List of Announced Game Information (Retired due to release)

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Blue, Feb 24, 2012.

1. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

It's been here a VERY long time and it's been supported by Blue the whole time. If there was false info then the admins would have had it removed. It's all correct unless it has recently been changed.

2. Skippy3

Skippy3 Pangalactic Porcupine

I imagine this is updated quite often, and I doubt the admins have the time to carefully read through to check for misinformation every time it is.

3. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

You think that a stickied list of announced game information made by a moderator would be incorrect? Mind you, Blue was Production Manager and did PR for Terraria from Jan to Aug of 2011 (he's no longer affiliated with Re-logic though). Pretty sure he's legit. But, if you have a question about something, just ask. No need to discredit it.

WoxandWarf and linkthegamer like this.
  4. Skippy3

Skippy3 Pangalactic Porcupine

He's not a developer and he doesn't get any kind of exclusive insider on the game. Chances are, not everything he believes about the game are correct.

5. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

He's one of the private beta testers.

6. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

and that is why assumptions are stupid ladies and gentleman.

p.s.: your avi looks rly evil omni...

xboy777, WoxandWarf, Mianso and 2 others like this.
  7. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

An AWESOME durability system is still an annoying durability system.
    We already have ammo and shiels to care about. Constantly having to repair your stuff gets frustrating real fast.

Also, the durability system works well in games with few items (like Boringcraft), but Starbound has far too many different randomly generated weapons, and it would simply get in the way.

8. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Well I do believe your doubts should be cleared up by OmnipotentEntity, one of the very developers of Starbound. They're quite aware of this thread, it's STICKIED for a reason. Chucklefish wouldn't allow it to be if it was showing false information.

9. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

It should be added to OP that there will be the SB preview at Insomnia Gaming Festival from August the 23rd to 26th. Logic would then dictate that the public pre-release of SB is going to have to be after the festival, though not necessarily immediately after (but I would like to think so).

10. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Let's just not make assumptions or "rleasdagumnow!" pepole will post the same release date thread, again.

11. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

I'm just excited to see a preview of SB.

12. RedDire

RedDire Cosmic Narwhal

You act as if tools break in 10 seconds. I don't see anyone going crazy about Minecraft's (CrapCraft) durability. Why would they go batshit about Starbound's? Also, what do RGWs have to do with anything?

P.S.: Stop wanting everything to be spoon-fed to you. If you're too lazy to click a button and teleport to your ship, you're gonna have a bad time with indie games.

I laugh 'cause, after Omni's post, you seem like the most foolish guy in the Starbound forum.
    (No offense, of course.)

13. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

Damnit people. Reading comprehension.

14. RedDire

RedDire Cosmic Narwhal

I'm aware you said that. I was just making a point. Durability doesn't "differ" throughout games. You use it > Durability lowers.
    I meant that if Minecraft is doing fine with durability, it's an impossibility for any other game to fail. Unless, of course, developers go full retard and make weapons break after 1 use.

15. Durability can be implemented differently and for different reasons.
    If we only look at MMO:s durability systems, those are designed to remove money from the game and, if no repairs are possible, to keep you grinding.
    Poorly thought out durability systems are worse than none at all, but if the system is done with a fair purpose in mind and is balanced to work with the other game mechanics, it might be more fulfilling than without.

Anyway, stop comparing a gameplay mechanic to other games if you don't even have a grasp on how the mechanic is implemented. It's somewhat on the same level as comparing Starbound's graphics to Crysis 3 or whatever.

16. RedDire

RedDire Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, I don't fully understand what you're saying there. Rephrase?
    Are you talking about repairing broken tools? 'Cause that's not what I was talking about. I'm just specifically talking about durability itself. As in the use limit.

But, anyway, can you tell me what the problem is with clicking a button and getting your tools repaired? I honestly don't know and Filip is acting like it's Mission Impossible.

17. Well it isn't that simple.
    If you're in a cave, and you really don't want to leave because you've hit the jackpot with chests/good ore, the only way to repair is with other ore.
    So it's not just hitting a button, unless you want to go all the way back to your ship.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm not siding with him.
    I think that this system is great, because if this cave is so amazing that you have to stay, then you'll most likely find the ores you need and repair your tools.
    Now mining will actually involve some thinking, because it's not just scavenging for the super strong ores, but also for weaker ones for repairing.

Also, Filip: Weapons don't break (or become unusable or whatever you wanna call it), only tools do.

18. RedDire

RedDire Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, and that's what the devs want you to do. Think strategically before going "L0l lemme g0 mine w1th th1s have brkn pikax 'cause fartz".

In Red: I was gonna strike-through the "weapons" I put in my posts and mention that as well but I was too lazy.

AstroBlast likes this.
  19. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

What are you talking about exactly? Ammunition was removed. (link) Shields you mean energy? Shields don't break. Durability only applies to tools and tools only. Pickaxe, chainsaw, hammer, etc. You won't be carrying around multiple tiers of the same tools, you'll only use what's most available to you. As others have said you can only teleport to your ship while on the surface of a planet so why is the 'hitting a button to repair' even a thing? I understand that you are advocating the removal of tedium but when something is only effecting your behaviors to keep one from expanding to fast too early it is then consider a roadblock mechanic not a tedious action. Once you're rich with minerals you won't give two flying mammoth whales about the repair process since you can just keep them sharp on your own terms.

20. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

i think it was also said you could "consume" ore of the tool's level to "resharpen" it

Quantum likes this.