Modding Help Looking to improve Wild Bait

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Lorebot, May 17, 2018.

1. Lorebot

Lorebot Seal Broken

So I really enjoy fishing, but I feel like Wild Bait is just too weak for the material investment you need for it. It doesn't provide any benefit for crab traps, and the improvement over regular bait for fishing is quite small. Regular Bait if 50% faster nibbles, Wild Bait is only 62.5% faster and you get less bait for the same amount of Bug Meat. I did a bit of research and was able to find the crafting recipe for Wild Bait and change it so both recipes require the same amount of Bug Meat, but I can't find if there's a way to change the faster nibble value or allow Bug Meat to apply some other benefit to fishing like a larger green bar or slower escape similar to some of the Tackle items provide.

Does anyone know where or how to find those effects and/or how to change them?

SeeingRed and HopeWasHere like this.
    • Lorebot

Lorebot Seal Broken

I still haven't found a way to do this and I'm beginning to think it's not possible :(

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

You won't be able to do much with pure xnb modding; for example the bite rate change is hardcoded in StardewValley.Tools.FishingRod.DoFunction().

• Lorebot

Lorebot Seal Broken

Okay, so it'd have to be a script of some kind that takes priority over what's coded in the game? I have some coding experience, but I'm really not sure where I'd even start looking to figure out what I'd need to change. Any tutorials or info dumps you could share?

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

It would not be just script, you will really have to code. If it's on the DoFunction method of the Rod, you would have to patch it. It's a little bit more advanced than your regular SMAPI mod.
            If you want to try it, here is the tutorial to get started:
            https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Creating_a_SMAPI_mod
            Once you start, you can probably get more help in the Discord Channel.