1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Longer Ship Travel Time 2.53

Lengthen the time needed to travel for a more immersive experience.

1. iroaseta

iroaseta Aquatic Astronaut

Iroaseta submitted a new mod:

Longer Ship Travel Time - Lengthen the time needed to travel for a more immersive experience.

Read more about this mod...

2. Falling Tide

Falling Tide Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was thinking about getting this, but then I noticed you made it a 10 min wait time. Would it be possible to also make a longer one but with a shorter time like 3 mins?

3. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

4. Falling Tide

Falling Tide Scruffy Nerf-Herder

5. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

6. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  7. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I like it. One could also say this adds a logistics aspect to the game because you have to eat in that time so you do need to prep. Possibly also disable teleporters during FTL(I could help with this if needed).

And I feel like this is just ASKING for randomized/occasional mid-FTL pirate/cultist/Minikog/etc attacks. Perhaps a codex or quest explanation that you're cloaked normally but the cloaking system can't function in FTL, the FTL signatures are easy to detect, etc. Of course for that to matter... players need to be vulnerable to damage or the attacks are meaningless. But I feel it could all come together.

And when I say teleporters disabled... maybe the teleporters can still beam you onto the attacking vessel(because they're also in FTL) which is just an instanced dungeon that looks like a ship.

Yeah that probably blows past the scope of this mod. But I think it could be cool.

Maethendias and Iroaseta like this.
  9. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

I'm not sure if it's just me but isn't teleporter disabled by default whenever your ship begins to travel and it'll remain so until you reach your destination? Unless you're talking about multiplayer then yeah, other players can still teleport to your ship but not the other way around.

This sounds really cool, but I may have to wait until the Space Station mod has a functioning one, then I'll ask permission to 'reverse engineer' it and see if it's possible to do so.
    Of course! If it's possible to do that in the first place though.

I'll give this a deep consideration and see what can I get out of the base assets Starbound and a few other mods can offer. I'm no fans of lua (yet) so the chance is (possibly) quite slim.

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Why not just change the sound? Then you can increase the FTL duration for interstellar travel only rather than making interplanetary and interstellar travel the same duration. That way traveling within a system is not such a long trek on par with traveling to another star, thus making you focus on getting the most out of a single star before packing up to move on.

11. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

To be honest I dislike the scene during the FTL as well. It makes me a bit dizzy if I have to stare at it for a long time. Possibly because my eyes are attracted and tried to follow the huge stars.

Are you trying to say that FTL sequence will only initiate when you're moving from star to star but not planet to planet within the same star system? O.O

12. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Disable the star graphics they add. They are listed under "hyperlist" in the sky.config. Patch them out and that should work.

Yup. The FTL sequence is only for actual FTL travels between stars, That default 30 second stretch. Otherwise it is just the wind-up and wind-down sequences for between planets in the same system.

Iroaseta likes this.
  13. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

Alright, I'll take a look for it when I'm home. A huge thanks to you! I must give you credit. :3

14. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Follow the link :p
    Not only is it possible... it is reality. That's my mod I linked that hooks into the player scripts to defeat the silly damage invulnerability the vanilla scripts give you. Also an immersion issue especially on large ships with long fall distances. As a point of demonstration, I had a character take a refreshing lava bath.

If you find that useful for any plans you want to implement, you can certainly include the code. Well since I left it open permissions, I suppose such permissions are implied. If not, oh well.

If you wanted conditional events to happen(one of those conditions being the player can take damage), I also left a note on that page for modders on how to easily detect if such a mod is in play. I intentionally added something that makes it VERY easy(a convention I hope to will catch on where useful).

Such attack events are something I was considering adding to the Shipyard Rebuilt mod(or should it be separate?) anyhow. But the prolonged FTL seems like it completes the idea. And as you say... it adds immersion too.

15. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

I meant to say if it's possible to add in those invasions in the first place. Sorry for not making it clear. :3

Noted, I'll make sure I read through them thoroughly when I need them!

16. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

Iroaseta updated Longer Ship Travel Time with a new update entry:

Changed to be a little more proportional to the distance (somewhat)!

Read the rest of this update entry...

17. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

Learned a few things about path today. I was scratching my head real hard since it's my first time dealing with it for "hyperlist".
    I'm just wondering though, is it impossible to include both "replace" and "remove" in the same patch? I tried remove but it failed. So I used invisible png and a .ogg file without any sound instead.

18. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

An idea - add an object that gives you estimated travel time remaining. Yes I could easily make this object myself, but what purpose would it serve with vanilla travel time? So it clearly makes more sense as part of this mod.

Idea2 - perhaps a version of the mod that doesn't change any sounds, doesn't change any graphics. Yes for my own personal tastes I can easily make this happen, but not everyone (I'd guess most people) are comfortable modifying things.

As for patching, yes you can remove and replace in the same patch. I assume you mean conditionally?
    http://helmet.kafuka.org/sbmods/json/
    Scroll down to "Extensions"

19. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

That sounds cool but I don't believe I can do that within my little knowledge about lua stuffs for now. Unless you're willing to collaborate it into this mod, which of course will be given full credits for that implementation!

I'm actually feeling quite mixed about this for a long time, mostly because I'm one who prefer to teach others how to fish instead of giving fish. But I'll consider this.

I've actually no idea what went wrong. Let's say, if I change

{ "op": "replace", "path": "/hyperspaceAudio", "value": "/sfx/interface/hyperspace_loop1.ogg" },

Into

{ "op": "remove", "path": "/hyperspaceAudio" },

Or

{ "op": "remove", "path": "/hyperspaceAudio", "value": "/sfx/interface/hyperspace_loop.ogg" },

The whole patch is not working anymore.

I tried reading the link you provided but sadly it doesn't provide much information that I can understand (just my own issue comprehending the whole thing), is it just adding inverse into the line?

20. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Well you don't assign a value when you're removing something, so that 2nd idea is no go.

You can do

Code:
    [
    {
      "op": "replace",
      "path": "/hyperspaceAudio",
      "value": null
    }
    ]

But I don't know how the code that reads the file would react because I've never tried. You could try it.
    Code:
    [
    {
      "op": "remove",
      "path": "/hyperspaceAudio"
    }
    ]

That's the standard way.

But you could also do this
    Code:
    [
    [
      {
        "op": "test",
        "path": "/hyperspaceAudio",
        "inverse": false
       },
      {
        "op": "remove",
        "path": "/hyperspaceAudio"
       }
    ]
    ]

And if you want to know the difference, that last example puts it into a batch contained within the extra set of brackets. There is a test condition to see if "/hyperspaceAudio" exists. If not, the rest of the batch won't run. However any other separate batches will. I believe the test operation could test for a value at that path too, but I've never done so myself. "inverse" reverses the condition. If "inverse" was true, then the lack of that path would satisfy the condition.

Now you're saying you removed "/hyperspaceAudio" and the patch doesn't work? What log errors are you getting? Keep in mind that without dividing into batches(thus you have one big batch), one failed operation will abort the ones after it.