Luthien's Firefly Hollow Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuthienNightwolf, Aug 29, 2016.

1. LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Hey guys! Sooo it's been a while since my last update - it took me a while to get through summer because I spent a week up at my mom's (where I'm unable to play) and I've also been playing a lot of Minecraft, which takes up some of my Stardew time. But, I'm here at the end of the season finally and I've got a bunch of stuff to show you. :) There's actually two parts to this update. The first is just the general farm update, and the second is some pictures from the rest of town, which include my slime colonies.

So, first things first, the house:
    Summer Year 3 House.png
    Not a huge change since last season other than I swapped all the pink and purple stuff for green. You will notice one new addition though, and that's the new baby Junimo that's nesting in my farmer's plant room. n_n Her name is Petal, and I made her a special hiding spot she can rest in until she's ready to come out and explore. She joined us very early in the summer so she should be ready to come out soon! (Also I didn't include the attic or basement here because they basically look the same as last time.)

I've made one small change on the farm, see if you can find it:
    Summer Year 3 Farm.png
    See them there in the middle? Those two trees that don't quite match the rest? Those are actually the Earth and Water Obelisks, modified to look like trees as part of the seasonal buildings set. I don't really use them for their intended purpose but I had the money to blow and I figured they might look kinda neat on the farm, so I went ahead and purchased them. I also found a new mod for my goats, so they're looking different too! Everything else is just as you saw it last season. Oh, and don't worry about those cabbages, these screenshots were actually taken on the 27th so I could stream the Dance of the Moonlight Jellies. ;)

I also wanted to show you guys my farm cave, which is of course the 2cute farm cave by TaintedWheat. I don't remember if I ever showed you the finished version once all the trees grew in, so here's that:
    Farm Cave.png
    There is another room behind the middle one (that's where the doors lead) but it's not customizable so I didn't take any screenshots. I mostly just use it for additional storage.

Last bit of farm stuff, this is my artisan shed decorated for Summer:
    Artisan Shed Summer.png

And now, onto the other things I mentioned. :3

I've been working on this since early year 2, and some of it still isn't quite finished because trees take a long time to grow when you have so many planted. But, I've been slowly turning the town and surrounding areas into a forest, complete with trees, cobblestone pathways, and lots of grass. I did my best to get as many good screenshots as I could for you guys but I did miss a few sections, so don't mind the giant black spaces in some of them. :disshappy:

We'll start with the bus stop:
    Bus Stop.png
    Pam's day must be a little more interesting with some more trees to look at. (She still insists on walking in the long grass though.)

Cindersap forest is looking much more forest-like thanks to the addition of new trees and grassy areas. I'm also housing my green slime colony down there, though they are already starting to spread into areas I didn't want them in. :/
    North Cindersap Forest.png
    Forest Green Colony.png

My favorite location is still the Secret Woods:
    Secret Woods.png

The beach contains my second colony of slimes, blue to match the ocean:
    Beach Blue Colony.png

In town, there's not a lot to show yet, since many of the trees are still growing in. I will probably hold off planting grass anywhere here until next spring, since I'm heading into Fall now and it'll all disappear come Winter. I took a few shots of some of the nicer areas in town though:
    Town.png
    Doing my best to cover up those ugly Joja ruins.

Also, this is specifically for @sunlite who requested a few slimes be let loose in Pierre's house to join the ladies for aerobics class. I ended up hatching one of each color. Slime Aerobics, it's the next big trend in Pelican Town. :D
    Slime Aerobics.png

Moving along, check out the desert! It's not so much of a barren wasteland now. I've added plenty of trees and also started a colony of purple slimes:
    Desert Purple Colony.png

The mountain pass has a few trees, but I didn't get a lot of worm dig spots over the winter so I wasn't able to plant very many:
    Mountain Pass.png

Next we have the mountain area itself:
    Mountain.png
    I think Linus appreciates all the extra greenery. :kawaii:

I haven't really done much with the quarry, but I have been letting gem nodes collect and thus far I'm at 17:
    Gem Nodes Only .png
    I may still plant trees up there but I've noticed rocks can spawn where the cobblestone pathway is and break it, so I'm not too keen on trying to do much with it now.

Even the dwarf's cave wasn't immune to my decorating:
    Dwarf Cave.png

Up at the railroad, I've got my red slime colony. Red slimes don't seem to breed very fast so I don't have nearly as many as I thought I would by now:
    Railroad Red Colony.png

And that's pretty much all of it, for now. :) If anyone is planning to do this my advice is definitely to start early, at least planting trees. They can take an entire season or longer to grow if you have a lot of them planted, as I do. But the finished look is definitely worth it. :party:

I hope you guys enjoyed the update, it seems these will probably be a little more spaced out since I'm not playing quite as often and it already takes me a long time to get through a full season. Plus, once I hit year 4, I'll likely not do any more updates since my farm really doesn't change past that point. If you would like to see how things are going on my farm during the season, I do sometimes stream on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/luthiennightwolf I think there's one video up there right now but I should be doing another stream to finish summer and start fall, most likely tomorrow afternoon (Saturday).

Thanks for reading! :coffee:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    • Rauchschwalbe

Rauchschwalbe Cosmic Narwhal

I like the beach area best! It looks really beautiful.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
      • Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the green desert. It fits more into the rest of the valley. You mentioned artifact spots for planting trees in the mountain pass. Isn't it possible to plant trees there without them?
        The modded farm cave looks pretty too. Does the pond refill your energy?

• LuthienNightwolf

In most grassy areas you aren't able to dig unless there's a worm spot first (you can dig on dirt path though), so I've had to wait until those show up in order to plant trees. That's how I got the ones in the Secret Woods. :3 And yep, the pond restores energy, as does the bathtub in the added bathroom. It's really handy when you're first starting out.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Hah, I love the little slimes in the aerobics class :3

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So pretty. Good idea to semi-hide that Joja eyesore with vegetation! Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to mod the building art to look like a banyan tree or something.

Ooooh, how's the tide pool holding up for slimes? I might try that area next if it seems to work!

• LuthienNightwolf

I would love a re texture for the Joja building. Even if it stayed a building and just got turned into something nicer looking. Or a park with benches and trees, anything else. lol
                The tide pool seems to be a good habitat for the blue slimes. On my last save I couldn't get a colony going because they wouldn't breed unless I was there, but I think they're doing pretty well this time around. I've already had to thin them out once. >u<

MrToni300 and Seismothesaurus like this.
                • Sugar-Fable

Sugar-Fable Phantasmal Quasar

Is this what you're looking for? :)
                  http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/joja-ruins-be-gone.126959/#post-3162237

• LuthienNightwolf

Ah, yeah I've run across that one before. I've just never bothered to get it because I'm not sure if it'll interfere with my recolor mod or all the trees I have planted. I don't know what all the town map is linked to. If it won't mess up the other stuff I might be down. >.>

Sugar-Fable likes this.
                    • Sugar-Fable

You could always check and if all else fails combine them? Depends on how much you'd like to get rid of Joja I guess haha

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Why not just edit the tile sheet the ruins themselves are defined upon? The game would still put them there, but they could look like a log cabin or a wooden fort or whatever would be a bit less run-down. As far as I can see those tiles for the ruins aren't used for anything else in the game, not even the pre-closing Joja itself (which doesn't have the cracks and grime). You might need to leave the neon sign and truck alone if they're the same tile sheet as the functional Joja Mart, but the building itself could be changed to look like something nice...

• LuthienNightwolf

Because that's way too much work to fix something that's only a minor annoyance. lol I'm still working on my furniture edits for my next playthrough (and even that project has been on hold for like a month). If someone else is up to the task though be my guest. >u>

• Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Long term: I'd like to make some more mods for SDV and would probly enjoy tackling this.

I'm just super unreliable with my day job and usually mod whatever game I feel like playing on the weekend (this weekend it was sims 3). So there's no time table I could even give.

I'm really excited to see what you come up with =3

You should totally record a "let's play" of your next playthrough!! (would definitely sub to something like that)

• LuthienNightwolf

I haven't made the leap to YouTube yet but I have been doing a few streams every so often on Twitch. I'm trying to make Saturdays at 3pm central my scheduled time if you want to try and catch one.
                              My biggest issue with doing an actual LP is I'm not good at narrating what I'm doing as I play. I'm afraid people would get bored watching me silently play with only occasional commentary, but the reality is I'm way better at expressing myself through writing than I am verbally, so I don't talk much.

MrToni300 and Roskii Heiral like this.
                              • LuthienNightwolf

Quick update time, allow me to rescue my thread from page 3. lol I've finished Fall and I've got just three pictures for you this time, but I also have a question at the end and I want you guys to help me decide on something!

House: Decorated for Fall, as per usual.
                                Fall Year 3 House.png

We're enjoying our jacuzzi style bathtub, I caught Seb actually standing in it one day so I did some clever editing to make it look like he and I were relaxing in there after a hard day's work. >u<
                                Tub Time.png

And now the farm: Somehow (I suspect Junimo magic) the pine tree in the bottom left corner of my garden turned into a mushroom tree one night! I also finally managed to get a dinosaur egg in a fishing chest so I hatched it and named it Rex. She already provided me with a new egg so I was able to donate it on the very last day of Fall.
                                Fall Year 3 Farm.png
                                The remainder of Fall 28 was spent cutting grass - not just on the farm, but all across the town maps as well. Helpful tip, it can ALL be turned into hay! So if you're decorating the areas off your farm, it's useful to chop it all down just before winter arrives so you can get plenty of hay stored up. It's going to disappear under the snow anyway, might as well use it. ;)

Heading into Winter, I'm down to needing just one more fish (the Glacierfish), one more artifact (the chipped amphora) and one more recipe (roasted hazelnuts, which I can't get until the end of next summer) to complete all of my collections. I also have an idea I've been tossing around, and this is where I want your opinions, dear readers.

Since Misthaven Manor is a goat farm, I've been thinking about doing a complete (well, like 90% complete) redesign of the farm, doing away with the large garden on the left side and expanding the goat pasture, which I will then divide into four sections. Each section will only house the goats for a few weeks, and I would switch the goats from one pasture to another periodically to give the grass a chance to grow back. (If I'm not mistaken, this is what ranchers do with their livestock so they don't completely deplete one area of growth.) There would be three pastures for this, and the fourth would basically be devoted to the garden (which would be much smaller and only grow the crops I need) artisan shed, silos, mill, and the one coop that I have. The top section of the farm where the brewery and orchard are would stay the same. The hives would likely get moved off the farm to just produce wild honey, and I'd relocate the Obelisk trees to a new area. The mushroom tree would definitely stay where it is. lol

My question for you guys is do you think I should try this out for year 4? Or do you like the farm as it is and think I should keep it the same? If I do keep it the same, it's highly unlikely anything will change after this, so I will stop updates after Winter in order to finish out this save. Let me know what you think!

1ovaknd, MrToni300 and staarfruit like this.
                                • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I think changing it up is a good idea. It seems like there's not much to do by year 4, so the redesign could keep you busy for a while.

• Seismothesaurus

That picture of your farmer and Seb is a very nice touch! Also the jacuzzi, lol.

Sounds like you're going for a sort of fallowing. It's a good idea; I hate how quickly grass disappears unless you can plant a massive field of it. Your farm looks great, but I agree with mixing it up if you don't really need the other areas and if it's starting to feel boring but you don't want to stop playing it yet. You'll always have the screenshots of the old layout. :) Personally I'm still messing with design in year 7.

• Sugar-Fable

I think it's worth a try to keep you interested in the save/busy as Sunlite said so I say go for it!

MrToni300 and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                                      • LuthienNightwolf

Thanks for the input guys, I'm glad you're behind me on that one cuz I really think it'll be fun to switch things up. n_n (And yeah, it'll give me something to do over the winter. lol)

I wish that when the animals grazed, they wouldn't just eat the first grass they reach (typically whatever's closest to the barn/coop, you can watch them all walk in a straight line right down to it), as they tend to just wear it away faster than it can grow back. If they'd spread out a bit, the grass would have an easier chance to keep replenishing itself. Instead I end up with a field that's about 3/4 barren every couple weeks. I actually had to go buy more grass starters and fill the pasture up before I took the screenshots just so it wouldn't look empty.

I also kinda wanted to try a farm that's truly dedicated to just ranching...but I can't quite bring myself to get rid of my brewery. haha I love the concept of producing seasonal goods and all of my wine and preserves are made from whatever fruits are currently in season. Makes each batch feel more special. :3 So I'll keep the brewery (that's the big building up top) and just shrink down the garden to maybe half the size of the current pasture. I'm at a point in the game where I really don't need to grow much - I've cooked most of the recipes and I certainly don't need the money - so a small garden with just a few basics will be fine to finish out year 4. I'll sadly have to narrow it down to one Junimo hut or else I'll have all 12 of them fighting over the crops. :rofl: I may downsize my coop as well, being as I'm not in terrible need of eggs anymore either. I mostly just need the void chicken to make eggs as gifts for Seb, and I might keep the dinosaur just cuz it's cute (I use the slime animals mod for it so it looks like a little blob hehe)

MrToni300, Jerev and Sugar-Fable like this.
                                        • Seismothesaurus

Right? I have a huge amount of grass growing in the field to the east of the quarry on the hilltop map, yet half my pigs never find it. Like Zoolander, they can't conceptualize turning left out of the barn. It would be better if they grazed at the end of the day instead of the beginning, so at least there would be a chance that they'd wander into some grass.

You could always do a ranch and orchard if you have the space. It feels like a compromise between farming and not-farming since you only have to plant them once and harvest every third day.