 just remove the if part, edit it in notepad if you don't have an editor. Like I said this is not for the faint of heart)

Once wine and wine tricks are installed run this command

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg​

Close this window (if you need to configure the windows machine run the above command again)

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks xact xna40 steam​

If you have an issue with xna just click ok. If it errors about audio just run the above command again

IF you get an error that says steam failed to SHA1SUM then you will need to download steam setup.exe directly from the steam powered website. Run it with the following command https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/SteamSetup.exe

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine ~/Downloads/SteamSetup.exe​

At this point you should have a Steam Window, login and start the install of Stardew. Once stardew is installed close steam entirely.

Change your directory into the wine source and run the following commands.

./configure​

./make​

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 ./wine ~/.wine32/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe​

To run Steam this is the command you'll need every time. If you want to make a shortcut you'll need to use the qualified path to your wine directory like so

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 ~/projects/wine/wine ~/.wine32/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe​

Run StarDew and have fun!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
                          • huecester

Great writeup, only thing wrong is what I've highlighted but I'm guessing most will notice the error there. Will try it later with the gog-version and see if I get different results than I did before.

• haxd

haxd Space Hobo

Here are the steps I used, simplified a bit as by not installing wine from brew, you only get the 32 bit version. The 64 bit version is not required:

Installed brew as above.
                              Install Xcode from the App Store
                              Run it at least once
                              Install the Command Line Tools in Preferences

Installing XQuartz, probably not required
                              Code:
                              brew install Caskroom/cask/xquartz
                              Installing the wine dependencies
                              Code:
                              brew install --only-dependencies --devel wine
                              Download the wine source code
                              Code:
                              git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git ~/dev/wine-source
                              Modify the directx.c as per above

Code:
                              cd ~/dev/wine-source
                              ./configure CC="clang" CXX="clang++" CFLAGS="-std=gnu89 -g"
                              make -j5
                              Install Steam (Download SteamSetup.exe from steampowered.com)

Code:
                              ./wine ~/Downloads/SteamSetup.exe
                              I ran the installation here, at which point it completed and then proceeded to fail to boot

I then ran winecfg, but did not modify anything

I then installed wget to download winetricks (Could have used curl)

Code:
                              brew install wget
                              Code:
                              wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
                              chmod +x winetricks
                              I then install winetricks dependencies
                              Code:
                              brew install cabextract homebrew/dupes/unzip p7zip zenity
                              Code:
                              ./winetricks
                              This will complain about WINE not being in the path. I solved this thusly:

Code:
                              export PATH=`pwd`:$PATH
                              This is temporary, and will only last as long as your terminal session, however it probably doesn't matter.

This launched a gui, at which point I opted to install dlls and installed the ones I listed
                              Code:
                              d3dx10
                              d3dx9
                              d3dx9_26
                              d3dx9_28
                              d3dx9_31
                              d3dx9_35
                              d3dx9_36
                              d3dx9_39
                              d3dx9_42
                              d3dx9_43
                              directx9
                              dotnet20sp2
                              dotnet40
                              steam
                              xna31
                              xna40
                              I then went to the Stardew Valley directory

Code:
                              cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew\ Valley/
                              ran wine

Code:
                              ~/dev/wine-source/wine ./Stardew\ Valley.exe
                              And voilĂ !

Hope this helps :)

dreamseizer likes this.
                              • jeregrine

Thanks updated!

• DukeOfRiven

Are you running all these console commands in the Terminal or in XCode? (I ask while XCode is installing)

• haxd

haxd Space Hobo

The terminal, but after XCode has installed and you've ran it and installed the Command line tools

• DukeOfRiven

Please clarify. Does the code that starts 'cd ~/dev/wine-source' modify directx.c or no?

• DukeOfRiven

Second question: I already have wine installed on my Mac in .wine in the Home folder and all that - is it okay to go ahead and do all these steps, do I need to make a new prefix, how does that change everything?

• huecester

I think it's generally a good idea to work in clean prefix.