1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Lore - Floran

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Gilligan Lanley, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

So, I tried poking around different sites about Starbound lore on the Floran. I was curious if anyone know the aging process for them? I'd like to get some in-sight for my writing "Diary of a Lone Avali."

2. Master Automan IV

Master Automan IV Phantasmal Quasar

There is no official lore going in depth on the Florans aging process. But there are some clues to suggest that they grow similarly to animals. Try looking at the official wiki.

What were the sites? If it was rp sites(I'm only suggesting), that those explanations are only made up for the site.

If there is anything else you want to know, just reply. But keep this in mind, the only thing that is "in depth" about the Florans is there culture. Biology is almost ignored. And the things that are explained, contradicts its self a bit to much.

jakecool19 likes this.
  3. Gilligan Lanley

Thanks for the heads up. I did check out the official wiki, and all I've got was culture, well, for the majority of the Floran. Plus the bit of flavour text explain the "lisp" Floran have; I've always thought it was more of a hiss.

4. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Keep in mind that while many large plants live so long that we don't even have a recorded lifespan for them, Floran live very violent lifestyles. It's probable that, even if the species has the capability to live for a very long time, the vast majority won't reach any sort of venerable age because most Floran deaths would be of unnatural causes.

5. Gilligan Lanley

I was thinking that was well, I was just wondering if there was actual canon based info. Guess I'll just have to go with this idea for future works. Cheers!

6. Master Automan IV

True......true. That's kinda what I believed what was happening with Florans. The Florans could potentially have a shorter life span due to their violence. We can only test how long a floran lives, unless we take one from birth. So that way, nothing could harm the growth of that floran.

Good thing you mentioned that.

7. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

There is a very small bit of information on the aging process of old Florans in this Floran codex. It could be possible that Florans skin harden, similar to the texture of dying plant limbs from self pruning plants. http://starbounder.org/The_Trial_of_Saplings_2

8. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just remember that they reproduce by rubbing their butts together it's canon I swear

9. Master Automan IV

It was a joke made by the devs, and there's a lot that just plainly says its a joke I mean seriously, a random poll made by a random person, you know polls don't really matter anymore these days. And there is never a sensible explanation on how.........*shivers* butt rubbing works.

So actually its now a headcanon.

You scruffy lookin nerf herder! (this star wars reference will lose its potency after jikkojokki loses his scruffy nerf herder tag name, though he will always be a scruffy nerf herder in spirit. Or a fluffy nerf herder. Get it cause he's a avian. okay I'll get my things)[DOUBLEPOST=1452036499][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That's what I was hoping gilli would find.

Its the little things that make all the difference.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    STCW262 and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  10. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Why should butt rubbing not work? We do not know where the gender like features the florans have are. If they are unisex and do it plant like, as in pollen, that have to go to the pistil, and both would be located at the butt, rubbing them would work :p

While surely the butt rubbing was a joke it may be possible in its funny and strange way. Especially given that not all Floran have flower like headwear These "organs" may not be there. Maybe it is even individual for every floran.
    Would also like to know if florans give birth or even repdoruce by some kind of seeds. Maybe in an early stage they have to grow on the ground and have a incubation process in a plant like thing before they hatch from it. At least the respawn animation would indicate such a thing.

Gav Featherbeak likes this.
  11. Master Automan IV

What if I told you gender is social construct? Think about it. Gender is what you identify yourself with, masculine, feminine or neuter. Sex refers to male and female. You are born with a sex, and by culture you are given a gender, masculine or feminine as said above. Why do you think there's a neither option in the account creator. The terms are commonly used interchangeably. Though it is proper to use the terms this way.

I identify as an Apache attack helicopter.

Unisex does not imply having both reproductive organs. The definition also clearly states (for flowering plants) that each flower has either a stamen or pistil. Plants have many ways to reproduce. Broadly saying plants use pollen to reproduce is wrong. Flowering plants are one of the very few that use pollen for reproduction. Yes I'm a nerd. Unisex can also mean genderblindness. So florans could have males and females, but dont have the gender construct.

You can say it. Come on say it with me.
    *breaths in* NEEEEEEEERRRD.

I would think florans are born from seed/egg things. The respawn for the races may not be an exact representation of their birth. Just saying.

Angiosperm organs being in a anus sounds ridiculous!

Florans would not be categorized as a plant, if or if not originally from a grounded plant. Confused? Well lets say they did evolve from a grounded plant. Florans would have to develop many things exclusive to animals. A backbone, nerves, musciles etc. If not from a grounded plant, then possibly Florans are animals or half and half of plant and animals. If so then the Florans would be mixotrophs. Florans having full characteristics from plants does make sense. To me of course.

I'm not saying they cannot be bisexual, its equally possible for the Florans to be bisexual or having the male/female sexes.

Plus Florans are aliens. Sooooooo don't inforce specific earth aspects to aliens.

I don't want turn this into my old floran biology thread.
    God, that thread was awful.

Asking questions?
    Need any answers?
    Reply.

jakecool19 and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  12. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

Since you take such pride in being precise.... anus != butt.

What if they have pollen producers on their fluffy behind tissues? It might even make sense if they wanted to stealth-pollinate -- just sit on a rock & cozy up.... leave, and wait for another Floran to pick up the reproductive dust! It is also quite common for animals to mark territory, and who knows whether this pollen, (if that is indeed what they use to reproduce), might not be multi-functional?

:nuruwink:

(This message brought to you by remembrances of a documentary about frogs.... one species of which hatches eggs through the skin on their backs.... jeez, I hope it doesn't hurt.)

Master Automan IV likes this.
  13. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

First answer, the reason why we can choose "*gender*" or flowers is, just a flower color placeholder, because technical issues caused the devs to create it that way, which the devs said somewhere already. I just don't have the quote available yet. So this knowledge is some "SB development history". Thats why there is such an option. And that also why there is no symbol for female or male. Thiw woudl also count for the gitch, yet they are not described as "unisex" they are just 2 individuals meeting and constructing a new glitch. It's entirely non sexually related "production".

And "gender" is not a social thing, gender is a genetical identification, if you have a XY chromoson combination as a human, your are male by genetics, if you have not you are female. of course male and female are "given" words for this, but it changes nothing about the fact of the genetical roles of the XY combination distinguising form the role of the XX combinated individual as human. I do not identify myself as a male, My genes do these. Unisex is a description of not having gender related appearence.

Sure plants have many ways to reproduce genderless form themselves. But the florans have very distinctive ways in their appearance that shows they have ways to mix their genetics, if they would reproduce by plants in earthlike genderless ways, they would just create clones of themselves. Maybe partially they can do this, but their visual diversity indicates thet they have a way to mix their genes and individual savages would be very simlar in their view.
    So in the end, yes maybe they just can do this without pollen and pistril. But there has to be some kind of "event" which exchanges genetical informations They may not even be gender related. Could be that they just "merge" 2 of their cells somehow (as in buttrubbing :p). Could be they just both pee on the ground to do so. Who knows, no one. But we have set up the "butt rubbing" thing because we imagined that as funny looking yet possible way within the given lore how two floran individuals can mix their genes.

Yes I know many in our community add "female" visuals on the florans, such as breasthills, which I do find a bit weird since it doesn't fits to the unisex description. Thats a rather human thing for many to need visuals do define genders. But in the end this appearance could happen, yet it is not gender related. It's already borderline questionable why hyotl or avianfemales even have this "breast" visual appearance since neither birds or amphibics are mammals makinsuch a feature needed. But then they are aliens, maybe they are mammal like fishes and birds. Since feathers and bird or ambphicic charactersitcs features aren't actually necessarily related to the way of reproduction.
    Also, your "recognision" as plant: I think the definition of plant is cell characteristics. And if this wouldn't fit florans wouldn't have been categorised as such. I have no idea why you come up with this animal stuff like things and non grounded, because that has nothing to do with "plant" relation.

but the Lore definately gives us these facts

The given lore makes them unisex, it makes them plants.
    Also, who said plants need nerves in animal liek wayy? Plants even on our planet have ways to transfer informations. Plant neurobiology is an existing thing.
    Also your part about backbone and muscles? Crustecans don't have a spine, nor have snails or insects - the largets animal group on our planet. Thats not needed to be animal like or "non grounded". And muscles are also not needed, plants can already react, think of venus fly traps, mimosa or the way how vines "grab" themselfes aroung things. Even if vnes do this a lot slower. Just think about the florans having a much higher evolved advanced systems of this.

So once again we just ave them a lore conform funny way to reproduce without ever truly saying what happens in the butt rubbing process. could be spores, ot just cell exchange. Doesn't matter we rub butts. We also haven't said about anus contact as birds kinda do. Its just planty budcheeks on planty buttcheeks :p because the sound and feeling fo this fits to the drums the florans play when they make reproduction recemonies. Just for a fun illustration.[/quote][/quote]

14. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

This is a nice information . Thanks!

(just in case someone will ask, I'm a hybrid. half floran,half human)

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  15. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

iirc big ape made experiments with crossing some races so thats not too far off the lore. I once wanted to make a story about such an event too, but then some weird giggling aquatic creature decided the universe has to wipe and all my building that was made to drive the story was GONE.

Gilligan Lanley and Crossfang like this.
  16. Gilligan Lanley

Well crap, that would kill some of joy in writing. I find it easier to write or come up with ideas for stories during/after gameplay.

17. Master Automan IV

Simply, ridiculous.

18. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Nah I haven't written the story, but its very clearly in my head. I had prepared a nice artic planet back then, and it was hard to find due to needing the big ice cube rains and an apex lab, yet no meteors since they would destroy the project randomly. Unless Alzheimer strikes me, the story won't be gone. I just decided to delay it from being written until we surely don't get universe wipes anymore.

19. Gilligan Lanley

Fair enough. :)

20. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    -- Shakespeare