1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Digital Lodish's new art thread - Long live the King

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lodish, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

It's because when you're tired, your brain shuts down the more intensive section of your brain (the "Left" section) which handles all the fretful stresses of trying to be calculated and making things look "right" while the "right" section takes over and you just draw all the basic shapes and designs and colors for the drawings, set only on recreating what it sees rather than distorting it to match the constraints of the left.

BigBlueFish, Firebird Zoom and Lodish like this.
  2. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Alright everyone, time for, well, another kind of update. The kind of update without drawings, only words.

Okay, this may seem scary. Do not worry, everything is fine and so am I.

As you know, since I've got a tablet, I've been very involved into drawing. I have a lot of projects and side projects, as well as a lot of deadlines (two monthly drawing threads and a weekly comic) and works with-no-set-limit-but-it-wouldn't-be-nice-to-wait-two-months-before-working-on-these (requests). This led me to a state of constant stress whenever I was doing something else than drawing, and this have been going on for the past week. This is very hard to bear, and this certainly didn't help me to learn to draw. As a matter of fact, this is my second point.

I will not lie, I've been very dissatisfied with my latest works. My lack of knowledge, and the little time I take to sit down and learn make me draw stuff half-randomly, and more often than not I find myself to be entirely lost about what is the next step. To the point where I end up redoing the same part four, five times over two days, and still disliking how it looks.

I need to find a style, a way to draw that I am comfortable with. This is the thing I am lacking.

I don't like to say that, but I am going to suspend all of my projects and requests for a while. How long exactly? I do not know. And I am not going to give any date, I'll resume these when I'll feel ready to; I don't want to return to this vicious circle of stress again.

So, let's make things clear:

-I will put everything I planned on hiatus. The duration of the hiatus is unknown, but I will post some news on that regularly, so you'll know when the hiatus is lifted.

-Requests aren't cancelled by any means, I'll work on them as soon as I feel ready to do so.

-This thread will still be updated twice a week, on wednesdays and sundays, with the drawings I did during the meantime. Not like I was going to abandon this thread after two months.

-Drawings will mostly consist of random stuff made using models found across the internet, and occasionally some experiments on requests.​

Well, I guess that's about it. I feel like there's an art block waiting for me right around the corner, and I want to take measures before I fall right into it.
    If you have any question, ask me and I will answer.

Finally...

I'd like to adress a huge 'Thank you' to everyone who supported me, for I wouldn't be there without you. I won't disappoint you, I cannot afford myself to.

I hope you guys understand.

And for now, I need to sleep. "La nuit porte conseil", the night bears advice, as we say here.

3. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

As a person who has had a similar experience, I agree with your decision and am perfectly fine with it.

Lodish likes this.
  4. BigBlueFish

BigBlueFish Void-Bound Voyager

Take however long you want nobody is in a rush. Don't force yourself to update or satisfy just focus on you until you feel like you can post again

Lodish and Firebird Zoom like this.
  5. Witch Cat

Witch Cat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Lodish That's totally fine! Take as long as you need, you've been extremely kind and generous to us and you deserve more than a break. Hope to cya soon again.

6. Jareix Cryvix

You'll find it man, I know you will.

Firebird Zoom and Lodish like this.
  7. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Zoop, time for an update!

First things first...
    To everyone, thank you so much for understanding my position, and for your support too. You know that already, but I wouldn't have made it this far without you all.
    I've been much better lately, I took kind of a break for the past days, drawing a bit less and spending more time on sleeping, playing and other whatnot. And at the end of the day, I felt much more accomplished, because what little I did was not rushed for once.

Anyway, that's enough words from me, here comes the drawings!

An avali staring at a screen, because i liked that idea. I like his "not mentally sane" smile c:
    avali_screenstare.png

A portrait of my waifu Freya, a character from Final Fantasy IX. I made this using a model and a fairly simple drawing method I have high hopes in. Who would have guessed that a sketchy lineart, sketchy colours and shading would give something decent?
    freya_practice.png

More practice with that method, with this time an original creation. I really like how naturally this dude came into my mind as I drew...
    sword_dude.png

Well, that's it for today. As you may have noticed, I have very high hopes into this kind of drawing, as it would fix most of the problems I am facing if I manage to master it...

Well, time for me to sleep now. Until then, everyone! :zzzweetdreams:

Arra, rhomboid, Yzzey and 5 others like this.
  8. Witch Cat

Witch Cat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love them! Glad to see you're feeling better

9. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Merp morp, time for an update!

A fairly "I had no idea of what to do" edit of this scary dude, I tried to add more shading, or in that case, lighting. Welp, it's almost unnoticeable.
    sword_dude.png
    You can put the two pictures next to eachother, I swear they're different >w<

And now for some sketchy stuff!
    A veeeery early sketch of a dashing spess raptor with a spear, although it's kinda hard to see anything in this mess yetX3
    speardashvali.png

Another space repter, this time wielding two swords, in an... adventurer pose, I guess?
    dualswordvali.png
    That's what I'd do if I was an adventurer anyway.

More spractice using FFIX artowrks as mdoels, expect to see a lot of them in the future >w< (I've downloaded a bunch of official artwork for practicing, they're really great!)
    FFIX_magicvice.png
    I also really like this unfinished look, it really gives it some kind of a...
    ...I don't know, I love sketchy drawings.

And finally, a totally canon and not magically-engineered avali, because I wanted to make myself a new profile picture with shiny colors.
    hoodvali.png
    I just love sketchy stuff.

sketchy

That's all for today, hope you guys like it! :catsparkle:

By the way, school starts again tomorrow so I won't have as much free time as I had in the past two weeks. Still, I'm starting to like my works again, I feel more comfortable drawing and I think I found a style I like.

Meaning that the hiatus may be lifted soon enough.

Until then! :zzzweetdreams:

10. Firebird Zoom

Mind if I make a request? I honestly don't care about how long it takes, in my opinion, time makes it better. (WORDS!)

11. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

I'm pretty sure you made one already but eh, by the time I start working on it we'll have discovered FTL travel and a way to boil eggs without water :avalibleh:

So sure, go ahead!

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  12. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Neet noot! It's update o' clock!

Updated version of this little fella, with some colours and simple-ish shading. Note the extremely minimalistic colour palette.
    FFIX_magicvice.png

Welp, no other new stuff to show today... Ah, we have something there.

The weaker version of the above dude, I totally didn't draw this during an exam. No, that would be silly. And I'm not silly.
    IMG_20170301_223952.jpg

And another doodle that I didn't do during an exam either. I did it before reading the subject olol
    IMG_20170301_223919.jpg
    This one is a bit more important than the first one, since I want to make something out of it, and if it turns out like I want it to be, it'll be awesome.

That's all for today! Sorry for the lack of tablet drawings, I've been a bit busy these days overwatch cough, but be sure there will be some cool new stuff on the next update!

Also, FFIX's OST is simply awesome, especially for drawing. That, and Starbound's OST too.

Until then! :zzzweetdreams:

P.S:
    I'm still waiting, what's your request? :avalibleh:

13. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

It's been a week already, when will you tell me what do you want? :catrage:

*aherm*

Time for an update!

An update for this lil' dude here, with moar sketchy stuff c:
    dualswordvali.png
    The legs are still messed up though...

This one is a little bit special, as it is a rework of one of my older pieces!
    gray_rework.png
    You know, this one:
    [​IMG]
    The shading isn't done yet, but I'm glad of what I did so far. It feels weird to see my old art again, though...

title.png
    The Unnamed Comic is back! Or Ask Lodish, if you prefer it that way.

The comic is back on tracks, after two weeks of hiatus! No questions answered for today, but they will sure be for the next week!

Oh, and...
    hiatus.png
    After two weeks of drawing and practicing on random stuff, I feel confident enough to resume requests. Thank you everyone for your patience, I hope I won't disappoint you after letting you wait for so long...

And that is all for today. I just went through a bit of an emotional rollercoaster in the past days, and some major concerns about my future.
    Hopefully things are better now, but I have quite a lot of work waiting for me right around the corner, so the next update may have a bit less content.

Thank you all for following me despite my whims.

:zzzweetdreams:

14. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

Wooo! Let us celebrate the finish of the hiatus with cake! :catbleh:

15. Jareix Cryvix

Here's a question lodish...
    What are your dreams...?

16. Firebird Zoom

Sorry, I forgot I made the request.
    Anyways, I would like you to draw a character I created named Kora. Here's the App I used:
    I would like for both aspects of her personality to be seen in the picture, but you can choose to do either one or the other.
    A few notes:
    1. Cheshire's mask would resemble Marvellous Chester's.
    2. The Melano look like a less harsh version of the Kahjitt ((I'm pretty sure I misspelled that)).

Lodish likes this.
  17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Supernova

Let's celebrate with a... celebration!
    *confetti*

18. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

*celebrates loudly*

Will do!

What are my dreams?

To become an artist.
    Not the best one there is, nor to live from it. If I could reach any of these two, that would be awesome, but this isn't my goal.
    All I want is to please people with my art, to draw for those who can't, and for those who can aswell.

I had so many projects in mind for months, and they are within my reach now.

My dream is to give people dreams. Just like other artists gave me the dream to draw.

19. Firebird Zoom

Well said, Lode, well said.

Lodish likes this.
  20. Jareix Cryvix

Hopefully I can at least help you achieve it if I don't. :p

Firebird Zoom and Lodish like this.