1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Little confused on servers and how they work in-game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by liamdawe, Dec 5, 2013.

1. liamdawe

liamdawe Subatomic Cosmonaut

So im testing out a server right now and it lets me connect with my single player character with all my items but the quest line starts all over again.

After doing a quest it seems to then jump ahead 2 quests, did that quest, then it jumped ahead to the first contact quest, little confusing.

Is that normal, is this how it works, you take your single player stuff online?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. Darloth

Darloth Poptop Tamer

The server reads both characters' save files (from each individual player's computer) and the world file (from the server computer) and combines them to make the universe instance. If anyone makes a new character, it will also put them all together on one randomly chosen starter world. In short, yeah, this is normal behaviour as far as we can tell. I'd guess that it's probably intended behaviour also.

You're seeing it jump quests because your singleplayer character almost certainly has filled all the criteria for completion of a quest or two - typically, you have a matter manipulator, you have a crafting table in the world, and you'll probably have some iron bars and a furnace. Which quests each character has done seem to be stored separately in the universe file for the server though, so you'll see these on every new server.

3. liamdawe

liamdawe Subatomic Cosmonaut

So your items, money etc is stored locally, all else like quests, location etc is stored by each server?

4. Darloth

Darloth Poptop Tamer

As far as I can tell, yes. Additionally, if you play in singleplayer, you'll be changing the world file on your local computer. If you then use that computer to host a server, it will reflect those changes in multiplayer.

This happens in reverse too - if someone flattens and astroturfs a planet on your local server and you let it save, and then you go visit that planet in singleplayer, it will still be flat and covered in whatever.