1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Low FPS on a good computer

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Thalant, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

Hi there!
    First of all, I guess this is not a bug but I think this is the right section to post it.

Well, I've been playing Starbound for about 20 hours now and I am enjoying it a lot, but my experience is being a little frustrated by the fact that I get big fps drops when I'm in planets with a lot of "animations". For example, in molten planets, the sandstorms slow me down a lot. Or, the empty apex laboratories with challenge rooms are also a pain in the neck (mostly caused by the electric floor), as well as other facilities with a lot of NPC's inside. The problem is usually solved by setting Zoom 3x, though I don't like to do that because the sight range is greatly decreased.

The thing is that I have a computer that should be able to run the game smoothly, or so I believe. I am attaching the dxdiag file so you can see it by yourselves.
    So, why could this be happening? Is this something normal?
    Also, I am playing on the 64-bit Open-GL version. Is this the best choice for me?

Thank you beforehand :)

Attached Files:

2. AndreSolo

AndreSolo Astral Cartographer

There are many people having similar issues. Apparently we need to wait for a fix update that has no schedule yet. I hope the devs are aware of the number of complaints going on and try to update it shortly

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The game has become quite complex internally. Once they are done adding all the features they wish, they will do an optimization pass that should drastically improve performance across the board. That will be after the story update.

4. Krinklezz

Krinklezz Void-Bound Voyager

My frame rate varies a lot. On planets I've just traveled to I get around 60 fps on the surface, although if I come across any sort of settlement whether it's a prison or an airship I get major drops to around 20-30. Which is also currently happening to my ship. I just finished upgrading it fully, and now when I'm standing in the middle of the ship (which is mostly empty since I did the last 3 or so upgrades without building in that area) I get about 30 fps. Standing at the front of my ship helps a little, but it used to get me back to 60. Underground averages 40 frames depending on how much is going on. The outpost is probably the worst out of all of them haha. I've tried various things to make this better, but not to much avail.
    Currently playing on the x64 opengl version as it seems to work the best for me. Oh and randomly I'll get around 60 frames on places that normally cause major problems, but it'll usually drop back down after traveling or teleporting. SO its pretty wonky right now for me. Almost unplayable.

5. Thalant

Thalant Zero Gravity Genie

Then just wait for the optimization update. It's the only real thing to do right now.

6. ivor_horton

ivor_horton Intergalactic Tourist

Just curious, but any news or updates from the devs on this? The game is unplayable as it is now, at least for me. Super sluggish, can't attack monsters properly or do much. Hilarious that I can run Far Cry 4 and Project Cars on max settings, but this game struggles. : (

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

There are many many threads on this topic. Please refer to them for the answer.

8. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

The developers are doing everything in one huge update. This huge update will be the end of beta and be the huge 1.0 update. This will include performance optimisation.

9. Thomas the Dank Engine

Thomas the Dank Engine Poptop Tamer

was my comment removed?
    --- Post updated ---
    If so then this seems shady or rude, maybe I just messed up but I thought i sent it and edited it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.