looking for games that feel MMOish but play solo.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Qtw, May 1, 2017.

1. Qtw

Qtw Phantasmal Quasar

I am looking for a game that plays similiar to secrets of grindea (find on steam)
    or fantasy life. (on 3ds.)

basically i want a topdown rpg that has progession feel like an MMORPG while being singleplayer.

i dont care if its 3d or 2d. as longs as the game is topdown and has some or all of these features.

moddability. not needed but is a plus.

MMORPG style progression. need to find and/or craft new equipment to stay up as well as leveling up.

crafting.

NPC's to give quests,and shop in.

grinding. unlike most people...i like grinding and farming for stuff. it gives me a sense of progession.
    ...that and i am autistic and like most autisitic people i like doing the same thing repeatedly.

skills and spells. one both or neither is fine. its just a plus.

that is the end of my list.

please no online only games.
    i am sick of playing online and prefer to play alone. i hate dealing with trolls/griefers. so i avoid it entirely.

2. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Diablo 2 all the way. You can play multiplayer, but you don't have to - in fact, the most famous character builds can solo the entire game on any difficulty. It's highly addictive and rewards you for exploring and grinding.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  3. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

I agree!

4. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Torchlight has most of what you are looking for with the exception of crafting.

The game is based off of Fate, which in turn is based off of Diablo, and Torchlight is made by Perfect World Entertainment, a company the makes several MMOs to begin with.

By default there three classes to use that have their own skill sets, but you can add more with mods (along with other things), most of the equipment you find is randomly generated and you have the option to add more boosts to the items by finding an enchantment fountain or the NPC in town (Just be careful since you may get an epic fail and the item becomes junk).

Also you can buy random dungeon scrolls from a few NPCs for endless exploring and grinding.

5. Qtw

Qtw Phantasmal Quasar

sorry but those dont feel right.
    they are not the kind of game i am looking for. i've played both and enjoyed them...but they dont fit the feel of an mmo.

plus i gave two example games that play nothing like torchlight or diablo.

6. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

Hmm, Grindy games with an MMO feel but aren't actually MMOs.
    Does it need to be PC?

Mosou games such as dynasty warriors or dragon warrior heroes. Lots of little upgrades and achievments to wade through.

darksiders 2 has a pretty big world, experience bar, a decent amount of abilities

The dragonball Xenoverse games are pseudo MMO's although the gameplay is different.

Maybe Darksouls, if you were a fan of the wizardry MMO before it was shut down.

Of course Can't forget the elder scrolls games.

If you have a 3ds
    Monster hunter, LBX

also secrets of grindea looks pretty nice, vaguely reminds me of maple story.

7. Hidari

Hidari Over 9000!!!

It's an older game, not for PC (though you MIGHT be able to emulate it, if you're willing to go that route, but please don't ask for how or where to find a ROM/emulator)...

Have you heard of .hack? There was a series of games on the PS2. It's a solo game where the in-world story took place INSIDE an MMORPG. As such, it's basically a solo MMORPG.

8. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

If its a PS2 game, a good emulator for it would be PCSX2, and it can work with both the .iso files or the actual game disks, its just very tricky to get the BIOS file needed to make the emulator work. The emulator is easy to find on a web search, but you may have to check several sites for the ROMs or places that still sell the game disks.

9. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Closest thing I can think of is "Cube World" and that one suffers from the case of "Eternal development curse" and updates are seemingly quite infrequent. I don't think it's even currently available.
    It might be on steam later when it's more polished I guess, but I wouldn't focus on waiting on it.

From what I can tell, it runs mostly in singleplayer, though you could also play along with a friend group. (Not sure if that's a server, or direct "join and play" hosting?) NPC's, quests, leveling, monsters, bosses, pets, that sorta thing. Last update I heard about was going to improve the dungeons to make them more difficult and longer, as they seemed really short before.

Some a little less hidden would be Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Fallout: New Vegas, they're a little old now but both are available on Steam, lots of weird quests, leveling, exploration, and the sense of RPG progression though they're singleplayer only and less "MMO-ish". Both are quite capable of mods though, but a fair bit of the mods seem far too focused on making rather unrealistic "Armor".

10. SDVFan

SDVFan Void-Bound Voyager

Torchlight II
    Diablo II
    Pillars of Eternity
    Grim Dawn
    Titan Quest

11. IonTichy

IonTichy Master Chief

Path of Exile is pretty good!
    And free to play (without being pay to win).

Lot's of loot to be collected, interesting crafting mechanisms and an incredibly flexible skill tree.

12. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

People already suggested Diablo 2 and I can see why that doesn't fit. But consider Diablo 2 with the Eastern Sun mod. It doesn't change the story so you won't get quests and such but it does add a lot to the game like new skills and new items. It also has a very good crafting/upgrading progression through new runewords and "gemwords" for nearly any level of play (it adds all new runes/runewords with the option to craft all the old ones). You can also enhance items a ton with new monster drops. There's also a bunch of high level farming areas, some of which are completely new or reworked. It also includes PlugY and all that that brings (like infinite stash to store all the new loot). The downside is that, as far as I can see and figure out, it is no longer being developed. This means it won't work with the newest patch for D2. The latest patch I remember playing it on was some iteration of 1.12. So you'll have to manually downgrade or simply not patch. And, of course, this is a mod for an existing game. Meaning moddability is also impossible. I can't say much for any other D2 mods because I've only ever played Eastern Sun. Check it out and see if it's interesting to you.

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Features

I_am_the_Storm likes this.