1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Linux support at beta?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Vitez, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Actually, much the contrary. It's less work, because we have only one code base that works on all three platforms, we write portable code as we go, which is much, much easier (and less annoying) than rejiggering existing Windows only code to be portable.

love doctor, Lawls, Baleine and 2 others like this.
  2. That's a good way to go then! Then it means several OS versions at BETA (likely uh)... Keep up the nice work :lolwut:

3. darethen

darethen Big Damn Hero

very nice great job guys!!!

4. Baleine

Baleine Big Damn Hero

As a professional software developer, I dig that. This is how you're making good code and avoid having to fix platforms-based problems (although there's still some nasty bugs that is more likely to occur here or there)

5. Lawls

Lawls Space Kumquat

Oh wow this is a grand thing. I've honestly never heard of a code like this until now.

6. genobee

genobee Star Wrangler

Hence the game is written in C++ and OpenGL for portability. Love you guys :love:

7. Baleine

Baleine Big Damn Hero

This could as well be based on XNA/Monogame (that wouldn't surprise me)

8. Asrashas

Asrashas Subatomic Cosmonaut

Aren't Mono and Monogame only cross platform implementations of .NET and XNA? And written not by Microsoft who originally developed .NET and XNA. Therefore written by third partys without using the original .NET and XNA code. If I think right it would be not as stable and portable as C++ and OpenGL since there may be differences between XNA and Monogame. Just curious because I thought it would work that way. Maybe I'm wrong.

9. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

It's not.

They are. And you're right in that they're not quite there yet in my opinion.

Anyway, as documented in several other places, we're using C++. We're writing code to the C++11 standard. We've kept the OS specific stuff to a bare handful of places, and we've abstracted away the usage of these things into friendly, OS neutral APIs.

If you don't want to use C++, Java is probably a better choice for cross platform compatibility than C#.

10. cactar54

cactar54 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh and Omni I am glad to hear that you are specifically a Linux guy because that means us Linux gamers will actually have better support than other scenarios where people try and port a game to Linux but don't know much about it so it ends up being scrapped or a crappy port.

love doctor and OmnipotentEntity like this.
  11. Baleine

Baleine Big Damn Hero

That's cool to know, thanks for the heads-up. I thought about the simple solution because Terraria was in XNA. I'm not well-aware about all this because I'm mostly developing industrial soft. Keep up the good work then :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.