1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Linux support at beta?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Vitez, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vitez

Vitez Orbital Explorer

Is the beta going to have Linux support?Or is it going to get Linux once it's released?

2. Lapinaz

Lapinaz Space Hobo

I hope it will be available on mac too

3. It's UNLIKELY for Beta, for Launch Mac/Linux version is confirmed.

Linux > Mac Support will be added when the game is Complete Already, not before that (it's always one of the last things that is done).

4. Gandolaro

Gandolaro Industrial Terraformer

I'm not so sure of this. One of the dev on IRC as stated that devs/friends already develop/plays the game on both three OS actually.

nickkeane likes this.
  5. The same IRC already had discussions, and hot ones about such thing would require extra work to devs to make it possible to beta (a non-final version of the game), and then make it possible again for the final version. o_O

6. Gandolaro

Gandolaro Industrial Terraformer

Yeah... maybe I explained bad. The game for now is already playable on both OS. It can be a choice of the developers to support only a OS in beta phase to simplify things.

7. Yes, it will depend if they by then have a stable enough game with support to several OS (also stable). Most of the games I played even, only added OS support after launch. And others as Terraria for example, never did it.

nababoo likes this.
  8. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

since its windows mac and linux at release im going to say that beta will probably be all three because to launch it all the same time at release suggests they have been working on the three versions simultaneously
    also they already use all three when play testing with each other

also kyren develops osx while omni does linux and tiy uses windows 8 thats why it takes so long to develop

9. Bartwe develops on Windows, kyren on OSX, and Omni on Linux.

I don't see any issues.

Alvin Flummox likes this.
  10. You are making 3 Games at the same time?! Wasn't it supposed to be 1 game version, then coded to be compatible with different OS? :sarcasm:

11. V For Vendetta

V For Vendetta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's what I thought. I would get the most popular OS finished and release, then work on the others.

12. love doctor

nope because if they did it that way it wouldnt be able to be compatible with all 3 oses at launch also omni is specifically linux guy its all he runs what good would he be if they focused windows or osx 1st

13. But they are developing the Same version of the game. This for me would contradict the basis of developing a game with multi-support, it always work you get the Principal OS version finished (always windows), then work in make that same version compatible with the other OS. It will work After-Launch where the developers get several versions to continue and update, but the main Core Content is always made in ONE and propagated to the others. o_O

14. Quixotic

Quixotic Big Damn Hero

Considering that Tiy himself routinely plays on a Mac, we can pretty much guarantee at least the Mac and Windows version are being developed simultaneously.

15. cactar54

cactar54 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I personally play on Linux and Windows so I am hoping that the Linux version is in the beta and gets updates the same time as the Mac and Windows versions. And I am hoping that they won't patch one version of the game for a specific OS as soon as the patch is ready but instead wait till the version for all 3 OS's are ready and then patch it all at once! (I highly doubt they wouldn't but you never know)

16. For me MAC and LINUX versions at BETA would only mean more work to the DEVS:
    - They would need to update both 3 versions of the game with every update that will launch with Fixes / etc...

17. Not if they develop for all 3 simultaneously.

18. It's possible indeed, I assume it depends of how they are building it to work. Some games really need mad reworks to make it work in MAC/Linux. :giggle:

19. love doctor

traditionally you would be right but chuckle fish isnt traditional from the way the games been drafted to the screens they show us to everything they do they consistently prove there free spirits i n there thinking also developing all 3 versions simultaneously as they are also explains why it takes them a while on getting the features working right

Lawls and Bacon like this.
  20. Blankness

Blankness Void-Bound Voyager

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.