1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue [Low priority] gravity affected tiles still "fall" in space encounters AND asteroid fields

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Twisted_Code, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Twisted_Code

Twisted_Code Void-Bound Voyager

pretty much what it says on the tin. I placed some stone rubble on a space encounter to see what would happen, and it still acted like there was downward gravity. It's not a huge problem since these tiles don't normally occur in space encounters unless placed by a player. If I were to change anything about it, I would want them so that they are pulled toward the nearest background tile or gravity-unaffected block.

edit in accordance with the relevant Support FAQ:
    • What happened? Did the game crash, freeze / lock up, or just do something wrong (e.g. monster dropped unexpected item)?: see above
    • What did you expect to happen here?: see above
    • What were you doing in the game at the time? (e.g. killing a Poptop, accepting a quest from a colonist): exploring a space encounter. See above for more details
    • Whether you were able to trigger the bug again by repeating what you did.: yes the bug is reproducible
    • Your operating system name and version.Are you using any mods? If so, which ones?: No, currently playing vanilla although I did try the Brony Mod pack unsuccessfully. It didn't load past trying to initialize my save so there probably aren't any residual/orphaned objects from it though.
    • Whether you’re in full screen or windowed mode.: windowed.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. Harisen

Harisen Void-Bound Voyager

I don't exactly see any point in reporting gravity physics on a procedurally generated space encounter instance. However, if you've tried this in an asteroid field and it still does the questionable gravity physics, then maybe it warrants some looking into (since zero-G means the stuff would just float around like when blocks are broken on space encounters).

3. Twisted_Code

they are considered instances? Does that mean they regenerate just like missions do when you beam up? Because I've been revisiting the same one so I assumed they were permanent.

4. Harisen

Harisen Void-Bound Voyager

Space encounters (for example, the Space Bar, mining asteroids, shelters, and outposts and the like) are randomly chosen dungeon instances with sections that are sometimes minable, sometimes not. They pop in and out of a star system, similar to NPC ships, hence they are not permanent.

Asteroid fields, on the other hand, are those rings of rock you sometimes see on some star systems that will allow you to deploy your mech to explore. There's pretty much nothing to do here aside from mining copper, gold, or silver ore from the rocks, but it is treated similarly to a planet in that its inherent resources are intact with each visit and does not disappear compared to a space encounter instance,

5. Twisted_Code

(I meant to bump this earlier) this gravity issue also occurs with asteroid fields, and while one could argue you usually don't visit the same part of an asteroid field twice, it is POSSIBLE to leave and come back if you leave a flag, as I did one time. You just can't bring the mech that way without mods