1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Low FPS OS X Macbook Pro Retina 2013

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by jonmo, Sep 10, 2017.

1. jonmo

jonmo Space Hobo

Hello all,

I'm experiencing low FPS on my macbook pro 2013 running OS X. The specs are as follows.

2.3 Ghz, boosting up to 3.3Ghz (Holds 3.3ghz as verified with Intel Power Gadget)
    Nvidia 750M Graphics
    16GB Ram
    512GB SSD
    OS X 10.11.6
    Running 1.3.2 Starbound

I'm lucky to pull 25-30fps in the main menu with no world loaded. Once the game loads the frame rate seems to be proportional to the area i'm in. Many lights or NPCs causes the framerate to fall, in my colony I get 15fps.

I have tried:

1. Full screen mode (all options), and windowed
    2. Lowering the resolution (does help a bit, but the improvement is identical to simply zooming in further at higher res). Tried everything from 1280x720 all the way up to 2560x1440
    3. Running outside of Steam
    4. Running in steam with the overlay on and off.
    5. Disabling Steam friends
    6. Installing NVidia webdriver instead of standard OS X driver.
    7. I have re-applied thermal paste to the heatsink.
    8. I have verified that the CPU does not thermal throttle using Intel Power Gadget.
    9. I have verified that the CPU maintains highest boost clock.
    10. I have verified that there is suffient RAM and the system is not swapping to disk.
    11. 4 different performance increasing mods from the workshop
    12. Verifying nothing else is consuming resources with top, ps and the Activity Monitor.
    13. Vsync on and off

I am willing to try debug builds, and to provide any logs or traces required. The fact the FPS is so low in the main menu is really pointing to an unoptimised routine in the main game loop.