Limitation of protective backpacks

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Sharp(JQ), Aug 15, 2016.

1. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

This is a Mobile Equipment and it must be temporary. For example, each backpack works only a certain amount of time (upgrades possible) and then requires recharging, on the ship or on the base. If I want to live on this planet, I have to build a heater, a cooler or an air purifier. (It is also desirable gravity generator). Moreover, the planet can have a "pure zone", such as warm sites among snow. Now everything is too easy.

2. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Damn right

3. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

That sounds like making an unnecessarily complex mechanic. Right now, all you have to do is make the EPP. You're suggesting to go back to how Temperature used to act in cold planets: Either stay near a specific furniture item, or die.
    If this were to be done, the result would most likely be in the "Scrappy Mechanic" list really quickly, specially among builders, as whatever stationary generator is used would clash with quite a few building styles.

4. alextulinov

True but the generator could fit in,the glitch would have a huge furnace,the apex a highly technological hear generator,humans could just just use space heaters,hylotl could have a boiler that sprouts steam and heats rooms and the Avians could have bonfires or whatever,florans and novakid a though...

5. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

And? What about the radiation one? And that is when ONLY that is taken into account. I doubt anyone would like having to arbitrarily withdraw while exploring because their EPP is running out, specially while underground.

6. alextulinov

Yeah can't deny that and neither can o give any suggestions to fix that

7. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

That's what I want. Now all these difficulties, it's just a leash to the player. I have created a device - I got a new planet.

8. sagenth

sagenth Pangalactic Porcupine

Sounds like a job for mods. I like the idea, but I doubt CF is gonna go for such an expensive endeavor. From what I've read already they would not only be rebalancing mechanics but also making a bunch of new art. Which would be fine if the artist creates the best art they possibly can on iteration numero uno. Seems like a thing Fracking Universe ought to have. Then again, it seems like vanilla starbound should be fracking universe. I propose we create a petition to propose hiring all the folks involved in fracking universe into the CF family.

9. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

In fact, nothing complicated. Minimum required models, the mechanics have worked previously. But it will allow us to feel like the researcher. Now the game is too linear, it is unacceptable for the sandboxes.

PS If the backpack is discharged into the dungeon, is possible to add the ability to make or buy a battery that allows to charge the device, but not fully.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016